Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM

40 posts, read 43,378 times

Advertisements

Being that this is an all-US type question figured I would post in this forum.

Now before anyone jumps on and says DC, obviously thats #1. But I have lived in DC and now in the Baltimore area and am looking for a change. I'd like to live somewhere with a lot less traffic, better quality of life/cost of living ratio, and just more than what I'm getting from here. I'm young (24), single guy and have been getting the itch to get out of the NE/Mid-Atlantic. I've lived in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, DC and Baltimore, and I think I need to experience someplace new. Obviously I have a very good job here as a contractor, so I am not moving anywhere without a sure job first.

I'd like to get some input from the CD powers of places to focus my attention on, and some I may have overlooked. Or if I am looking at the wrong cities for these types of jobs.

I love being outdoors, I don't mind the cold, but Buffalo-style winters I am over. Being young and single I'd like someplace with a lot going on for the younger crowd, but someplace that also offers the opportunity to put some roots down if/when I decide to.

Some on my list that I am looking into are:
Tampa
Houston
San Diego
Raleigh?
Orlando - Might be too tourist and inland for me
San Francisco/Bay Area
San Antonio
Denver
Colorado Springs

Any hints/tips/advice?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 AM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Denver is only behind DC in Federal Government employment per capital and fits your other criteria.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
If you don't consider Norfolk, VA to be too close to DC, it is worth consideration.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
San Diego could be a good place to look into since the military is such a large part of its economy. It's pricey but not quite as bad as DC I believe. Although I would see what you could make out there as wages are not as high as they probably should be give the COL. But if you could make the same as DC then you would be good and probably slightly better off.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 PM

40 posts, read 43,378 times
Thanks for the responses. I would say that Denver and Colo Springs are my top picks, but I am still trying to get past the idea of being so far from any other major city and the ocean.

I have been to the Hampton and Norfolk areas before and I do like it but I still feel it is alot of what I am used to around here, but will keep it under consideration.

I've visited San Diego for work, and really did love it. The COL and QOL are what concern me most about living there. Obviously if I could keep my salary or even get a bump I think it would be much more do-able, just not sure about long term though. It's easy when I'm young and only fending for myself but in the longer term thinking about houses, kids and schools it starts to become more difficult.

What can I say, I'm a plan and think ahead kinda guy. But maybe I need to get that out of my mind right now and just take a jump.

Anymore suggestions or insight?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:53 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Huntsville/Decatur, Alabama could be an option for you.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I'll second Denver. It's a surprisingly cosmopolitan city when comparing to the Northeast US cities you're accustomed to at a fraction of the cost and with lots more outdoor recreational opportunities. It's young, vibrant, far less congested and much more laidback. Neighboring Boulder might appeal to you as well.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Seattle may be another city/area to consider as well.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
In Georgia we have a ton of military bases, we have the sprawling Fort Benning in Columbus and Fort Gordon and the NSA in Augusta, both areas are nice and very affordable.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Charleston, SC has a defense contracting cluster, so there should be some opportunities there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.