Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM

42 posts, read 147,980 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-Due to a health condition that I've been diagnosed with, I'm starting to rethink about staying here in Philadelphia (where I'm originally from) as the heat and humidity cause me to intensely itch.

If I did relocate-I'd like it to be somewhere that has progressive politics, an educated population and have some of the sophistication of a large city.

The places that have come to mind to me are: Seattle, WA/Portland,OR/Burlington, VT

Does anyone have any other suggestions of places I should look into that meet the criteria I'm looking for? Also I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on Seattle vs. Portland overall?

Thanks, Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Also consider Mpls/St Paul, as they meet your criteria.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

I wouldn't say Minnopolis and St. Paul have very low humidity, are you kidding me?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Hey Ben-From what I know it does get hot and humid in Minneapolis

Old 10-10-2007, 11:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Seattle's humidity isn't as high as Philadelphia's, but it's a lot higher than Denver's. It does get hot in Denver, though. You can go to the Seattle forum and read all about the weather there. There are dozens of threads about it.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Agree that Seattle or Portland would probably be great choices in terms of weather and politics, but just do a reality check on your bank account before you start looking for housing.

Also, I'm not sure about Oregon, but Washington outside the Seattle-Tacoma area (and even large #s of people within the corridor) is actually pretty conservative. And active -- there always seem to be ballot initiatives to more or less eliminate the government

Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Seattle's humidity isn't as high as Philadelphia's, but it's a lot higher than Denver's. It does get hot in Denver, though. You can go to the Seattle forum and read all about the weather there. There are dozens of threads about it.
Thanks-I cant imagine that Denver gets hotter than Philly and I'm sure the humidity is not even comparable?

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Agree that Seattle or Portland would probably be great choices in terms of weather and politics, but just do a reality check on your bank account before you start looking for housing.

Also, I'm not sure about Oregon, but Washington outside the Seattle-Tacoma area (and even large #s of people within the corridor) is actually pretty conservative. And active -- there always seem to be ballot initiatives to more or less eliminate the government
Thats OK-Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is probably the most conservative and redneck state in the Northeast so that wouldnt bother me too much

Old 10-10-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I wouldn't say Minnopolis and St. Paul have very low humidity, are you kidding me?
Well, he said he was interested in Burlington, VT so if he thinks that city has very low humidity, then he'd think MSP would, too. It's all relative. If you've ever been to Philly in the summer, you know you don't have to go out west to find lower humidity. He//, from Philly you can go up to Scranton to find lower humidity!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Whoops, sorry Ryan, I answered JustinFromBoise before I read your next post. Didn't mean to talk about you in 3rd person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.