U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If 3 digit interstates count, I-710 in the LA Area has horrible pavement quality, due to all the truck traffic, and I say that as a truck driver who has to use it regularly
About 10 years ago, I took a trip to California with several friends of mine. I arrived at LAX about two hours before they did so I could rent the minivan and be ready for them when they arrived, but that process only took an hour, so in the hour I had left to kill before my friends arrived, I drove south on I-405, then north on I-710, and then west on I-105 back to LAX to pick up my friends, but as I was driving north on I-710, I hit an expansion joint where the highway passed over a major arterial road, and there was a loud bang that startled me and redirected the minivan for a split second. I was able to get back to LAX with no problem, but after everybody packed their stuff in and we began to make our way to I-405, the suspension started making a loud, rhythmic noise, and I could feel the thumping from the suspension through the steering column, so we had to go back to the rental agency and trade for another minivan. That's literally the only time in my life that I've ever experienced poor road conditions damaging an automobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:12 PM

18,907 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
About 10 years ago, I took a trip to California with several friends of mine. I arrived at LAX about two hours before they did so I could rent the minivan and be ready for them when they arrived, but that process only took an hour, so in the hour I had left to kill before my friends arrived, I drove south on I-405, then north on I-710, and then west on I-105 back to LAX to pick up my friends, but as I was driving north on I-710, I hit an expansion joint where the highway passed over a major arterial road, and there was a loud bang that startled me and redirected the minivan for a split second. I was able to get back to LAX with no problem, but after everybody packed their stuff in and we began to make our way to I-405, the suspension started making a loud, rhythmic noise, and I could feel the thumping from the suspension through the steering column, so we had to go back to the rental agency and trade for another minivan. That's literally the only time in my life that I've ever experienced poor road conditions damaging an automobile.
Another bad road, though not an Interstate, is CA 60 from Pomona to Moreno Valley

Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 PM

706 posts, read 512,838 times
Oh, man! Interstate 40 in Albuquerque west of the Big I has some of the worst pavement I've seen on an Interstate Highway. If you value your tires and suspension, "maintain your lane" is just words. For some reason the vast majority of the potholes are perfect squares of uniform size, but random placement. If you focus too hard on dodging potholes, you will eventually run over big chunks of tire.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM

156 posts, read 115,310 times
All of them. Neighborhoods next to highways are usually bad.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:34 PM

58 posts, read 37,554 times
I-30 and I-40 across Arkansas, driven in late 2015, were appalling to me. In a small rented car, we felt every jolt.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:19 PM

53 posts, read 62,859 times
I-90 at the aforementioned Illinois/Indiana state line....a true nightmare with ten million semis and usually atrocious weather. Good luck!!

I-95 in South Florida....the actual condition of the road isn't that bad but it's just a cluster of the worst drivers in the world: retirees, tourists, crackheads, spring breakers/party animals, newly-arrived immigrants, etc.

All the interstates converging in St. Louis....too small, too narrow, bad signage, etc.

I-76 through Philadelphia.....pure torture! It's like it was literally built in 1776....

I-17 going south as you get into Phoenix....too narrow, constant accidents, exceptionally hotheaded and aggressive drivers, and generally worse road conditions than the rest of the metro. Plus, if (or rather, WHEN) you get into the inevitable wreck, waiting for help in 110-degree heat. Yay!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:11 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,020,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I-84 between Danbury and Hartford, Connecticut. Lots of bottlenecks, narrow two lane (each direction) sections, and lots of left exit interchanges. Very poorly designed.
I agree with this and it doesn't help that construction there goes on for years and years to widen and improve.
Also I think roads in Pennsylvania are pretty bad.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:28 PM

4,987 posts, read 7,303,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine62819 View Post
I-90 at the aforementioned Illinois/Indiana state line....a true nightmare with ten million semis and usually atrocious weather. Good luck!!

I-95 in South Florida....the actual condition of the road isn't that bad but it's just a cluster of the worst drivers in the world: retirees, tourists, crackheads, spring breakers/party animals, newly-arrived immigrants, etc.

All the interstates converging in St. Louis....too small, too narrow, bad signage, etc.

I-76 through Philadelphia.....pure torture! It's like it was literally built in 1776....

I-17 going south as you get into Phoenix....too narrow, constant accidents, exceptionally hotheaded and aggressive drivers, and generally worse road conditions than the rest of the metro. Plus, if (or rather, WHEN) you get into the inevitable wreck, waiting for help in 110-degree heat. Yay!
LOL, true about 95 in Miami
and true about i-76 in Philly.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:52 PM

10,775 posts, read 9,406,760 times
I-10 from Lake Charles to Baton Rouge. Also the elevated portions from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. Fortunately from TX state line to Sulphur most of the interstate has been repaved, it's been repaved in the suburbs south of Baton Rouge, and in Metairie they just went through a major reconstruction that has been finished. But there are still portions with no shoulder, especially on the bridges.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,414,706 times
I agree that parts of I-95 in SC are pretty bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or