U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:28 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I know this is a NE/FL thread, but that damage still haunts me. CT had some similar damage right on homes right along the ocean, and so did MA (Scituate comes to mind - bad storms always pound Scituate), but to my knowledge they did not see the scale of damage as evidenced in the above pictures. Not in this storm at least. It would truly take a monster hurricane to hit NE that badly, it is so far north. Sandy hit NJ at the right time in the right conditions, and that type of storm is very rare this far north. NE may not get hurricanes like FL does but they do get nor'easters and blizzards. Nor'easters can be nasty, especially because they can hit any time of year. Summer/Spring ones bring flooding rains and winter ones bring lots of snow.
That's my home town! And yea, it always seems to get hit pretty good by the storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM

30,677 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You talk about how fragile these old houses are...these old houses which are over 100 years old...these old houses which deal with blizzards every winter...they don't seem fragile.
When I lived in Scotland, I owned a large stone house built in the 1860s. At that time it was the newest house in that village. Often the older methods of home building are time-tested and proven.

Modern tacky-tack construction is much less substantial, less weather-proof, as compared to homes built in the 1800s or 1700s.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,067 times
New England run down? Are you kidding? It's one of the most beautiful places in the USA. Historical well kept homes is different from the run down old looking shacks you find in Florida. The only advantage Florida has is the warm weather. Period! In every other category, New England wins hands down. Better suburbs, education, all four seasons, way more scenic, more history, real communities, better jobs, more employment, way more opportunities, safer, cleaner, etc. the list goes on and on. People leave Florida and never establish roots there. In New England that isn't the case.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:04 PM

6,433 posts, read 9,950,274 times
I'm for Florida and there is nothing like New England. That's where I will live one day. In beautiful Greenwich. Now if you're poor, just stay in Florida.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:54 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,046,833 times
I found living in New England to be physically exhausting and living in Florida, psychologically exhausting. At this point in my life (i.e., late 30's), I've learned how to compartmentalize the psychologically exhausting aspects of Florida. However, after nearly 20 years of living away from New England, mostly in regions with much warmer weather, I know, for sure, that I would never again be able to handle the cold climate of New England.

Overall, New England is a better place for families who want their children to have at least a shot at a decent education and professional career, those that crave intellectual stimulation, and those who have career goals and aspirations that supplant those of working in a call center for $10-$12/hour with no health insurance or working at a theme park, again for $10-$12/hour except with benefits. Florida, OTOH, is better for blue-haired retirees, certain ethnic/racial minority groups, conservative right-wing nut-jobs, and the rich and famous. Florida may not be better for single people, especially if those single people are career and goal-oriented, but at the very least, it's a lot more fun than New England in that respect, and I'm speaking from personal experience, too.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:38 PM

565 posts, read 821,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Which area do you think is a better place to live overall? New England or Florida? I'm currently living in CT and contemplating a move to FL very soon. My only real concern is that I will get bored of having 1 season all year round. Not that I love the cold, but I think FL is more affordable and better for young single people. And I'm concerned that I might miss the quaintness and coziness of NE. So any experiences with moving from NE to FL are welcome to be discussed!
Having been to both recently I'd pick New England for both weather and general culture. Plus smaller states and its easy enough to vacation in major cities in the US or to venture to Canada.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,067 times
I agree with Michigan8, its a waste of time trying to explain why these historic homes are beautiful and a valuable part of history. These old homes have not only dealt with hurricanes, yes we have had them occasionally, but they deal with snow. These homes stand up to all the seasons nature can throw at them. New England is absolutely one of the most beautiful places you can live in. There's something special about it. I glad most people can appreciate that. I'm a Bostonian, raised in Mission Hill and proud of it. New England is so scenic. I am currently living in Florida and I really don't like it. Little to no opportunities to get ahead. The poverty level here is quite sickening. Really high crime and many disturbingly boring places. I know there are exceptions, but that has been my observation. I'm moving back to Massachusetts God willing.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:20 PM

10,779 posts, read 9,411,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Which area do you think is a better place to live overall? New England or Florida? I'm currently living in CT and contemplating a move to FL very soon. My only real concern is that I will get bored of having 1 season all year round. Not that I love the cold, but I think FL is more affordable and better for young single people. And I'm concerned that I might miss the quaintness and coziness of NE. So any experiences with moving from NE to FL are welcome to be discussed!
I find most New Englanders slow to adapt to change. They say they want warm weather and all, but they don't want the different culture that comes with moving as well. Many New Englanders believe that South Florida is "The Northeast with warm weather". Well, it's not that simple. Sure, there are many yankees living in South Florida, but they came in waves, and each wave had to get used to a predominantly southern climate and culture that got less and less southern with each wave. But it basically formed a culture of its own. Also, you have to mix in the Caribbean influence, it's a lot different than you may imagine.

If I were single, I would think that S. Florida would be a lot "more fun". I mean, girls in skimpy bikinis, warm sun all year, some of the best night clubs on the east coast, no closing times, white sand, clear water.

Just do it! But go there with an open mind and realize that you will have to adapt and not compare.

If you do that, you'll be living it up!

Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM

433 posts, read 867,145 times
I'm from New England and moved to Central Florida in 2009. It was suppose to be a seasonal move but i have stayed. After 5 years I'm strongly considering returning to New England.

Florida is a vacation destination. Lots of jobs but very very hard to find a good job for your resume or to get ahead. You have to look hard for even a low wage job and put a lot of effort in. Employees are not treated well. Advantage New England. You still may need to look hard but you will get paid somewhat well, treated well, and the job will most likely look good on your resume up in New England. However there are a more bulk level of jobs your qualified to apply to in Florida, even if you may be over qualified for them.

The heat is great at times but overall it wears you down after a while, the winter does too. You would think that would make it a draw but i actually give the edge to New England since there is more or a year round climate that has non-offensive temperatures. When your heading to the beach or have time off the weather in Florida seems great, but when your working overtime to afford some sort of quality of life and stuck in traffic, this kind of heat and humidity can wear you down after 8 consecutive months of it a year. Advantage New England.

Singles life? Well that goes to Florida hands down. Better night life environments, more entertainment venues, more open culture. Beaches everywhere. Gorgeous women.

If you want to find the girl next door to settle down with who is down to earth? Well that is advantage New England. Girls just tend to be more down to earth and realistic in New England. Girls down here want tall rich young good looking guys with 8 packs and movie star hair on average. Since it's somewhat realistic to attain that for many of them, they won't take an average person too seriously. I've never lived anywhere where i see so many guys with their **** together unable to find a steady girlfriend.

Diversity? Tie. Both have diversity of culture. It just comes down to what type of diversity. If you like the spanish/Carribean variety then Florida. Want it more balanced and well rounded? New England.

Cost of living? Advantage Florida. There are higher wage jobs in New England but many of the entry level jobs don't really pay too much more than down here. You will find that unless you get a very good paying job your money just doesn't go as far in New England. In Florida even with low wage ****ty jobs you will have more money to burn on average, problem is chances are you will burn it.

Entertainment? Well there's lots to do in both places
. It really depends what your looking for. Since Florida is a vacation destination there's a lot more places created for entertainment purposes down here. However there are plenty of cities in New England with lots to do and when you factor in how compact the area is overall i'd say New England entertainment meets the challenge. It has something for everyone and then some. Florida has a lot too. You have to add all the stuff to do up in all of New England though to really match Florida.

In the end id say Florida is best for people who:

Are retiring and have money.
Are very well off financially.
Are going there for college.

People who have money and arn't looking for a job will enjoy florida the most. Also young people going to college wanting a crazy experience have got to spend some time in Florida.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 PM

30,677 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I'm from New England and moved to Central Florida in 2009. It was suppose to be a seasonal move but i have stayed. After 5 years I'm strongly considering returning to New England.

Florida is a vacation destination. Lots of jobs but very very hard to find a good job for your resume or to get ahead. You have to look hard for even a low wage job and put a lot of effort in. Employees are not treated well. Advantage New England. You still may need to look hard but you will get paid somewhat well, treated well, and the job will most likely look good on your resume up in New England. However there are a more bulk level of jobs your qualified to apply to in Florida, even if you may be over qualified for them.

The heat is great at times but overall it wears you down after a while, the winter does too. You would think that would make it a draw but i actually give the edge to New England since there is more or a year round climate that has non-offensive temperatures. When your heading to the beach or have time off the weather in Florida seems great, but when your working overtime to afford some sort of quality of life and stuck in traffic, this kind of heat and humidity can wear you down after 8 consecutive months of it a year. Advantage New England.

Singles life? Well that goes to Florida hands down. Better night life environments, more entertainment venues, more open culture. Beaches everywhere. Gorgeous women.

If you want to find the girl next door to settle down with who is down to earth? Well that is advantage New England. Girls just tend to be more down to earth and realistic in New England. Girls down here want tall rich young good looking guys with 8 packs and movie star hair on average. Since it's somewhat realistic to attain that for many of them, they won't take an average person too seriously. I've never lived anywhere where i see so many guys with their **** together unable to find a steady girlfriend.

Diversity? Tie. Both have diversity of culture. It just comes down to what type of diversity. If you like the spanish/Carribean variety then Florida. Want it more balanced and well rounded? New England.

Cost of living? Advantage Florida. There are higher wage jobs in New England but many of the entry level jobs don't really pay too much more than down here. You will find that unless you get a very good paying job your money just doesn't go as far in New England. In Florida even with low wage ****ty jobs you will have more money to burn on average, problem is chances are you will burn it.

Entertainment? Well there's lots to do in both places
. It really depends what your looking for. Since Florida is a vacation destination there's a lot more places created for entertainment purposes down here. However there are plenty of cities in New England with lots to do and when you factor in how compact the area is overall i'd say New England entertainment meets the challenge. It has something for everyone and then some. Florida has a lot too. You have to add all the stuff to do up in all of New England though to really match Florida.

In the end id say Florida is best for people who:

Are retiring and have money.
Are very well off financially.
Are going there for college.

People who have money and arn't looking for a job will enjoy florida the most. Also young people going to college wanting a crazy experience have got to spend some time in Florida.
That is very well written. It made me think. I would have to agree with your observations.

After I retired I moved to a different region of New England, different from where you are obviously familiar. Here in Northern N.E. the primary economy is tourism. This is a vacation destination. The economy has been depressed for many decades, and only picks up a little bit in summer when the tourists arrive.

The other thing I find about this part of N.E. is the Cost of living is pretty low. The average household income in my town is around $20k. People stay here largely because they dont need to fight in the rat-race to be able to support a family.

We have a huge migration of retirees moving to Northern N.E. I think mostly folks who enjoy outdoors sports though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.