U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:01 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I agree that parts of I-95 in SC are pretty bad.
South Carolina and Louisiana have the worst highways in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:26 PM

5,535 posts, read 3,686,922 times
I-10 in Southern California for most of its route, but especially between Indio and Palm Springs where the trucks seem to all congregate as they try to get into Riverside and LA counties. Awful!

Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,554,968 times
I love I-270 in St. Louis, and I think the interstate system there is pretty good. As far as L.A. the 405,110,10,5,605, and 710 are all terrible when it comes to traffic. It's crazy when you look at socal there are so many highways that I really couldn't see them having space for another. The problem is everyone, and their mothers drive in L.A. so there really isn't much to be done, except better public transportation.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 PM

1,188 posts, read 874,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I-5 through Los Angeles is pretty bad
Meh, the 5 pavement is mostly ok now. It has been rebuilt from the 101 to the 605, and still under construction from the 605 to the OC line. They weren't able to widen it much since there are buildings right up to it on most of its course through LA.

When I was young, Louisiana had terrible roads. Hopefully they've repaved most of them by now.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
I-16 in Georgia has got to be one of the worst if talking pavement condition.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 AM

4,392 posts, read 3,557,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Meh, the 5 pavement is mostly ok now. It has been rebuilt from the 101 to the 605, and still under construction from the 605 to the OC line. They weren't able to widen it much since there are buildings right up to it on most of its course through LA.

When I was young, Louisiana had terrible roads. Hopefully they've repaved most of them by now.
Louisiana is still bad. I saw a lot of repaving done from 2010 to now but often they just repaved over bad sections and never rebuilt them (something I saw Mississippi do on I 20). The result is you still have a lot of the thuds and bumps, just with smooth pavement between. Bossier City's section of I 20 is atrocious (at least it was back in June). On my return leg I took 220 around.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM

66 posts, read 69,462 times
Hands down I-85 in southern Virginia.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:13 PM

66 posts, read 24,286 times
I-4 in Orlando. When I went on vacation there last week, I saw a crash every single day/night there from Tuesday to Sunday.

I-80/I-94/I-294 especially near the Eden expressway. It is just an absolute nightmare once it gets even mildly congested. Not even the middle lane are safe from those zig-zaggers who go on the right lane to pass cars on the far left...Illinoisans are notorious for tailgating up on you even as you try to pass a car that's in the middle lane 10-12 mph over on the left and they just zig-zag their way to the right lane to pass both of you at what feels like 90+. And on top of that, they zig-zag back to the left lane only to be slowed down by traffic ahead even on the left lane...

I-85 northbound around Atlanta. It was probably due to people coming back from 4th of July weekend (July 3rd) but I was stuck about 40 miles outside Atlanta in a jam where we literally moved at best 1/2 a mile in two hours. Had to wait at the very least two minutes just to move what felt like half a semi-truck's length in that traffic.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
In what states where have you found the worst areas for interstate highways as far as quality of pavement and general road conditions to include useful information signs etc.?
California. I drove in Southern California and one big issue was that they don't tell you in advance about upcoming interchanges and which lanes will be going in which direction or if the exit is on the left or right and I find myself changing many lines at once.

Also, and this is unique to California, whenever you have the signs saying there is food, gas, hotels, etc at the next exit it NEVER tells you WHICH restaurant, gas station or hotel is there. THis is very annoying because I want to know what kind of food is available before I exit! My friend who lives in California tells me its because the state charges high fees for let's say a Denny's to have its logo on the food sign. Also I hate how hybrids occupied by one person can drive on HOV lanes in LA County.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:19 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Interstate 68 through Cumberland, Maryland is also very bad. And Interstate 895 in Baltimore just north of the Harbor Tunnel. Despite the ridiculous tolls that Maryland charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or