Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

We keep kicking around moving. My husband has MS so he has NO heat tolerance AT ALL. However, he has a very old neck and back injury (was broken over 20 years ago) and has had three surgeries. It's left him with horrible pain that really kicks in when the barometric pressure changes from storms coming in. So it's like there's no place for him that would ease his pain level. We have been dying to move to Eastport, Maine for years but the winter storms would leave him in agony half the year. We're in middle TN now and we like it a lot but at the same time the summers here can kill him, literally. He can't work in the yard for about eight months of the year here and can't be outside unless he has his oxygen on (he has COPD too) and is traveling to and from where he's going in a vehicle with heat and air to control his body temp. Seems that California would be a good option for him as from what I hear the temps are pretty mild year round. BUT he lived there when he got hurt years ago and he hates it with a purple passion. We're not hard core conservatives, but the ultra liberal lifestyle that was out there made him nuts. He was raised in a very hard core Irish Catholic family.

So, I'm trying to figure out if there's an area we'd be better off. Maybe just a bit further north? He has a LOT of medical problems so we'd need an area with good doctors and hospitals. We do fall a bit more middle of the road on politics - and he's VERY politically active - but only on the social issues. So any place that's very liberal won't work. We love our privacy but because he has the medical problems we need to live in a town some place so an area with bigger lots and not so nosey people? We're also very devoted to our pets and have a house FULL of dogs and always will, including our beloved pitties, so no BSL.

We're looking for homes in the 50k - 75k range and will be debt free, paying cash for the house. He has a monthly check of just under $2000 so we'd have to be able to pay for food, utilities, dog food, fuel, etc on that. We don't mind doing cosmetic repairs to a house, even as much as putting in new kitchen cabinets, new flooring, etc. We just can't do roofs, electric, plumbing, foundations.

We're both retired, all of our kids are grown, so jobs and schools aren't an issue. I'm not too concerned about crime stats unless you start talking Detroit or Camden! LOL So, any ideas? Is there a place for us out there or do we just pay off the house here and do the repairs we have wanted and tough it out during the summer and hope for the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:01 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Denver!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
The only place I could think of with that weather criteria and in that price range is Oregon, along the I-5 corridor south of Portland and west of the Cascade Mountains. In that price range Foreclosures and Short Sales are the only way to go and would focus around the cities of Roseburg or Salem.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
I would go 2 either Atlanta or Dallas.....you could live pretty good in those cities on that income with no debt.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:11 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
If it were me, and I have 75,000 and no debt, I would go to these places:

Seattle
Vancouver
San Diego
Montreal
Minneapolis

Old 10-18-2012, 01:35 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I would go 2 either Atlanta or Dallas.....you could live pretty good in those cities on that income with no debt.
But not if you can't tolerate heat.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,681 times
A few places I'd like to visit or perhaps move to:
Oregon
The Dakotas
Minnesota but that's cause I have family out there
Alaska
Vermont
Virginia
and I'd like to checkout more of the midwest to see how I may like it.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
Honestly, I would just stay in the same highrise, but I would just move up a 10 or so stories for a better view. Yupp

Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,718 times
Montana or Wyoming.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:51 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
Montana or Wyoming.
Funny you mention that. Hubby loves Montana and has always wanted to go there. He moved to south Florida from Wyoming and loved it there too. But I think if he can't handle a Maine winter he certainly can't handle Montana or Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.