U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM

113 posts, read 252,573 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

if you were me what city would you choose from the below cities

if the criteria were : low cost , plenty of jobs , tolerence for Middle eastern muslims

and last factor is having shorter periods of extreme weather year around

1- Nashville , TN
2- Omaha , NE
3- Pittsburgh , PA
4- Austin , TX
5- Houston , TX
6- Raleigh , NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times
Houston no contest.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:54 PM

13,222 posts, read 17,963,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hi ,

if the criteria were : low cost , plenty of jobs , tolerence for Middle eastern muslims

1- Nashville , TN
2- Omaha , NE
3- Pittsburgh , PA
4- Austin , TX
5- Houston , TX
6- Raleigh , NC
All six of those cities have a low cost of living, and they've all weathered the poor U.S. economy relatively well. In terms of extreme weather, you'd find the least in Pittsburgh and Raleigh. The worst you'll get in Pittsburgh is persistent cloudiness during the winter months, and the occasional flash flood in low-lying areas. The worst you'll get in Raleigh is a heat wave during the summer, and the occasional tornado. Nashville, Austin and Houston are all prone to persistent extreme heat during the summer. Nashville, Omaha and Austin are all prone to tornadoes. In terms of religion, You'll likely find the most Muslims in Houston and Austin. Nashville, Pittsburgh and Raleigh have fewer, but they're still there. Omaha probably has the fewest Muslims.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:02 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,509,268 times
Pittsburgh has ice, and jobs are not so plenty as one might want ( but better than in most places.) Other than that its a great place. Austin is probably the most progressive of the choices.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,673,911 times
No clue man but I love the ghetto poll you created.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,217,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hi ,

1- Nashville , TN
2- Omaha , NE
3- Pittsburgh , PA
4- Austin , TX
5- Houston , TX
6- Raleigh , NC
Well, whites are the minorities in Houston so wonder how it is for them in terms of tolerance.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,810,116 times
Nashville accepts all cultures, i found that surprising when i first went there because i thought it would be segregated like the rust belt or Memphis.

I would say portland and seattle have good economies and are tolerant. Minneapolis would be another contender. Omaha maybe, but i haven't been there so i wouldnt know.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,732,352 times
Having been to all these cities, I think Austin edges out the rest, followed by Raleigh, Nashville, Houston, and the other two tie.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Having been to all these cities, I think Austin edges out the rest, followed by Raleigh, Nashville, Houston, and the other two tie.
No way would Austin, Raleigh or Nashville beat out Houston in this. Not trying to say the others are bad or have nothing to offer. But Houston COL and plenty of jobs is above the other cities. Not to mention it is heavily more diverse than the others by a mile. I would think all cities are pretty accepting. Don't know Omaha though. I think Pittsburgh has the shortest period of extreme weather.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
All six of those cities have a low cost of living, and they've all weathered the poor U.S. economy relatively well. In terms of extreme weather, you'd find the least in Pittsburgh and Raleigh. The worst you'll get in Pittsburgh is persistent cloudiness during the winter months, and the occasional flash flood in low-lying areas. The worst you'll get in Raleigh is a heat wave during the summer, and the occasional tornado. Nashville, Austin and Houston are all prone to persistent extreme heat during the summer. Nashville, Omaha and Austin are all prone to tornadoes. In terms of religion, You'll likely find the most Muslims in Houston and Austin. Nashville, Pittsburgh and Raleigh have fewer, but they're still there. Omaha probably has the fewest Muslims.
I think this post was pretty much on point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or