U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,536,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Overall, Florida has a lower cost of living; more efficient, better maintained infrastructure; far fewer taxes and regulations; a very large state university system; very affordable in-state tuition rates; much, much warmer weather; a much more diverse population; larger, newer, less expensive housing; less expensive utilities; and far more water-related recreational opportunities than any state in New England.

On the other hand, Florida cities and their suburbs have more crime, more traffic, very transient populations, and generally worse K-12 public schools than New England cities and suburbs. Also, Florida is susceptible to more volatile hurricanes, thunderstorms, and tornadoes than the New England states.

There are no blizzards, ice storms, or earthquakes in Florida. Nearly every single structure (homes, office buildings, restaurants, etc.) are air-conditioned. As an aside, it costs less to cool your home for 10-12 months per year than cool your home for 2-3 months and then heat it for 6-8 months per year.

Auto insurance rates, the cost of groceries and other sundries, and gasoline prices are about the same. Property taxes will probably be less in FL than in CT, NH, and RI; I don't know if property taxes in FL are less than those in MA, ME, and VT. Homeowners' insurance will most likely be much more expensive, but we have no state income tax and our counties have very reasonable sales tax rates. Neither the State of FL nor any of its counties tax food for home consumption.
People only use AC for like a month. and heat for maybe about 4 months. October-Early December is fine if you have a sweatshirt, Ditto with Late Feb-early April.
Also New England has far better outdoor recreation, with anything from Para sailing to Skiing, to Hiking to sailing. Florida's Gulf coast is pathetic by the way, other than that they only have some good beaches but that's it. No inland recreation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,093,728 times
I'd rather live in Florida. Better weather, nicer beaches, just a better lifestyle IMO.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:20 PM

639 posts, read 939,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People only use AC for like a month. and heat for maybe about 4 months. October-Early December is fine if you have a sweatshirt, Ditto with Late Feb-early April.
Also New England has far better outdoor recreation, with anything from Para sailing to Skiing, to Hiking to sailing. Florida's Gulf coast is pathetic by the way, other than that they only have some good beaches but that's it. No inland recreation.
Florida has a lot of in-land lakes that are used for different outdoor recreation as well. Overall I'd say it's a toss-up for outdoor activities. New England is good for skiing, hiking, camping and mountain-type activities, but Florida hands down is better for water activities. New England beaches are scenic, but very rocky and the is water often too cold, even during the summer months.

I would think you also use the AC more than 1 month. I've lived in Upstate NY for the past year, which has a similar climate to most of New England, and we ended up using the AC June-September.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:20 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,753,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Florida has hills inland, especially in central Florida and the panhandle. Also Florida provides more water options than just jetskiing. Florida contains some of the best snorkeling in the us.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 PM

Florida also has nearby islands like the bahamas in which folks routinely boat and jetski to for daytrips.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,878,758 times
In this fight I would go with New England.

If we're talking about outdoor recreation, I'd go with New England. You have mountains, true mountains, which Florida lacks. Yes Florida is better for water activities purely because it's a lot warmer down there, but in New England you can really enjoy all 4 seasons outdoors.

Also New England has better National Parks. Nothing in Florida can match Acadia National Park, imo.

I do love the Everglades but fear that if they can't get the snake situation under control, it will be ruined.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
a

A few things on this...much of New England cities are more expensive (though Miami is very expensive too), but there are plenty of cheap properties in upper New England, Western Mass, RI, and Northern CT.

I think New England is probably slightly more diverse than Florida...or at least about equal. While Florida as a whole is more black and latin, New England has a very significant Latin population, has a larger Asian population, and has a very diverse European population--especially with Portuguese speaking countries.

Water-related recreational opportunities are more available year-round, but during the summer it doesn't necessarily offer more water activities. You could potentially argue that New England's coastline is prettier than Florida's too.

Overall, New England mops the floor with Florida educationally in every facet. Quality of K-12 schools, quality of higher education, and population level educational attainment. It's not even close in any category.

Economically New England is considerably more significant than Florida too. Despite having a significantly smaller population (14.4 million vs 18.8 million), NE has a larger GDP ($801.8 billion vs $754.2 billion). The per capita GDP is $40,117 for Florida and $55,507 for NE. NE is a world leader in high-skill industries such as financial services, medical research, biotechnology, high technology, nanotechnology, and management consulting. Overall I can't think of a high skill industry where Florida is even close to NE. I would imagine given the much higher level of startup companies and venture capital, NE has much greater opportunities...however as with anywhere else, it depends on your industry.

Florida has one of the larger euro immigration and vacation patterns in the us.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,539,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
In this fight I would go with New England.

If we're talking about outdoor recreation, I'd go with New England. You have mountains, true mountains, which Florida lacks. Yes Florida is better for water activities purely because it's a lot warmer down there, but in New England you can really enjoy all 4 seasons outdoors.

Also New England has better National Parks. Nothing in Florida can match Acadia National Park, imo.

I do love the Everglades but fear that if they can't get the snake situation under control, it will be ruined.

This.

Also, day to day life, New England too. Visiting and living in an area are two entirely different issues.
IVe lived in both places. Florida is a transient, service based economy. Low-Pay, RTW state, very little chance of landing a 'real' job moving there cold. If you move to South Florida or a few other of the metro areas, you will be spending a large part of your day in crazy traffic, pill mill and pawn shop scenery. Very different from the pretty ocean stuff, it wears on you quickly. Since New England isnt quite the destination location Florida is, there is more diverse economy with opportunities for tech and jobs people might stay for.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Florida has one of the larger euro immigration and vacation patterns in the us.
Overall Florida is going to trounce New England in every territory when it comes to vacation/tourism...but New England has a far larger, and far more diverse European population. The only significant (state population >1%) European ethnicities which have a larger presence in Florida are:

German:
Florida: 2,030,813 10.7%
New England: 1,122,796 7.75%

Dutch:
Florida: 192,840 1%
NE: 105,939 0.73%

New England has a far larger population of Irish, Italian, French/French Canadian, English, Portuguese, Scottish, Swedish, and Greeks. This area is overwhelmingly in favor of New England.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-13-2013 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 06:09 PM

3,406 posts, read 7,558,388 times
I'm from Boston & lived in Miami for 5 years. I prefer Florida hands down. The only hurdle is securing a decent job. Boston has Florida beat in that department but everything else is Florida hands down. If you consider yourself a solid New Englander or a Yankee, you won't like it in Florida. Only the true free spirits of New England thrive in Florida, the rest are bitter and start all of their sentences with "In Boston......".

In Boston you can find a great job at a great company easily. In Florida you have to search through a lot of companies that are unknown and there may be a few stand outs but its not like Boston. If you're fluent in Spanish, thats a huge plus because businesses in South Florida do a lot of business with Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.