U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,245 posts, read 5,986,557 times
Reputation: 2967

Advertisements

The Germans call them seas.

Lake Superior is Oberer See (the upper sea), Lake Michigan is Michigansee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM
 
Location: "Daytonnati"
4,245 posts, read 5,986,557 times
Reputation: 2967
Quote:
People think the great lakes are as big as some scenic mountain lake in Colorado.
Seriously...Ive seen this online, particularly from Europeans, who dont grasp how "ocean-like" the Great Lakes are, in terms of vastness and how how high the waves can get in storms....and the size of shipping.

I was posting with an English guy from Sunderland (which was a shipbuilding place and he also worked aboard ship) and linked him to some stats & pix of Great Lakes ore boats & also pix of high seas on the lakes and it was "woah!" from him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM
 
2,426 posts, read 3,622,086 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The Germans call them seas.

Lake Superior is Oberer See (the upper sea), Lake Michigan is Michigansee.
Interesting! Never knew that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM
 
2,426 posts, read 3,622,086 times
Reputation: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Seriously...Ive seen this online, particularly from Europeans, who dont grasp how "ocean-like" the Great Lakes are, in terms of vastness and how how high the waves can get in storms....and the size of shipping.

I was posting with an English guy from Sunderland (which was a shipbuilding place and he also worked aboard ship) and linked him to some stats & pix of Great Lakes ore boats & also pix of high seas on the lakes and it was "woah!" from him...
Exactly. This was just my whole point. The Great Lakes really don't fall under the image of what most lakes are usually though, small bodies of water. The Great Lakes fall more under the definition of Seas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Exactly. This was just my whole point. The Great Lakes really don't fall under the image of what most lakes are usually though, small bodies of water. The Great Lakes fall more under the definition of Seas.

They are very large and pretty cool. But I guess is the question more along do people view them the same way as oceans/shores etc.

IMHO they still feel different than the salt bays/oceans.

Chicago is very cool with its lake frontage but personally it never gave me the same feel as being on an ocean. Maybe it is the smell and waves (I know the lakes have waves too) but to me there is a distinct smell and feel in the air (salty humidity) that feel different. That said the lakes are a tremedous asset to the region and places but I am not sure if the name change changes anything either in a good or bad way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,173,802 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
My whole point is that the word Sea and the world Lake bring two very different images to people's heads.

It's kind of like the word hill and mountain.
People back east call hills 'mountains' and Europeans call puny lakes 'seas'. It doesn't change the reality of the situation at all.


Do you want to be next to a puny sea or a GREAT lake. The Great Lakes are an amazing, unique geographically phenomenon. They should never be cheapened by labeling them as seas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,618,894 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The Germans call them seas.

Lake Superior is Oberer See (the upper sea), Lake Michigan is Michigansee.
"See" just means lake in German. "Meer" is the word Germans use for sea.

This a See in Germany:

Großer Alpsee

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Fer_Alpsee.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,570,477 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
They are very large and pretty cool. But I guess is the question more along do people view them the same way as oceans/shores etc.

IMHO they still feel different than the salt bays/oceans.

Chicago is very cool with its lake frontage but personally it never gave me the same feel as being on an ocean. Maybe it is the smell and waves (I know the lakes have waves too) but to me there is a distinct smell and feel in the air (salty humidity) that feel different. That said the lakes are a tremedous asset to the region and places but I am not sure if the name change changes anything either in a good or bad way
It's definitely not the same, I grew up on the beach in Florida and lived by the coast in California, Lake Michigan while nice is really nothing like it, different experience altogether. FAR different experience than the magestic pacific ocean.

Chicago also doesn't have the "beach town" vibes ... there are no coastal feeling towns that you will find in Florida, California, Oregon or even New Jersey or Massachussetts. Nowhere in Chicago has that kind of coastal town vibe either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Reputation: 36087
If you're going to rename the Great Lakes "seas", you would also have to persuade Canada to change three lakes to Great Slave Sea, Great Bear Sea, and Winnipeg Sea. All of those are larger than Ontario Sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2012, 02:13 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,851,561 times
Reputation: 1214
I witnessed 4 of the 5 Great Lakes with my own eyes for the first time earlier this year and they were much more 'lake-like' than I expected. Despite the fact you can't see across them, they still feel and look more like the large lakes I'm familiar with, such as Bear Lake or Klamath Lake than they look like the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top