U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM

5,460 posts, read 13,874,110 times
Denver, naturally, would have almost no mosquitos, but there are so many man made reservoirs in the area and irrigated lawns that bugs have been attracted to, so while it's probably better than the eastern, humid half of the US, it's not exactly bug free either. Same thing with Phoenix-- a place much drier and extreme than Denver. People here use flood irrigation to water their lawns (which look like crap anyway), as well as golf courses and city parks, so there is in fact a lot of standing water around. There's actually a West Nile Virus problem in both CO and AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM

845 posts, read 1,784,901 times
I dont understand the Alaska thing either since it is so cold there for so long. When I went last June it was cool, around 50, and could not believe the amount of mosquitoes I found. They even have postcards about their mosquito problem.

But why Portland doesnt have a mosquito problem even with nearly year round wetness, I have no idea.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 20,202 times
Default mosquito info

Here is a helpful site with a little info on which states have the most or least mosquitoes and why.

Frequently Asked Questions - AMCA (http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-information/faq.aspx#12 - broken link)

Old 10-18-2007, 07:58 PM

688 posts, read 1,730,775 times
Avoid Wisconsin it's actually the state bird.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,400,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Avoid Wisconsin it's actually the state bird.
Hey, hey, hey. . . now wait a minute. I have a t-shirt that says the mosquito is the state bird of Minnesota. Unless you have a t-shirt like that for Wisconsin, I've 'gotta go with Minneosota. You do know that t-shirts are always right, right?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,730,775 times
Quote:
Hey, hey, hey. . . now wait a minute. I have a t-shirt that says the mosquito is the state bird of Minnesota. Unless you have a t-shirt like that for Wisconsin, I've 'gotta go with Minnesota. You do know that t-shirts are always right, right?
Especially when our wives are in them.
All those lakes in Minneosota... you have to be right.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 PM

432 posts, read 1,272,319 times
I think the super-sized mosquitos cross state lines because they seem equally big in Wisconsin and MN. There are a lot of ticks, too. Last time I was in MN, the first thing I noticed, after the beautiful greenery, was a tick on my sock.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:10 AM

62 posts, read 153,472 times
It's true. I have never, ever seen a mosquito in San Francisco. You're safe here.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:57 AM

2,815 posts, read 4,385,391 times
Seattle doesn't have any

Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 AM

16,587 posts, read 19,316,649 times
I'm 50 miles East of L.A. I actually kept count of the amount of mosquito bites I've received this year so far. Be advised, I'm always wearing shorts and a T-shirt when outside working and grilling: 5 bites.

There are no Argentine Ants here, a pest that used to plague the hell out of me when I lived closer to the coast.

Additionally, my dog has no flea problem whatsoever. She doesn't wear a flea collar, and I don't put any flea stuff on her. There flat just aren't any fleas. No ticks, either.

Also, no gnats and "no-seeums". Very few flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.