Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most reserved/unfriendly part of the US?
The Northeast 81 50.00%
The South 30 18.52%
The Midwest 12 7.41%
The Northwest 33 20.37%
The Southwest 6 3.70%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times

Advertisements

What part of the US has the 'coldest', most reserved people? Keep in mind I'm not trying to start a bashing thread, how reserved or slow to trust strangers a society is doesn't reflect on the actual morality of that society. For example, Scandinavians are well known for being standoffish to people they don't know, but at the same time they are possibly the most humanitarian and ethical society on the face of the Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 PM

275 posts, read 419,505 times
ieir think that southern New England, central Connecticut has to be the most coldest, reserved., i.e. not friendly part of the country.

It is kind of like all these people in that area do the "keeping up with the Jones" type of mentality.

In other words they do all they can to make their properties looking as perfect as possible, are all driving late model expensive cars,
yet will hardly <b>ever</b> talk to you in your own neighborhood, even if you have lived there for years!

It seems to be a very callous and insensitive area from what I see. If you are a newcomer to Connecticut, and ask a simple question on the CT forum it's quite possible you may be insulted & deemed a "troll".

Do not know why that area is like that. Do not know much about western CT.....only been to New Haven and Waterbury area & those folks seem ok. Down at the shore, like New London area, people seem rather laid back & sweet down that way.
Maybe the reason Hartford County is not too friendly is because of the companies that exist there...it is known to be the Insurance Capitol of the world.

Ever see the movie by Michael Moore- Sicko?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
The Pacific NW. Not really unfriendly just keep to themselves more

Last edited by mas23; 07-21-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 PM

275 posts, read 419,505 times
what area are you referring to mas23, Washington? think oregon ppl are friendly.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
what area are you referring to mas23, Washington? think oregon ppl are friendly.
yes.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,508 times
The northeast.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
The Pacific NW. Not really unfriendly just keep to themselves more
Im surprised over how many times Ive read about the 'Seattle Freeze' on C-D. Even my DH, a Seattle native, has never heard of this. BTW, I find him, his family and friends there to be anything but stand-offish.

Last edited by Iconographer; 07-22-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 07:56 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Im surprised over how many times Ive read about the 'Seattle Freeze' on C-D. Even my DH, a Seattle native, has never bestseller of this. BTW, I find him, his family and friends there to be anything but stand-offish.
There are indeed many friendly folks in Seattle and I made some life long friends while living there for 5 years. Though the Seattle freeze does exist as its easy terminology to characterize the ones that are standoffish and reserved. I guess it all depends on one's approch, attitude, and how thick their skin is. People in the Northeast can also be either rude or as sweet as a peach, it's hit or miss. I guess that's anywhere though. I find New Mexico to be a friendlier state than WA or Mass, of course there are many exceptions as well.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:12 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There are indeed many friendly folks in Seattle and I made some life long friends while living there for 5 years. Though the Seattle freeze does exist as its easy terminology to characterize the ones that are standoffish and reserved. I guess it all depends on one's approch, attitude, and how thick their skin is. People in the Northeast can also be either rude or as sweet as a peach, it's hit or miss. I guess that's anywhere though. I find New Mexico to be a friendlier state than WA or Mass, of course there are many exceptions as well.
BTW, excuse the nonsensical bestseller comment. I corrected it. Stupid spellcheck.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Two answers because of the two part question.

I found New Englanders to be 'not friendly', but not as in 'mean', just as in stoic--not really caring where you came from or volunteer petty conversation. They were not 'mean', but they weren't going to drop a cake off at your house when you move in.

I would say after my stay in South Florida, the SE, would be certifiably "mean". Other people were just something that got in your way on the way, and you let them know utilizing any number of tactics-- A sneer, negative comment, horn or speed up when they are trying to cross the street.
A Bad, bad place

So, NE for reserved,
SE for mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.