U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Actually I was talking about the one on the Idaho/Utah border.
Another beautiful, beautiful lake. But, still hundreds of times smaller than most of the great Lakes and looks nothing like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 06:50 AM

As for the original question. While I live very close one of the Great Lakes and do see the flippant attitude some take toward them because they "are just lakes", I don't think a name change would do a darn thing about it. Until a person sees one in full storm, or even mildly agitated they don't take into consideration how powerful and dangerous they can be. Living in a tourist area I have the misfortune to every year see lives lost to Lake Michigan. Most are not from the area and here on vacation. Sometimes from far away, sometimes from the middle of our own State, yet most lost their lives because they took an unnecessary risk with "just a lake" and that decision came back to bite them and their remaining families.

While they really are inland seas, I think a name change to reflect that would actually diminish them further in peoples minds. After all, they would be TINY compared to most bodies of water that are named as seas. No matter what they are called, there needs to be more education on the dangers of taking them for granted and falling into a false sense of security with them. I would love to go one summer without having to see in the paper a story of how a family lost one or more members to the Lake because "it looked safe to go in."

Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,594,763 times
Seas are supposed to have salt water correct? Wouldn't that make the great lakes ineligible to be considered seas by default?

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,569,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I did not know the design difference included differences in buoyancy. I thought it was strictly due to the size of the locks used in the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence.
Yes, Ocean going vessels that sail through the St. Lawrence into the lakes and back out can't carry as much tonnage while on the lakes. They will sit too low in the water. Also, lake freighters are usually slender and flat bottomed to accomadate the St. Lawrence seaway if they are required to traverse it. Others, like the 1,000 footers are obviously too long to fit in the locks but must still comply with other size requirements of say: the Soo Locks for example.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Seas are supposed to have salt water correct? Wouldn't that make the great lakes ineligible to be considered seas by default?
No, a Sea can contain fresh water.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago also doesn't have the "beach town" vibes ... there are no coastal feeling towns that you will find in Florida, California, Oregon or even New Jersey or Massachussetts. Nowhere in Chicago has that kind of coastal town vibe either.
Chicago is hardly definitive of most cities and towns on the Great Lakes. If that is your only experience of the Great Lakes I can understand why you don't see any similarities.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,619,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Chicago is hardly definitive of most cities and towns on the Great Lakes. If that is your only experience of the Great Lakes I can understand why you don't see any similarities.
Yeah, if one goes to MIchigan especially the West Coast of it, most towns along the town feel very coastal and beachy.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My main great lakes experiences are Chicago and Cleveland (b/c one of my exes used to live there), neither of them had a beachy vibe.

I know there are towns on the great lakes like that, up around Traverse City for instance or in Door County, but what I was saying is, they aren't around Chicago. Go up in the burbs down the lake all the way to Milwaukee and they still don't have that vibe.

If you are in LA or SF for instance, there are several beachy vibe areas obviously... Same thing around the East Coast, same around Florida, same around Houston in Galveston. Where is that around Chicago or in the Chicago metro?

Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
I have a problem changing the name from Lakes to Seas because not only would I have to buy a new road atlas, but I'm pretty sure that the new names would be too difficult to remember for the women freighter captains and they would get lost.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,619,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
My main great lakes experiences are Chicago and Cleveland (b/c one of my exes used to live there), neither of them had a beachy vibe.

I know there are towns on the great lakes like that, up around Traverse City for instance or in Door County, but what I was saying is, they aren't around Chicago. Go up in the burbs down the lake all the way to Milwaukee and they still don't have that vibe.

If you are in LA or SF for instance, there are several beachy vibe areas obviously... Same thing around the East Coast, same around Florida, same around Houston in Galveston. Where is that around Chicago or in the Chicago metro?
So that's only one portion that doesn't have that beachy feel. A big chunk of the Gulf Coast doesn't feel beachy, but that doesn't mean other parts don't have that feel. The NYC Metro and Boston proper doesn't have a beachy feel. Just because Chicago and Milwaukee areas don't feel beachy doesn't mean that other if not most other parts of Lake Michigan do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or