Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,443 times

Advertisements

Some help:

One is in WA State
One is in Oregon
Five are in California
One is in Nevada
One is in Utah
One is in Michigan
One is in Illinois
Three are in Ohio
One is in Pennsylvania
One is in Indiana
Two are in Upstate New York
Four are in Florida

As a general rule, all of the major metro areas in question have close to one or more million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Some help:

One is in WA State Seattle
One is in Oregon Portland
Five are in California Bay Area, LA, San Diego, ?, ?
One is in Nevada Vegas, I guess?
One is in Utah SLC
One is in Michigan Detroit, I assume the Lakes count as coast for this
One is in Illinois Chicagoland
Three are in Ohio Cleveland, Cinci, Columbus
One is in Pennsylvania Philadelphia
One is in Indiana Chicagoland again
Two are in Upstate New York Toronto/Buffalo, ??
Four are in Florida Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, Tallahassee

As a general rule, all of the major metro areas in question have close to one or more million people.
My guesses.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
My guesses.
Yep, coasts means all forms of big water bodies, including the Great Lakes, GSL and Okeechobee. Lake Tahoe would not count since you see land in the horizon so the sun never sets in water in Tahoe.

Let's see what others have to say, but you get Philadelphia and Chicagoland (in Indiana) wrong There is a major metro area entirely located in Indiana where you can drive and approach the west coast in Michigan in a couple of hours. Also, Tallahassee is not a big metro area, the population does not even approach 400,000 people so it is mostly a medium sized metro area, which would not count in this question. Florida has four big metro areas, you got three right. Also check the other two metro areas in CA over one million.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 PM

Actually, let me make a correction- you can live in Philadelphia and approach the Erie coast in several hours, so let's count it right but there is yet another major metro area in Penn that is even closer, as close as a couple of hours.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM

With Phila, I was thinking more along the lines of 45 minutes from the city to the Jersey Shore or Delaware beaches, and the Jersey Shore being part of the Phila area. I didn't realize you were trying to stay entirely within the state mentioned.

The other would be Pittsburgh, which is a couple hours from Erie. Are you looking for Indy in Indianapolis?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Correct. Remember, the thread is about sunset in the beach, and no eastern city except for those close to the lakes or the gulf coast meet this criteria. I guess a sunrise is basically the same as a sunset except that sunsets are much more easier to see since you don't feel all that hectic or sleepy in the afternoon as in the mornings.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 PM

All of these cities (Chicago, Indy, the three major metro areas in Ohio, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Rochester are close to different spots in the Great Lakes where you can see a nice sunset in the afternoon. In the case of Philadelphia, it is a bit far from the only coastline in Pennsylvania along Lake Erie, but it can be done in one day. New York City and the New England cities, I believe are too far from the Great Lakes spots. But if anyone knows best, correct me please. I know certainly most Midwestern states except Wisconsin, Missouri and Minnesota are close to the west coast of either Michigan, Pennsylvania or New York.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
One is in WA State-Seattle
One is in Oregon-I would say portland but its not close to the coast.
Five are in California-San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Monterrey?
One is in Nevada-Reno?
One is in Utah-Salt Lake City
One is in Michigan-Detroit, Grand rapids also counts
One is in Illinois-Chicago
Three are in Ohio-Cleveland, Toledo, Akron
One is in Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Pittsburgh kind of counts (lake erie), Erie
One is in Indiana-Fort Wayne?
Two are in Upstate New York-Rochester, Buffalo
Four are in Florida-Jacksonville, Orland0, Tampa, Miami; Tallahassee, Cape Coral and Sarasota count as well

Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Correct. Remember, the thread is about sunset in the beach, and no eastern city except for those close to the lakes or the gulf coast meet this criteria.
*sigh* I'm a dumbass.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
One is in WA State-Seattle
One is in Oregon-I would say portland but its not close to the coast.
Five are in California-San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Monterrey?
One is in Nevada-Reno?
One is in Utah-Salt Lake City
One is in Michigan-Detroit, Grand rapids also counts
One is in Illinois-Chicago
Three are in Ohio-Cleveland, Toledo, Akron
One is in Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Pittsburgh kind of counts (lake erie), Erie
One is in Indiana-Fort Wayne?
Two are in Upstate New York-Rochester, Buffalo
Four are in Florida-Jacksonville, Orland0, Tampa, Miami; Tallahassee, Cape Coral and Sarasota count as well
San Jose is part of the Bay Area. I'm gonna say Fresno and Sacramento for California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.