U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,795,084 times
Reputation: 1053

Advertisements

The Mid-Atlantic region of the country is the commerce hub, the culture hub, the professional sports athletics hub, the cuisine hub, and the population hub of the US of A. What is the best area in the Mid-Atlantic and why? For the purposes of the thread I am going to define the Mid-Atlantic as follows:

Virginia
Washington DC
Maryland
Delaware
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York

As a Virginian, born and bred, I am inclined to cast my vote for the Old Dominion. We've got great beaches, beautiful mountains, amazing history, and a great mix of southern and northern culture that makes our state very unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2012, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,565 posts, read 2,567,767 times
Reputation: 1655
Virginia is indeed a fine state and can make a strong case (I went to college there), however my vote would go either to the areas just west/north of Philadelphia or the northern burbs of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Reputation: 6603
Ny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,094,315 times
Reputation: 609
If i had to choose it would be Baltimore/D.C. area love them both or maybe Richmond Va.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Reputation: 12991
New York City, since you're including it. There's no other place of that scale and magnitude in America. Its reputation is well-deserved. And it is the epicenter of the northeast/mid-Atlantic. Second would be Washington, D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63365
The entire state of Virginia wins across the board as far as I'm concerned! LOVE IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 AM
 
Location: MichOhioigan
1,546 posts, read 2,536,464 times
Reputation: 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City, since you're including it. There's no other place of that scale and magnitude in America. Its reputation is well-deserved. And it is the epicenter of the northeast/mid-Atlantic. Second would be Washington, D.C.
This ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63365
Virginia has it all - mountains, beaches, fertile valleys, four seasons, history, large cities and tiny hamlets, natural beauty and resources, a temperate climate, cultural attractions and a great variety of expressions of various cultures. I was blessed to live in Virginia for several years, and I go back every chance I get! Even though I've lived there and visited repeatedly, I've only been able to scratch the surface of all that this most beautiful state has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,795,084 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Virginia has it all - mountains, beaches, fertile valleys, four seasons, history, large cities and tiny hamlets, natural beauty and resources, a temperate climate, cultural attractions and a great variety of expressions of various cultures. I was blessed to live in Virginia for several years, and I go back every chance I get! Even though I've lived there and visited repeatedly, I've only been able to scratch the surface of all that this most beautiful state has to offer.
Agreed on all counts. Virginia, to me has some of the best qualities of any state. It is by far the best blend of southern and northern culture of any state. You can literally be in NY one minute and Alabama the next depending on where you are in the state, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63365
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Agreed on all counts. Virginia, to me has some of the best qualities of any state. It is by far the best blend of southern and northern culture of any state. You can literally be in NY one minute and Alabama the next depending on where you are in the state, lol.
You got that right - that's another reason why I like it.

Virginia is a state with a lot of class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top