U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-08-2007, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 19,390 times
Cool Searching for most artistic AND cheapest city for young artist...

Hi there,

I'm a young painter, just graduated from college, who wants to move to a city with a vibrant art scene that is also very very very affordable to live in.

My plan is to get a part-time job of some sort--hopefully arts related-- and spend the rest of my time working on my paintings.

I've had some luck selling my artwork in the past, but I can't rely on it as a scource of income until I build up a very large portfolio. So... thus, the necessity of affordable living along with an artistic environment...

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 08:29 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,020,894 times
Artist Towns - Nationally and in your Neck of the Woods!

Film Fatale - There's a ton of info on this thread. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,726 times
Kansas City MO! there is not better place for a poor young artist: cheap living costs and extremely supportive arts community.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:39 PM

34 posts, read 31,451 times
I am looking for the same type of thing myself. There is nothing here for me where I currently live and I am looking to relocate. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Kansas City, MO is a good one, but what are the other options?

Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 PM

29,033 posts, read 32,988,763 times
This may help: Artist Towns - Nationally and in your Neck of the Woods!

You might be interested in places like this: LowerTown Arts District, Paducah, KY

Syracuse Art, Life & Tech SALT District Near Westside Initiative

Allentown Association

ARTWalk Rochester See. Feel. Hear. Art.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks! I will check these out! Not sure what happened with the OP... Hopefully she is looking into these too...

Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM

5,588 posts, read 2,946,927 times
Well, most cities & towns which are artistic destinations are also fairly expensive with rent & such, due to the fact they are more desirable places to live. This is true from Berkeley to Cambridge to Yellow Springs.
Your best bet is probably to be an "urban pioneer" in a more industrial area of a city which hasn't undergone gentrification yet (i.e. the next Williamsburg or SOMA), where you can find warehouse space for cheap.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Yeah I find it so ironic that artist live-work spaces are so expensive... Lol. I guess that's where the whole "starving artist" thing comes into play... Lol.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,149,156 times
Philadelphia. Don't bother with small town art scenes. Go where the action is. You're a stones throw from NYC and the rent is cheaper. Oh, and we just passed legislation exempting small businesses from city taxes on the first 100k in profits. A nice thing if you want to turn your artistic talent towards a small business kind of thing.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 PM

7,735 posts, read 8,794,471 times
I'd look for cities that have the right balance of educated populace and a higher % of disposable income if one is to be successful in successful in making a living in the art world.
Many cities have areas that entice artists because they are so "forgotten" that space can be had for near nothing. I hear that there is a thriving underground scene in Detroit these days but can't confirm. it.
Miami's Wynwood District started out that way several years ago. It's amazing how it's exploded since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.