Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:05 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Hawaii is full of ghettos.
of course, it is after all a major american city, but on azure water next to a volcano? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,431,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
prob no big town is overly friendly

but, thats were manny of us want to live...
I don't. Anybody else?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:48 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,876,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I don't. Anybody else?
There are some out there that seem to think , if its not a major city , its not relevant. Sort of like the sit-coms , and the shoot-em up detective shows on TV..... Its all happening in the big places........everything else is hick-city-ignorant,back-woods,lame , people that don't count for anything. These folks fly everywhere , if its more than 50 miles anyway. Most have never been to the heartland , or , if they have , find it boring , and , a little scary.
This stereotype is of coarse not applied to all from the big city , but , its the way the marketers make it look. Concentration of people may be good for business , and , it may be good for entertainment , but , ............ there IS a lot of land in between our shores, and , a lot of people who count , even tho it does not seem so .
I personally like a small town , or city. Why would anyone want more crime , more traffic , more bad air to breath , and higher rents, taxes, racial issues , and just general increased cost of living.......... Some of the reasons people have moved father out from the big metropolis. ( jobs are in the city )......... When the numbers are all in , it maybe that you could live in a smaller place , make a little less money , and.....still have MORE on the bottom line.
Today , with electronic communication you can live almost anywhere , and , enjoy the same services , products , and life style......... you just might have to walk a little farther to get it ,..say , your RFD mailbox......

Old 10-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Exactly. I'm not that easily bored,plus I spent most of my life in the country. Give me a house on a mountain with a good view,some TV,the internet and I'm set

Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,633,386 times
Chicago is extremely friendly, as is St. Louis. I've found that midwestern cities are friendly to a fault and not nearly as stuffy as coastal cities. St. Louis is probably the firendliest and least pretentious city I've been to and if you put yourself out there, they'll show you a great time.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM

458 posts, read 2,768,086 times
The people in the Dallas area seemed friendly when we were there.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,297,462 times
Nashville by far is the friendliest city that I've been too and, I believe, has been regarded as the friendliest city in the US.

Other cities deserving an honorable mention include:

Chicago
Milwaukee
New Orleans (the lagnappe!)
Denver (lots of sunshine will do that to you)
Columbia, SC
New York (ask for directions or go to a bar in the Village or Brooklyn and you'll see what I mean)

Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Other cities deserving an honorable mention include:
New York (ask for directions or go to a bar in the Village or Brooklyn and you'll see what I mean)
Uhh...anywhere in Brooklyn?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:16 PM

34 posts, read 130,210 times
No one has name Charleston--supposedly the most courteous city in America?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,469,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Or get a .22 to your head. Brooklyn is huge, there are many parts I’d rather not ask for directions in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.