U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 AM

10 posts, read 13,418 times

Advertisements

I live in seattle wa but the rain is too much for me, I'm thinking about moving to Nor cal since nor cal has more trees, better weather than sol cal. I'm trying to move to a place where I can start a family. How different is seattle wa to nor cal? Is it true about the crime rates and that cali is the new mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
You'd probably enjoy the "true" Northern California, i.e. north of the Bay Area. What do you mean by "better weather"? If you don't like the heat, you might like the North Bay on up to Humboldt County. But the further north you go, while cheaper, also has less employment opportunities.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You'd probably enjoy the "true" Northern California, i.e. north of the Bay Area. What do you mean by "better weather"? If you don't like the heat, you might like the North Bay on up to Humboldt County. But the further north you go, while cheaper, also has less employment opportunities.
better weather as in, 80s-90s throughout the year. That's my understanding of norcal that they have great weather throughout the whole year.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM

2,165 posts, read 4,737,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canwe3 View Post
better weather as in, 80s-90s throughout the year. That's my understanding of norcal that they have great weather throughout the whole year.

Uh, not quite. Even the desert areas of CA don't have temps in the 80s-90s throughout the year. Northern CA is typically cooler overall than Southern CA and is definitely not in the 80s-90s most of the year. I'm not sure where you got that info, but it's way off. Although, the last few winters have been somewhat dry, most of Northern CA can get quite a bit of rain in the winter and can be very cool, like daytime temps in the low-mid 50's. There are also tons of micro-climates where temps and sun/cloud-cover can vary greatly even within a short distance.

As far as CA being the new Mexico...that's debatable. It WAS Mexico at one point. If you mean that CA currently looks the way many run-down parts of Mexico does, then you're way off on that too. There are good parts of CA and bad parts and parts in-between just like any other state in this country.

Honestly, you need to visit this state, because you really seem to have a skewed view about what it's actually like here. You need to define exactly what it is you're looking for. Northern CA can mean anything from the Bay Area, to the Sacramento Valley and anywhere north of these areas up to the Oregon border.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Since when does Northern California have good weather?

Are you meaning Norco, California?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Uh, not quite. Even the desert areas of CA don't have temps in the 80s-90s throughout the year. Northern CA is typically cooler overall than Southern CA and is definitely not in the 80s-90s most of the year. I'm not sure where you got that info, but it's way off. Although, the last few winters have been somewhat dry, most of Northern CA can get quite a bit of rain in the winter and can be very cool, like daytime temps in the low-mid 50's. There are also tons of micro-climates where temps and sun/cloud-cover can vary greatly even within a short distance.

As far as CA being the new Mexico...that's debatable. It WAS Mexico at one point. If you mean that CA currently looks the way many run-down parts of Mexico does, then you're way off on that too. There are good parts of CA and bad parts and parts in-between just like any other state in this country.

Honestly, you need to visit this state, because you really seem to have a skewed view about what it's actually like here. You need to define exactly what it is you're looking for. Northern CA can mean anything from the Bay Area, to the Sacramento Valley and anywhere north of these areas up to the Oregon border.
I just checked the weather.com and it was around 80-90 for 9months and 60s for 3months. I never been to CA so I have no idea what the weather is like over there. I'm looking for warm weather, not hot like Texas.

I meant that there's a lot of Mexicans in norcal, I heard it's over 50% and most ppl speak Spanish.

Only thing I'm looking for is WARM weather, I know CA and FL is the only states that have great weather but FL has too much humid.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,743 posts, read 54,373,866 times
I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, in the eastern part for 40 years before moving here. I didn't like the dry, brown hills for 10 months of the year and the 100-105 degree summers in Contra Costa County, but where we moved in Castro Valley was much milder and greener, though still not like WA and 90-100 in summer, still too hot for my taste. For lower summer temperatures but less rain, you are limited to the coastal areas north of about Santa Rosa, like Eureka, Ukiah, Fort Bragg, Mendocino. Unfortunately not many jobs there and prices still higher than much of WA. While many CA cities have areas with a large hispanic population,
most are in the southern part and the agricultural central valley. Overall in CA nearly half the population speaks another language at home, with 38% of all residents hispanic.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,197,230 times
Quote:
I live in seattle wa but the rain is too much for me, I'm thinking about moving to Nor cal since nor cal has more trees, better weather than sol cal. I'm trying to move to a place where I can start a family. How different is seattle wa to nor cal? Is it true about the crime rates and that cali is the new mexico?

Northern California weather is nothing like Seattle. Well, except for maybe along the coast, especially Humboldt and Del Norte Counties. When I think of Northern California, I'm talking about the middle of the state, not the coast. All coastal weather in California is cooler and wetter. Inland is where the fluctuations occur. Trying to describe California weather is difficult because there is so much variance, depending on where you live.

Maps of Temperature and Related Factors in California

Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,741,446 times
Quote:
I meant that there's a lot of Mexicans in norcal, I heard it's over 50% and most ppl speak Spanish.
Then you've heard incorrectly. In the Bay Area, there are actually more Asians than Hispanics.

Weather-wise, it varies a lot. Even within a tiny city like San Francisco, it can be 55F in one area and 75F in another, just a few miles away. We do get a lot of gloomy weather, but mostly that's just fog (a thick marine layer) that often persists all day long from April through about August. Late summer and autumn are spectacular; in the winter it rains about 1 day out of every 3, so about half as often as in Seattle.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 22,686 times
Well, California is the best place to live in the states @canwe3. The weather is fine and the place is well developed. Good decision in choosing Cali as your permanent place to live in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.