U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 AM

656 posts, read 1,792,289 times

Advertisements

I'd go w/ Houston. Second I would go w/ Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston no contest.
I agree.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,103,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
All six of those cities have a low cost of living, and they've all weathered the poor U.S. economy relatively well. In terms of extreme weather, you'd find the least in Pittsburgh and Raleigh. The worst you'll get in Pittsburgh is persistent cloudiness during the winter months, and the occasional flash flood in low-lying areas. The worst you'll get in Raleigh is a heat wave during the summer, and the occasional tornado. Nashville, Austin and Houston are all prone to persistent extreme heat during the summer. Nashville, Omaha and Austin are all prone to tornadoes. In terms of religion, You'll likely find the most Muslims in Houston and Austin. Nashville, Pittsburgh and Raleigh have fewer, but they're still there. Omaha probably has the fewest Muslims.
You rarely, if ever hear of tornadoes in the Austin area or points south & west. They are mainly in North Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth) & Eastern Texas.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:54 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,731,544 times
Overall, I would go to Pittsburgh because weather sucks in most of the other cities. Either massive super storms, tornadoes, 110 degree summers, or a combination. I feel like Pittsburgh would be more moderate.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,414,132 times
If you're from Northern Africa, you might not mind the extreme heat of Texas. If you're sick of the heat, you might try the more northern or midwestern cities. As the others said, Houston & Austin would have the highest Muslim populations.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:27 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
First it was Dallas, then Omaha and Nashville, and now this thread.

Have you considered looking for work first and going based on where you get a job? The truth is you will be fine in any mid sized metro area or better regardless of your ethnicity or religion.

The only difference is that you might meet more like you in one of the Texas cities. However if you desire a place like Omaha, I would not hesitate. You would be just fine there.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM

56,584 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Columbus Ohio may also work: http://isgc.org/

Noor Islamic Cultural Center

The Council on American-Islamic Relations-Ohio (CAIR)

Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,783,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Overall, I would go to Pittsburgh because weather sucks in most of the other cities. Either massive super storms, tornadoes, 110 degree summers, or a combination. I feel like Pittsburgh would be more moderate.
Everyones been saying about the heat, humidity in the selected cities further south, and that Pittsburgh has the least amount of extreme weather.

Now granted I'm used to snow and cold, having grown up outside Chicago, and I'm not a fan of humid heat, but I'm suprised no one has mentioned that Pittsburgh can have some real cold and snow. I mean come on, I know its not on the lake like Cleveland or Buffalo, but its not superfar from these cities. If one isn't used to cold and snow, Pittsburgh may take some getting used to.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:59 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Everyones been saying about the heat, humidity in the selected cities further south, and that Pittsburgh has the least amount of extreme weather.

Now granted I'm used to snow and cold, having grown up outside Chicago, and I'm not a fan of humid heat, but I'm suprised no one has mentioned that Pittsburgh can have some real cold and snow. I mean come on, I know its not on the lake like Cleveland or Buffalo, but its not superfar from these cities. If one isn't used to cold and snow, Pittsburgh may take some getting used to.
Compared to cities in the Midwest, even the cold in Pittsburgh isn't as extreme. That's actually one of the benefits of the persistent cloud cover in the winter: it moderates the cold somewhat. The average high and low temperatures in Pittsburgh in January are 35 and 20, respectively. In Omaha, it's 33 and 13, respectively. Even in Nashville, it's 47 and 29, respectively, which means that the average night in Nashville in January is still below freezing.

As for snow, Pittsburgh averages about 38" per winter. It's far enough east that it can get clobbered by nor'easters, but that happens about once every 10 years on average, and those storms skew the average snowfall total higher. In most winters, you can expect anywhere from two to three feet for the entire season. It's too far away from Lake Erie to get any significant lake-effect snow. The absolute most you could expect from a lake-effect snow band would be an inch or two. Most of the time it just leaves a coating that doesn't even cover the grass. North of I-80 is where the heaviest lake-effect snow is.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,731,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

I know that, but I've experienced both extremes plus the bombs from above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or