Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 PM

5 posts, read 8,731 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are spoiled here in Colorado to have weather we really like. We also want to live in another place before we settle down. I've lived in a very humid place and hated it, and she's lived in a very snowy place and hated it. We are looking for a place that doesn't have bone chilling winters or humid summers. We are also very partial to sunny days. Colorado meets these requirements of course, but where else would you suggest? We could stand a little more humidity, just not lots of it. From what I've read, the Pacific Northwest doesn't have enough sunny days to be realistic. Pheonix is too hot. We are also partial to NOT living in California. I think San Diego might be perfect, if it were in a different state. So... Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 06:43 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,040,810 times
What's so bad about California? There's places here that would certainly fit your criteria.
I would probably suggest Northern New Mexico, but you probably want some place even more different than that.
Seriously, if humidity is a big concern, you're stuck in the western half of the US.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,965,670 times
If you want a big city with big city amenities with no to minimal humidity then you're stuck with Phx, Vegas, Albuquerque, El Paso, and CA cities. I don't get why you're so hostile against CA. San Diego really is the perfect city you're seeking. There are smaller cities in AZ in the higher elevations that aren't too hot and don't get that much snow like Prescott. Maybe you guys should just remain in Colorado....

Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 8,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
What's so bad about California? There's places here that would certainly fit your criteria.
I'm interested in hearing more about those places in California, but the state is massively in debt and the cost of living is extremely high. Part of my business is in firearms, and California is not the ideal place for that.

Quote:
I would probably suggest Northern New Mexico, but you probably want some place even more different than that.
Not necessarily. Which places? I've been through Albuquerque and Santa Fe on I-25

Quote:
Seriously, if humidity is a big concern, you're stuck in the western half of the US.
For sure? I was hoping you guys could tell me about some nice areas in the east like the Appalachian Mountains that wasn't humid or somewhere I'm not aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
If you want a big city with big city amenities with no to minimal humidity then you're stuck with Phx, Vegas, Albuquerque, El Paso, and CA cities.
I'm not necessarily wanting a big city with big city amenities. I would want a big city to be within 1-2 hours max.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 PM

776 posts, read 1,666,517 times
Another might be Raleigh,NC Sweet spot compared to points further north and the deep south.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM

26,909 posts, read 43,427,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile31 View Post
For sure? I was hoping you guys could tell me about some nice areas in the east like the Appalachian Mountains that wasn't humid or somewhere I'm not aware of.

I'm not necessarily wanting a big city with big city amenities. I would want a big city to be within 1-2 hours max.

Charlottesville, Virginia would be a good option.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 PM

776 posts, read 1,666,517 times
Another might be Raleigh,NC Little snow or very cold weather and you aren't a prisoner to the A/C as long compared to points south.. Maybe three brutal months at most compared to parts of FL where it lasts 8+ months.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,783,723 times
Doesn't Raleigh get humid though just like everywhere else on the East Coast?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,797,927 times
PNW, but EAST of the Cascades.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:36 AM

26,909 posts, read 43,427,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Doesn't Raleigh get humid though just like everywhere else on the East Coast?
Raleigh does get humid, but not like "everywhere else on the east coast". Everyone tends to forget there are areas in the east at higher elevations that aren't as humid. The Appalachian mountain range extends from Asheville, NC northward to Maine. Much of that area experiences lower summer temperatures and significantly less summer humidity than the major cities/coastal cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.