U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 551 times

Advertisements

I'm a pretty recent college grad with a few years of experience in my field (human services). As of right now, I am pretty well locked into a job that I hate (and I do mean *hate*), and I am feeling unfufilled and hopeless that something else will come along. I'm starting to feel the need to establish myself somewhere new, somewhere where there are a wide variety of jobs and the cost of living is relatively low. Living in a place with a low crime rate, and lots to do in the surrounding areas is very important to me. Right now I am looking into Oklahoma City, but I feel like I may be overlooking a lot of good places outside of the Midwest region. Where, in your opinion, are the best places to start a new life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,721,490 times
Go to indeed.com

Type in your job description and leave the city field blank.

Choose one that looks epic and is in a big city.

Apply.

Wait.

Pray.

Don't move without a job.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM

983 posts, read 1,436,821 times
Check out Sioux Falls and Omaha. They have a very low unemployment rate and cost of living. Minneapolis also has a lot of jobs, but the cost of living is higher. But don't move w/o a job.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,101,625 times
Check out the Texas cities Dallas,Fort Worth,Houston,San Antonio and Austin

Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM

21,281 posts, read 30,567,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesel8383 View Post
I'm a pretty recent college grad with a few years of experience in my field (human services). As of right now, I am pretty well locked into a job that I hate (and I do mean *hate*), and I am feeling unfufilled and hopeless that something else will come along. I'm starting to feel the need to establish myself somewhere new, somewhere where there are a wide variety of jobs and the cost of living is relatively low. Living in a place with a low crime rate, and lots to do in the surrounding areas is very important to me. Right now I am looking into Oklahoma City, but I feel like I may be overlooking a lot of good places outside of the Midwest region. Where, in your opinion, are the best places to start a new life?
I know Human Services jobs typically aren't of the highest salaries so would consider places with a relatively low cost of living that are still relatively large cities with a varied job market (and different from where you are now).....especially since you're young and unencumbered. I'd recommend Denver or Atlanta which are two completely different cities with a sizable young professional population, lots to do and a low cost of living.....particularly for housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or