Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't Denver be like the perfect balance weather-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 04:28 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
Here's something out of the blue that actually may be practical - what about areas in far west mountain Texas and New Mexico that don't get the extreme heat in the summers and only a little snow/cold in the winters? Alpine/Marfa Texas comes to mind. Cost of living is much higher than when I lived there but you still can get something small in your price range. I LOVED living there. Or in CO, the Pueblo area is much cheaper than Denver but similar weather.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,222,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it were me, and I have 75,000 and no debt, I would go to these places:

Seattle
Vancouver
San Diego
You would need the $75,000 for just a deposit in any of these places, and even then it probably wouldn't be enough ...Vancouver has some of the most expensive real estate in North America!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 PM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio come to mind. That 75k will go a long way in the midwest, but the weather in these places can be extreme. Of the four Indiana and Ohio weather would be alot easier on you.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,420,995 times
I found a decent place in OH. Close to the WV border so it's still sitting in mountains which hubby loves. Cute place. Nice land. Small cabin. *sigh* Just don't know what will work for us. Half tempted to pay off the house here, do the upgrades and tie him to a chair all summer long so he doesn't go outdoors!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,003 times
People with MS move to the pacific northwest because of the cooler climate. Finding a place for 50-75k could be tough though. You might find a few places with a manufactured or mobile home like that. Since he has some problems because of his neck and back troubles a nice in-between place might be southern Oregon around Medford and Grants Pass. The climate is mild, the summers can have some brief spurts of pretty hot , but low humidity weather and the winters are pretty nice and I think the politics of the area are fairly middle of the road or maybe a little more conservative leaning since it is somewhat rural. You might check that area out.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Since he has some problems because of his neck and back troubles a nice in-between place might be southern Oregon around Medford and Grants Pass. The climate is mild, the summers can have some brief spurts of pretty hot , but low humidity weather and the winters are pretty nice and I think the politics of the area are fairly middle of the road or maybe a little more conservative leaning since it is somewhat rural. You might check that area out.
I tried that suggestion earlier in the thread. The OP doesn't appear interested in a place that fulfills her difficult criteria.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I tried that suggestion earlier in the thread. The OP doesn't appear interested in a place that fulfills her difficult criteria.
I actually was interested. I think the area looks wonderful. Hubby however doesn't like the west coast. Sorry.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Looks like we'll be staying in this area. We have a daughter with .................. issues, and grandkids that we're worried about. So moving far away would leave us terrified for them. Thinking we'll just move up to the plateau perhaps. Stays a bit cooler. Not much. But it's something I guess. *sigh*

Thanks everyone for the info BTW. I did read through and look at the suggested areas. Just didn't find anything we both really liked.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We keep kicking around moving. My husband has MS so he has NO heat tolerance AT ALL. However, he has a very old neck and back injury (was broken over 20 years ago) and has had three surgeries. It's left him with horrible pain that really kicks in when the barometric pressure changes from storms coming in. So it's like there's no place for him that would ease his pain level. We have been dying to move to Eastport, Maine for years but the winter storms would leave him in agony half the year. We're in middle TN now and we like it a lot but at the same time the summers here can kill him, literally. He can't work in the yard for about eight months of the year here and can't be outside unless he has his oxygen on (he has COPD too) and is traveling to and from where he's going in a vehicle with heat and air to control his body temp. Seems that California would be a good option for him as from what I hear the temps are pretty mild year round. BUT he lived there when he got hurt years ago and he hates it with a purple passion. We're not hard core conservatives, but the ultra liberal lifestyle that was out there made him nuts. He was raised in a very hard core Irish Catholic family.

So, I'm trying to figure out if there's an area we'd be better off. Maybe just a bit further north? He has a LOT of medical problems so we'd need an area with good doctors and hospitals. We do fall a bit more middle of the road on politics - and he's VERY politically active - but only on the social issues. So any place that's very liberal won't work. We love our privacy but because he has the medical problems we need to live in a town some place so an area with bigger lots and not so nosey people? We're also very devoted to our pets and have a house FULL of dogs and always will, including our beloved pitties, so no BSL.

We're looking for homes in the 50k - 75k range and will be debt free, paying cash for the house. He has a monthly check of just under $2000 so we'd have to be able to pay for food, utilities, dog food, fuel, etc on that. We don't mind doing cosmetic repairs to a house, even as much as putting in new kitchen cabinets, new flooring, etc. We just can't do roofs, electric, plumbing, foundations.

We're both retired, all of our kids are grown, so jobs and schools aren't an issue. I'm not too concerned about crime stats unless you start talking Detroit or Camden! LOL So, any ideas? Is there a place for us out there or do we just pay off the house here and do the repairs we have wanted and tough it out during the summer and hope for the best?
Consider Flagstaff, Arizona. From what I read on the internet, it appears to have a good medical facility, remains cool in the summer and is dry humidity-wise year round. As for the cost of housing, it might be a stickler, but you can find a mobile home on a lot for $60,000 according to realtor.com http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M16852-27967 so if your needs are not too high-flalutin' that might work for you.

If you simply MUST have a huge metropolis, you might consider Denver or the outskirts which has the same benefits of dry weather and mild summers. If the altitude doesn't bother you.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.