U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,566,204 times

Advertisements

It doesn't need to be either/or. It can be both. Pennsylvania is northeast and it's also mid-Atlantic. Virginia is southern and significant parts of it are midatlantic.

I disagree with whoever said rhotic. NYC is midatlantic but its accent is non rhotic.

I think of the midatlantic region as the quintessential USA, along with the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Over the years, the definition of what makes up of the Mid-Atlantic seems to be growing larger and extending further and further southward.

From a historical perspective, we are so used to hearing about the 13 English colonies that we forget that for the first 50 years or so, the English colonies were divided in half; New England in the Northeast and the Southern colonies (Maryland, Virginia, Carolina) in the South. The middle area was occupied by the Dutch colony of New Netherland and it would take 2 Anglo-Dutch wars until New Netherland was divided into New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware aka the Middle Colonies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Colonies

By the 1800s, the Middle Colonies were now the Middle States (Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia now includes Maryland) but the term must have seen increasingly outdated in a county that now stretched from the Atlantic to the Pacific. So the term Middle Atlantic probably began to be used (http://usgwarchives.net/maps/newjers...d-atlantic.jpg now inculdes the Virgnias).

Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,440 times
Nice post. I think that's fairly accurate. I can see some logic behind not including New York (as it as part of the dominion of New England and it has a non-rhotic accent) and some logic behind including North Carolina (it's literally the mid-point on the Atlantic seaboard), I think the best definition goes from Virginia (or just northern Virginia) to New York (or at least NYC).

Old 10-21-2012, 07:06 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,197,224 times
Delmarva and the other areas in the immediate vicinity of Chesapeake Bay excluding Washington, DC which as a created city and national capital has not been culturally part of the region in a long time. As the region becomes urbanized it is going the way of DC for the same reason, the large number of transplants have proven too much for the relatively small population Mid-Atlantic cultural area to assimilate.

And the South is clearly better than the North because New Yorkers are rude.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM

3,499 posts, read 4,954,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I wasnt aware there was lots of german in the mid-atlantic states. I agree about Italian, and other southern european as well as eastern european like polish, and greek. Also there is many jews here too. The food is ethnic from southern or eastern europe. Also we have much puerto rican and dominican.
A large portion of Pennsylvania, as well as western and central Maryland, and down through the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, was settled by Germans in the 1700s and 1800s, and this is heavily evidenced by the peoples' last names you see there. Pennsylvania Dutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,440 times
There are also Germantowns in Philadelphia, Maryland, and New York.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:03 AM

3,734 posts, read 3,846,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I can see some logic behind not including New York (as it as part of the dominion of New England and it has a non-rhotic accent)

Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM

3,499 posts, read 4,954,121 times
Is that a flag of NY City? I know it's not NY state's, which the last time I checked, is all blue with a shield

Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
New York (as it as part of the dominion of New England and it has a non-rhotic accent)
It was part of the Dominion of New England for one year in the 1680s. And it wasn't governed by the same governor as Massachusetts. New York is as much New England as Pakistan is Greece.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...edonEmpire.jpg

New York was founded as a Dutch colony (New Amsterdam, New Netherland). To this day, that fact remains an important part of NYC's identity. Gantz's post with the NYC flag is meaningful. The NYC flag resembles the former Dutch flag.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,069 times
Gwilly's list was pretty good. Also the idea that the Mid-Atlantic is the region without qualities (I grew up in New Jersey so don't throw any bricks at me!). It's hard to define because in "national" American culture, the mid-Atlantic is often treated as the "norm" that everything else is different from. And yes mid-Atlantic was never a term we used locally, it was always a list applied from the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or