U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,624,615 times

Advertisements

It's a tossup...they're both nice places and beat the heck out of the Midwest and West. I really liked New Hampshire and Western Mass. I think the wealthier I was the more inclined I would be to stay in FL though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM

12 posts, read 20,775 times
Florida wins hands down. The main thing is employment. If you are retired on pension or find a good job you will live like a king in Florida. Make sure that you can find good job before moving then rent for a while in the area that you are interested in. You can then do your hands on search of best place to buy a home.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
It's a tossup...they're both nice places and beat the heck out of the Midwest and West. I really liked New Hampshire and Western Mass. I think the wealthier I was the more inclined I would be to stay in FL though.
I don't know about this... New England is tough to beat, but Florida? I would take most places in the Midwest (especially the Upper Midwest) over Florida any day.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:07 AM

146 posts, read 159,236 times
[quote=polo89;26722303]Much more crime and violence in Florida than in NE.[/True THAT

Old 11-30-2012, 06:47 AM

862 posts, read 1,215,482 times
I would never want to live in New England. Largely nothing but a bunch of stuck up rich people with high taxes and a high cost of living.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,539,930 times
I moved from Vermont to South Florida due to a family emergency. Absolutely the most traumatic and horrific event of my life. A culture(?, or lack of) that scares me, still. Not to belabor the negativity--New England, no question about it.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
[quote=nycrn87;27147967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Much more crime and violence in Florida than in NE.[/True THAT
Yeah, you know. You know.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM

457 posts, read 437,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
I would never want to live in New England. Largely nothing but a bunch of stuck up rich people with high taxes and a high cost of living.
Most of the people who live in New England are not rich. Ever heard of Lowell, Worcester, Providence, Hartford, etc. all those cities are pretty rough and are known for being poorer. Don't assume everyone is rich just because you only here about wealthy people or because things are more expensive. Also the higher average wage only makes it possible to live in the area it does not mean that people have more money left over to spend.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM

490 posts, read 897,527 times
Overall, Florida has a lower cost of living; more efficient, better maintained infrastructure; far fewer taxes and regulations; a very large state university system; very affordable in-state tuition rates; much, much warmer weather; a much more diverse population; larger, newer, less expensive housing; less expensive utilities; and far more water-related recreational opportunities than any state in New England.

On the other hand, Florida cities and their suburbs have more crime, more traffic, very transient populations, and generally worse K-12 public schools than New England cities and suburbs. Also, Florida is susceptible to more volatile hurricanes, thunderstorms, and tornadoes than the New England states.

There are no blizzards, ice storms, or earthquakes in Florida. Nearly every single structure (homes, office buildings, restaurants, etc.) are air-conditioned. As an aside, it costs less to cool your home for 10-12 months per year than cool your home for 2-3 months and then heat it for 6-8 months per year.

Auto insurance rates, the cost of groceries and other sundries, and gasoline prices are about the same. Property taxes will probably be less in FL than in CT, NH, and RI; I don't know if property taxes in FL are less than those in MA, ME, and VT. Homeowners' insurance will most likely be much more expensive, but we have no state income tax and our counties have very reasonable sales tax rates. Neither the State of FL nor any of its counties tax food for home consumption.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
a
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Overall, Florida has a lower cost of living; more efficient, better maintained infrastructure; far fewer taxes and regulations; a very large state university system; very affordable in-state tuition rates; much, much warmer weather; a much more diverse population; larger, newer, less expensive housing; less expensive utilities; and far more water-related recreational opportunities than any state in New England.
A few things on this...much of New England cities are more expensive (though Miami is very expensive too), but there are plenty of cheap properties in upper New England, Western Mass, RI, and Northern CT.

I think New England is probably slightly more diverse than Florida...or at least about equal. While Florida as a whole is more black and latin, New England has a very significant Latin population, has a larger Asian population, and has a very diverse European population--especially with Portuguese speaking countries.

Water-related recreational opportunities are more available year-round, but during the summer it doesn't necessarily offer more water activities. You could potentially argue that New England's coastline is prettier than Florida's too.

Overall, New England mops the floor with Florida educationally in every facet. Quality of K-12 schools, quality of higher education, and population level educational attainment. It's not even close in any category.

Economically New England is considerably more significant than Florida too. Despite having a significantly smaller population (14.4 million vs 18.8 million), NE has a larger GDP ($801.8 billion vs $754.2 billion). The per capita GDP is $40,117 for Florida and $55,507 for NE. NE is a world leader in high-skill industries such as financial services, medical research, biotechnology, high technology, nanotechnology, and management consulting. Overall I can't think of a high skill industry where Florida is even close to NE. I would imagine given the much higher level of startup companies and venture capital, NE has much greater opportunities...however as with anywhere else, it depends on your industry.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-10-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.