U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 15,893 times

Advertisements

I am a student at Colorado State University and am trying to decide whether or not to transfer to Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. Where would you rather live? If I move to NC I am most likely to stay there for my career, and if I stay in Colorado, I am more likely to stay here. I don't know what to do! I have been to Boone, and I like it there, but I have lived in CO my whole life. Things that I don't want to leave in CO are skiing, climbing REAL mountains, REAL big snowstorms, and STORM CHASING. I love storm chasing and it is far better here in CO than in NC. If I transfer to NC, I will save money in tuition, and I will be close to my entire close and extended family, who are all moving there. I am a music education major, and will be a high school band director at some point. My hobbies include music (obviously), nature photography, skiing, hiking, off roading, and storm chasing. It is hard to decide because Boone, NC is beautiful, and I love all the trees, and I am excited at the prospect of living somewhere that gets a lot more rain, and just living somewhere different in general. But sometimes I feel like the excitement of going somewhere different wears off and you wish you were back. Like my friends that went to school out of state. They were so excited at first, but they all miss CO. But I don't want to be across the country from my entire family, but I don't want to leave this state, although Boone, NC is a wonderful place to live as well, and saving some money is also enticing. PLEASE! Help. What should I do?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkinsadam1 View Post
I am a student at Colorado State University and am trying to decide whether or not to transfer to Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. Where would you rather live? If I move to NC I am most likely to stay there for my career, and if I stay in Colorado, I am more likely to stay here. I don't know what to do! I have been to Boone, and I like it there, but I have lived in CO my whole life. Things that I don't want to leave in CO are skiing, climbing REAL mountains, REAL big snowstorms, and STORM CHASING. I love storm chasing and it is far better here in CO than in NC. If I transfer to NC, I will save money in tuition, and I will be close to my entire close and extended family, who are all moving there. I am a music education major, and will be a high school band director at some point. My hobbies include music (obviously), nature photography, skiing, hiking, off roading, and storm chasing. It is hard to decide because Boone, NC is beautiful, and I love all the trees, and I am excited at the prospect of living somewhere that gets a lot more rain, and just living somewhere different in general. But sometimes I feel like the excitement of going somewhere different wears off and you wish you were back. Like my friends that went to school out of state. They were so excited at first, but they all miss CO. But I don't want to be across the country from my entire family, but I don't want to leave this state, although Boone, NC is a wonderful place to live as well, and saving some money is also enticing. PLEASE! Help. What should I do?
Thanks.
You're right, NC doesn't have any "real mountains" with the Top 50 mountains in the state all over 6,000 feet in elevation.

Highest Mountain Peaks in North Carolina

Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,457 posts, read 14,307,686 times
You won't be very welcomed to any area if you go there insulting the area. Maybe best to stick with CO.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 AM

568 posts, read 849,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You won't be very welcomed to any area if you go there insulting the area. Maybe best to stick with CO.
I agree. Everything you stated that you do in CO you can do here in NC. We have beaches too. Although, I'm not sure if they are "real" or not.

Storm chasing? We have tornadoes and hurricanes.

Musician? Asheville has a nice music scene.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,320,894 times
This should be an easy one.
Fort Collins has a much larger population and is on the outskirts of a major metropolitan area.

Boone is a small town in the middle of pretty much nowhere and if you travel the same distance away from Boone that Ft Collins is from Denver, you're still in the middle of nowhere. The main industry there is tourism. If you loose your job, you may find it hard to get another one and even then it probably won't pay much. That is the complaint that most people have with WNC... jobs. It's a beautiful place but beauty ain't gonna pay the bills. If most people could make a living in paradise, Boone would have a population in the tens of millions instead of 17,000. (Ft Collins ~300,000)

The poster just above said "Asheville has a nice music scene". I just want to make it clear that Asheville is HOURS away from Boone. The beaches are an all day drive from there. You'd get to the beaches faster if you lived in Ft. Collins because in an hour you could drive down to DEN and hop on a plane to the nearest beach town and be there in a couple of hours.
They also said "We have tornadoes and hurricanes". Um. No. The coast gets hurricanes maybe but you don't want to go driving around in one of those and as for tornadoes, WNC is not a real active area for those and even if it was it would be far more dangerous to chase them because of the trees and not being able to see them.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM

568 posts, read 849,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
This should be an easy one.
Fort Collins has a much larger population and is on the outskirts of a major metropolitan area.

Boone is a small town in the middle of pretty much nowhere and if you travel the same distance away from Boone that Ft Collins is from Denver, you're still in the middle of nowhere. The main industry there is tourism. If you loose your job, you may find it hard to get another one and even then it probably won't pay much. That is the complaint that most people have with WNC... jobs. It's a beautiful place but beauty ain't gonna pay the bills. If most people could make a living in paradise, Boone would have a population in the tens of millions instead of 17,000. (Ft Collins ~300,000)

The poster just above said "Asheville has a nice music scene". I just want to make it clear that Asheville is HOURS away from Boone. The beaches are an all day drive from there. You'd get to the beaches faster if you lived in Ft. Collins because in an hour you could drive down to DEN and hop on a plane to the nearest beach town and be there in a couple of hours.
They also said "We have tornadoes and hurricanes". Um. No. The coast gets hurricanes maybe but you don't want to go driving around in one of those and as for tornadoes, WNC is not a real active area for those and even if it was it would be far more dangerous to chase them because of the trees and not being able to see them.
Asheville is "hours" away? I don't consider an hour and half drive "hours" away.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM

3,883 posts, read 4,046,220 times
If you transfer and don't love it, come back to Colorado with that experience. Or take a summer job in NC next summer then decide.

Boone is also 1.5 hours from the activities in Winston-Salem (and the Tri-Cities in northeast TN).

Old 10-25-2012, 09:41 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,018,762 times
Boone is a lovely area. My parents live just outside of there on Beech Mountain. My sister works at Lees McRae college and adores it. My nephew just graduated high school and is looking at colleges there. A bit more populated and 'touristy' for my taste, but it is pretty. Don't know a thing about CO though.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,320,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Asheville is "hours" away? I don't consider an hour and half drive "hours" away.
I wouldn't either. It's 2-3 hrs. More if you take BRP.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:25 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Boone is too small, I'd stay in Ft. Collins if I were you. Boone will be a downgrade for everything you enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or