U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 PM

81 posts, read 260,050 times
Default Best Place To Live WITHOUT Tornadoes

Ugh...every time we find a place we think we want to move to, we find out it gets a lot of tornadoes. We live in Washington state right now, where dangerous weather just doesn't happen. So, the idea of moving to a place that actually allows for a chance of a giant twister causing damage to our house or killing us is a little too much for us.

So...is there a state out there that has decent weather (sun more than rain), has an area with cheap housing and lots of office work? (housing wise we are looking 155k and under.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 01:35 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,881,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
Ugh...every time we find a place we think we want to move to, we find out it gets a lot of tornadoes. We live in Washington state right now, where dangerous weather just doesn't happen. So, the idea of moving to a place that actually allows for a chance of a giant twister causing damage to our house or killing us is a little too much for us.

So...is there a state out there that has decent weather (sun more than rain), has an area with cheap housing and lots of office work? (housing wise we are looking 155k and under.)
According to this site: WikiAnswers - Which US state has the fewest number of tornadoes, the State of Maine has the least tornadic activity. Good Luck!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:50 PM

548 posts, read 1,808,594 times
Are tornadoes the only thing you're looking to avoid? Because if it's dangerous weather you're looking at avoid, I assume you'd also want to live somewhere with major faults under the ground, without a hurricane season, etc right? I guess you could narrow it down that way, and don't get me wrong--I can see not wanting to live in Tornado alley (Kansas, OK, etc) but do eliminate anywhere where it's a possibility might be overdoing it a bit. We ahve tornadoes in NC, but the chance of dying from one is much lower than dying in a car accident.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,737,664 times
Aren't there earthquakes and volcanoes in Washington state? I've heard it's beautiful there, but the thought of that scares me!

I've lived in Florida where I saw a few small tornadoes (although other parts of the state have been devastated by them) and the mountains of NC where the last twister was in the 1970's. Now, I'm in Kentucky where I am really dreading storm season!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 3,731,419 times
Maine. Tornadoes are almost unheard of, although there has been the occasional spotting but so very, very rare.

Once you get into central or northern Maine, you can find a house within your price range. Office jobs are not hard to find, especially if you have medical or legal experience.

Maine winters are a lot less severe than most people believe, and certainly far easier than they were when I was growing up. The winter before we moved away, there was grass showing all but 2 weeks in December.

We plan to move back asap. It really is a wonderful place to live.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,339,196 times
I think it's fair to say that even those who live in the states with a lot of tornadic activity aren't at all likely to suffer some sort of devastation and damage due to these windstorms. I've lived in Texas for most of my life and I have never seen one with my bare eyes.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:59 PM

2,640 posts, read 212,447 times
I have the same want in getting away from a tornadic state. I have checked into southwest VA, loved the area, and it hardly ever gets tornadoes. If they do, they're little. Some parts in eastern TN, western NC, WV, and eastern KY have very few too. These are all mountainous areas, but the reason for lesser tornadic storms is because the humidity is low in the mountains. It takes dry air meeting moist, warm air to form the blasted severe storms that can potentially develop into a tornado.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:11 PM

5,198 posts, read 8,709,179 times
Quote:

What states have you thought you wanted to move to, until you discovered that they got "a lot of tornadoes?" I'm asking to get some idea what tornado frequency is too much for you, by looking at the frequency in states you decided to cross off your list. There's really NO state, except possibly Alaska, that never gets tornadoes at all. It's a matter of what frequency is too high for you to feel comfortable. Is a tornado watch every few years about the most you could handle? How about two or three watches (meaning only that weather conditions are favorable for their development) in a typical spring, with actual tornado touchdowns in any given locale being rare? Even in Tornado Alley, the chances that any one spot will be hit are slim, so a lot of it comes down to how frequently you can hear about tornadoes, or the possbility, without being too uncomfortable. How rare do they need to be?

Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 PM

200 posts, read 621,987 times
Quote:

Do you think you're going to die everytime you get into your car I hope so, because you have a far better chance of getting killed in a car accident than in a tornado. I've lived in "Tornado Alley" for 20 years and have never seen a tornado. I think you have a better chance of getting killed in the rebirth of Mt. St. Helens than in a tornado.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:40 PM

2,640 posts, read 212,447 times
I remember many years ago a California guy left CA after one of the eathquakes because it was so terrifying. He moved to some tornadic state and a tornado hit his home killing him less than a year after the earthquake. No matter where we are, including in a car, we never know when our time is up. A tornado doesn't have to kill me to make me hate them. Horrific thunderstorms are scary to some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.