U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:11 PM

3,406 posts, read 7,558,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Overall Florida is going to trounce New England in every territory when it comes to vacation/tourism...but New England has a far larger, and far more diverse European population. The only significant (state population >1%) European ethnicities which have a larger presence in Florida are:

German:
Florida: 2,030,813 10.7%
New England: 1,122,796 7.75%

Dutch:
Florida: 192,840 1%
NE: 105,939 0.73%

New England has a far larger population of Irish, Italian, French/French Canadian, English, Portuguese, Scottish, Swedish, and Greeks. This area is overwhelmingly in favor of New England.

I just can't take this story seriously without Russians being mentioned. Seriously? Russians are probably one of the largest non-Latin groups in South Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I just can't take this story seriously without Russians being mentioned. Seriously? Russians are probably one of the largest non-Latin groups in South Florida
There are more Russians in New England. Using info from the Census, the figures look like:

Florida: 224,364 1.2% of population
New England: 239,526 1.7% of population

Quote:
I'm from Boston & lived in Miami for 5 years. I prefer Florida hands down. The only hurdle is securing a decent job. Boston has Florida beat in that department but everything else is Florida hands down. If you consider yourself a solid New Englander or a Yankee, you won't like it in Florida. Only the true free spirits of New England thrive in Florida, the rest are bitter and start all of their sentences with "In Boston......".

In Boston you can find a great job at a great company easily. In Florida you have to search through a lot of companies that are unknown and there may be a few stand outs but its not like Boston. If you're fluent in Spanish, thats a huge plus because businesses in South Florida do a lot of business with Latin America.
I whole heartedly disagree. From a different perspective you could say the only advantage Florida has over New England is warmer weather...everything else is New England hands-down. Economically, culturally, educationally, geographically, etc.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM

22,136 posts, read 23,648,900 times
Florida for me, I think. Seems like it'd be more fun.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,070 times
Florida is no where near as nice as New England. Period. It rains a lot in Florida. Jobs are absolutely pathetic as well as the pay. Florida for the most part isn't attractive. It really isn't. Yes there are exceptions if you're very well off or wealthy. For the most part, Florida looks run downed. Everybody stays in doors. In New England, for all the complaints about the snow and cold weather, you see a lot more people doing outdoor activities. In Florida everybody is running from one place to another in search for AC relief from the extreme heat and humidity.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:47 PM

1,750 posts, read 1,631,192 times
It rains a lot in FL? New England is notorious for blizzards, ice storms, nor'easters, persisting low temps and cloudy skies. For the most part NE looks stagnant to me. If FL is rundown, what exactly do you call countless neighborhoods in NE with houses from the early 1900's or even before that? For the most part, FL's coastline is one continuous upscale area(FL has the longest coastline in the continental US, do the math).

Sure making a living can be challenging in FL, if you have little or no skills, but so is everywhere else. People move here unprepared, only to be crushed by reality. FL is a good choice for outdoorsy persons, nature buffs and people who are not afraid to sweat or make a big deal about the humidity, bugs, gators, snakes and all the media mambo jumbo that get a lot of mileage online. Some people appreciate biodiversity, some (mainly couch potatoes and other nerds) are intimidated by it. The stuff people write on CD... Someone wrote you can't swim in FL past 20 feet because of sharks and stingrays. Heck, "Jaws" was filmed in NE/MA, most great whites frequent North Atlantic waters and people are talking about sharks in FL!!! Nice. Stingrays only appear close to the beach in early summer. In most cases they pose no real danger.

In FL everyone is running from one place to another for A/C!! Yes, in your dreams (most people don't run A/C from Oct to April, even in May heat/humidity is tolerable. Advantage, FL.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:57 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
It rains a lot in FL? New England is notorious for blizzards, ice storms, nor'easters, persisting low temps and cloudy skies. For the most part NE looks stagnant to me. If FL is rundown, what exactly do you call countless neighborhoods in NE with houses from the early 1900's or even before that? For the most part, FL's coastline is one continuous upscale area(FL has the longest coastline in the continental US, do the math).

Sure making a living can be challenging in FL, if you have little or no skills, but so is everywhere else. People move here unprepared, only to be crushed by reality. FL is a good choice for outdoorsy persons, nature buffs and people who are not afraid to sweat or make a big deal about the humidity, bugs, gators, snakes and all the media mambo jumbo that get a lot of mileage online. Some people appreciate biodiversity, some (mainly couch potatoes and other nerds) are intimidated by it. The stuff people write on CD... Someone wrote you can't swim in FL past 20 feet because of sharks and stingrays. Heck, "Jaws" was filmed in NE/MA, most great whites frequent North Atlantic waters and people are talking about sharks in FL!!! Nice. Stingrays only appear close to the beach in early summer. In most cases they pose no real danger.

In FL everyone is running from one place to another for A/C!! Yes, in your dreams (most people don't run A/C from Oct to April, even in May heat/humidity is tolerable. Advantage, FL.
New England is not stagnant in the Boston metro area, which is experiencing a boom right now. Also, Stamford, CT is going through a boom right now, too. Other than that, yes, New England is fairly stagnant, but that's because it lags behind national upswings and downswings in the economy. Give it a few more years and it will pick up.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM

56,034 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
That is interesting. I had no idea.

I think of Russian enclaves such as Brighton Beach in NYC and Fair Lawn, NJ.

Even though I love the warm water and weather on the Gulf Coast of Florida in the non-summer months, I think I'd be happier in New England. It just has history and a certain way of life that wouldn't be available in Florida.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
I moved 4 years ago from CT to FL and I'm currently looking for a job back in CT. I liked Florida for about the first couple of years... but as you said, I missed a lot of things about living in New England including the seasons. If you're just looking to get away for a bit you certainly could enjoy Florida for a bit. I personally would rather have stayed in CT.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:50 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
It rains a lot in FL? New England is notorious for blizzards, ice storms, nor'easters, persisting low temps and cloudy skies. For the most part NE looks stagnant to me. If FL is rundown, what exactly do you call countless neighborhoods in NE with houses from the early 1900's or even before that?
Older does not equal run-down. A lot of the older homes in the Northeast are beautiful and well-kept. In Florida, it seems like everything is either brand new (hasn't had time to deteriorate at all), or you have the other extreme of extremely dumpy looking shacks. I do not recall seeing many quaint, historical, well-kept older homes in Florida.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Older does not equal run-down. A lot of the older homes in the Northeast are beautiful and well-kept. In Florida, it seems like everything is either brand new (hasn't had time to deteriorate at all), or you have the other extreme of extremely dumpy looking shacks. I do not recall seeing many quaint, historical, well-kept older homes in Florida.
St Augustine will give ya that! That's a tourist's attraction though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.