Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A ridiculous statement. I have been all over Greenville. I've been there dozens of time on business and visiting family members. Maybe it's a hair better than Columbia. But it certainly lacks the panache of Charleston and the size and amenities of Birmingham.
Panache' and Birmingham should never, ever be in the same sentence together unless you were to say, "Birmingham is a city that lacks panache'". I like Charleston, but it is waaay more humid then Greenville, not nearly the amount of high paying jobs, with the exception of Boeing, as it is mostly tourist based and the terrain is flat. It does have great beaches close by, so that is a major plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, Columbia is considerably warmer than Birmingham. In fact, central SC is possibly the warmest region east of the Mississippi, outside of Florida.
Yup, Columbia essentially sits in the bottom of a bowl; a hot, humid, sticky bowl.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Panache' and Birmingham should never, ever be in the same sentence together unless you were to say, "Birmingham is a city that lacks panache'". I like Charleston, but it is waaay more humid then Greenville, not nearly the amount of high paying jobs, with the exception of Boeing, as it is mostly tourist based and the terrain is flat. It does have great beaches close by, so that is a major plus.
He said "the panache of Charleston".

Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Yup, Columbia essentially sits in the bottom of a bowl; a hot, humid, sticky bowl.
I'm from Southeast Texas, so it's nothing to me, but I did notice that Columbia was quite a bit warmer than surrounding cities in the SE.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM

139 posts, read 501,269 times
It seems strange that there is so much love for South Carolina and Alabama but virtually none for Florida, Georgia, Mississippi or Louisiana. Is this because of the economy, or simply because there are more people on here from those states?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
He said "the panache of Charleston".
You are right, I stand corrected. My apologies.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
It seems strange that there is so much love for South Carolina and Alabama but virtually none for Florida, Georgia, Mississippi or Louisiana. Is this because of the economy, or simply because there are more people on here from those states?
Florida is flat, humid and full of bugs. Plus the economy is almost entirely tourist based, but it has nice beaches. It seems that half of Florida has moved to the Carolinas in the past five years and they're called "half backs". When I asked someone why he was called a half back, he said, "because we moved half way back to where we're originally from". Georgia is great, Atlanta is a huge metropolis though, everything and anything that you cfould want from a big city and the traffic is horrific. Mississippi; practically last in almost ever quality of life index, Louisiana, similar to Mississippi. Basically the entire Southeast with the exception of Mississippi and La. have seen tremendous growth over the past 10 years for reasons already mentioned. In the last census, I think that 7 out of the 10 states that grew the most in population over the past decade were in the Southeast. P.S. Did you check out the pics of Grenville that I posted?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Florida is flat, humid and full of bugs. Plus the economy is almost entirely tourist based, but it has nice beaches. It seems that half of Florida has moved to the Carolinas in the past five years and they're called "half backs". When I asked someone why he was called a half back, he said, "because we moved half way back to where we're originally from". Georgia is great, Atlanta is a huge metropolis though, everything and anything that you cfould want from a big city and the traffic is horrific. Mississippi; practically last in almost ever quality of life index, Louisiana, similar to Mississippi. Basically the entire Southeast with the exception of Mississippi and La. have seen tremendous growth over the past 10 years for reasons already mentioned. In the last census, I think that 7 out of the 10 states that grew the most in population over the past decade were in the Southeast. P.S. Did you check out the pics of Grenville that I posted?
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some of this seems pretty harsh. "Flat, humid, and full of bugs" is how much of the south could be described, and, quite frankly, most of our gem cities fit that description: New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, etc.

Greenville is nice, but, like everywhere else, it has its flaws.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but some of this seems pretty harsh. "Flat, humid, and full of bugs" is how much of the south could be described, and, quite frankly, most of our gem cities fit that description: New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, etc.

Greenville is nice, but, like everywhere else, it has its flaws.
I don't think NO is a "gem city" at all. I think it's a dump. Yes, Greenville has flaws; terrible allergies, awful pollen and ragweed, poor road signage and lack of sidewalks other than downtown, and you can still smoke inside some restaurants in some of the neighboring cities. But as someone who has lived all over the country, it really is pretty awesome.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
Personally, I'm not familiar enough with your field to say which place would be the best, but for the rest of your requirements, there will be something for you in every single southern state across the board.

If you could list some more specifics about your ideal setting, it might help us zero in on a specific place for you. What type of recreational activities do you prefer? Is nightlife of any importance? Food? Shopping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.