Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times

Advertisements

Very few if any in NYC. Surprisingly I've never actually been yo a wal mart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Very few if any in NYC. Surprisingly I've never actually been yo a wal mart
There is one right on the Nassau/Queens border that is the only Wal Mart I know of near NYC. They have been trying to get into the NYC market for years now, they would love to take over the K-Mart in Penn Station. I doubt it though, that K-Mart does good business and its been there for 20+ years now

Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM

211 posts, read 370,307 times
In my hometown in grand rapids, mi its a couple of wak marts one supercenter but the area is dominated by meijer who Walmart got there supercenter ideas from meijer has had the supercenter since 1968. There are a few targets no supertargets though.

Now in my adopted hometown geesh there is a Walmart on every corner literally.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
It sort of surprised me to read on Wikipedia that Wal-Mart was already very successful in the 80's and the biggest store in America by 1990! As a small child in the 90's I wasn't even aware of what Wal-Mart was, though I did know about Sam's Club. My mom mostly took me and my brother and sister to Target or Kmart when she would take us along with her on errands, this was in California.

Was the west coast one of the last places Wal-mart became successful in? Was it just so huge in the South and lower Midwest that it gives an inaccurate picture of how big it is throughout America in the 80's and 90's? Kmart and Target still seem just as big in a lot of places. Even today, it doesn't seem all that dominant on the west coast, especially compared to everywhere that's further east.
In the Washington DC area, particularly the Maryland side, Walmart has never been popular nor prominent. You have a much better chance of finding Target than Walmart.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
In the Washington DC area, particularly the Maryland side, Walmart has never been popular nor prominent. You have a much better chance of finding Target than Walmart.
The first Walmart in the Baltimore area was on RT. 40 Catonsville.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
Still none in Marin County. The closest ones are 25-30 miles away from where I live. Hopefully it stays that way.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 AM

408 posts, read 997,797 times
Wal Mart is prevalent in the Chicago area, although the company has few locations within the city itself. My suburb got its first Wal Mart in 1992, and it was almost across the street. Something that was new to me was Wal Mart Express, like a Walgreens but a bit cheaper, inside the city of Chicago. Recently, the Wal Mart in my suburb converted into a supercenter, but has not put up the signage on its store yet. Originally, it did not sell food.

When I went to college, there were three Wal Mart supercenters in a metro of 100K, all 24 hours. It was very convenient, but bad for local business. They built a fourth supercenter 30 minutes north in a different, but still close, town.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 PM

375 posts, read 800,319 times
For being seen as somewhat of a Redneck state, Wal Mart isn't as huge as places like Missouri or Kansas. Most decent sized towns have one, but they also usually have one or even two grocery chains like Hy-Vee or Super Saver. Even Omaha and Lincoln still have their own local Grocery Chains going strong (No Frills, Bakers, Super Saver, Russ's Market. Anyway Wal Mart wasn't big until the 90's from what heard people tell me (i was born in 89). However, there weren't very many super centers at all in the 90's. I remember as a kid Seward NE had a tiny Wal Mart, and Columbus NE had a decent sized, one, but not a superecenter. Fremont NE had the only supercenter I really remember. It even had mickey d's inside. Even Omaha only had one Wal Mart up on Fort Street. However by the early 2000's the supercenters were going full swing. Now I think every Wal MArt in Nebraska is a Supercenter and Omaha has about 5 supercenters in the city limits, and the burbs like Papillion, Bellevue, Council Bluffs and Blair have them

Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times
Seattle has no Walmarts but has three Targets 2 are urban multi story Targets in urban shopping centers.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,890 times
Those flowing data charts are so cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.