Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times

Advertisements

I am from Puerto Rico, which as you know is part of the U.S. but not a state. I have lived here in the U.S. since 2006 and since then, I have travelled all across the eastern seaboard with the exception of Maine (I entered once but only a very small part near the border with NH; I have gone to all states in the coast, plus Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois (Chicago area only), West Virginia (north only), Alabama (Mobile), Mississippi (Pascagoula and Biloxi areas) and Louisiana (NOLA and Baton Rouge only).

States that I have travelled all across meaning great extents of the states: Florida (all except Panama City area), Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina, New York, Ohio and Indiana.

My next objectives in order are obviously in the west coast: SF, San Diego, Seattle, Salt Lake City and Denver. I am still not in the mood of interest to visit Texas although Austin is kind of attracting me lately. Of course there is also Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and the Cascades range in the NW.

So basically I have gone to different areas in the East, with Florida and the Appalachian range being my favorite areas. I still have to to the Smoky Mountains, but I have gone to the Blue Ridge and the Shenandoah, as well as parts of the Adirondacks.

The Eastern is dintinguished by having a lot of flat terrain and even most cities in spite of some of them being located near the mountains, keep the same "grid" with the extreme exception of Pittsburgh. I have gone to "unique" areas in the US like Morgantown, WV; Cumberland, MD and Wheeling, WV, but the city of Pittsburgh is by far the most unique city in the east on terms lf its natural beauty. I still didn't like the southern part of the metro with the old and dirty-looking buildings in the hills that much, but the eastern part and the northern part are very nice, as well as the city, being just as big as any other regular city but surrounded by mountains and the hundreds of bridges. Naturally speaking, Pittsburgh is my favorite city.

Yet, my most favorite metro area overall is Tampa Bay, where I currently reside. The area is pretty much sprawled but there are a lot of nice features here. There aint mountains here, but there are some nice views in the eastern parts lf Pasco, although it is indeed a very small part of it. Clermont, FL is a little more impressive but that is basically Orlando, and the rest lf the metro area in Orlando is not really that amazing to me. Tampa is located in a very privileged region in the state, where nice sunsets can be seen both in the bay and the Gulf. It is basically always fresh air and is pretty much a living city but not to the point of creating rush and stress like in other bigger metro areas.

Another area I lived that is really nice is Northern Virginia. The area is kind of unique in that it offers a lot of culture and variety, albeit the area is expensive and there is a not so nice rat race mentality going on there. But it has a lot of good scenary, and it is really close to pretty much everything; the mountains in less than an hour, the beach in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, NYC in 5 hours, and it is not that far from other metro areas like Philly, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Charlotte, Norfolk and lf course Baltimore which is the closest large city. Other cities that are reachable in less than one day driving time allowing are Chicago(11 hours), Boston (9 hours), Jacksonville (10 hours), Atlanta (9 hours), Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville, and Columbus, so it is basically kind of geocentric in the east coast, with Miami, Tampa, Orlando, New Orleans, Memphis, Milwaukee and Minneapolis the only eastern cities that may be considered far by the aspect of not being reachable in one day unless taking a flight.

Other areas I found nice when visited: Baton Rouge, Pensacola, Chicago (i was really impressed with the city, except for its flatness), Raleigh and Atlanta.

I am not sure now different it would be in the west but for what I have seen, the western cities are much more harmonic with nature than eastern cities are, meaning offering great views from high points and a great diversity in the different geographic sections. As I said, only Pittsburgh has been different for me in this aspect. They say Cincinnati is similar but I have not gone.

Other cities are pretty much alike between themselves. Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York are all similar except for the latter being a lot bigger. Cleveland, Charlotte, Buffalo, Columbus, Raleigh, very similar. Richmond and Jacksonville are like twins, separated by a long boring I-95 with nothing amazing between the cities. (Savannah is off I-95).

Florida, surprisingly enough considering its ridiculous flatness (cant believe how close to Cuba it is and Cuba has stunning mountains while FL has NONE) still have some fine hilly areas in the central peninsula and the panhandle. The best are in Clermont, Polk and parts of Pasco and Hernando, there are also some west of Ocala and in parts of Gainesville. Lake Placid, in US-27 close to Hendry is the most southern area that offers some rolling hills but they are already low. There is nothing beyond Highlands County south that can be geographically amazing (unless you consider a swamp being scenic, for some reason the state of Florida thinks it is) until you hit the Keys.

Although my visits to New England have been minor, the area also offers so nice views, especially when it is the only area in the eastern seaboard that has some high spots directly in front of the ocean, that is, you can see the ocean from high above. This is what makes Puerto Rico special to me, Puerto Rico has better views than anywhere in the east for the sightings of valley and the ocean (for me); in the eastern US you have to go to Maine for that. I still have to check the western part, Hartford and Springfield.

Another beautiful state I have gone is Pennsylvania. I already described Pittsburgh, but nonetheless the entire state offers great views: Harrisburg, Allentown, Western Philly Area, York, Lancaster, Gettysburg... The parts where the turnpike go, wow... US 15 crom Gettysburg has some nice hills surrounded by beautiful mountains. I have to say that beauty is equally shared with north and west Maryland and North W. Virginia. Western Viriginia along I 81 is really nice. Roanoke is a pretty nice town very close to the Blue Ridge. And people are really nice and polite.

Another area I found really beautiful is the eastern part of Ohio along I-70.

Now share what is what you find the most beautiful areas, including Hawaii and Alaska if you have gone lr live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,536 times
It isn't the most beautiful area in the US, but the Arrowhead of Minnesota and the north shore surprise alot of people. The small mountains, ridges, cliffs, lakes, waterfalls, marshes, shores and forests are pretty impressive.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
In the US, the rocksand beaches along the California coast are my favorite, especially Big Sur and Bodega Bay.
I have also learned to appreciate the endless deciduous forests in Ohio...living in the city all my life it's comforting to know there are still large swaths of forest which will not be developed or razed any time soon.
The red rocks of Sedona (Arizona) were pretty amazing too, though I would never live in the desert.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Most beautiful places I've been: rural parts of PA Dutch country, Vermont, Joshua Tree National Park in California, Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia, Western New York State, New York City skyline coming from northeast of the city, the historic parts of Boston and Philadelphia.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Yes, the US is FULL of beauty. I love the great diversity of our great nation.

My favorite state of all is Virginia. It seems to have a little - or rather, a LOT - of everything: Mountains, ocean, the beautiful Chesapeake Bay, rolling farmland, beautiful rural areas, fabulous big cities, history, culture - and it's still got a Southern gentility to it that I prefer. I was blessed to live there for several years, and I go there as often as I can.

My second favorite state is Texas. WOW - what a wide range of cultural experiences! The Hill Country around Austin is breathtakingly beautiful. East Texas is green and pleasant, with lots of large, clean lakes. West Texas is striking in it's sparseness - the sky there is so big and amazing that it takes my breath away. And Texas has many large metropolitan areas that offer a lot of diversity. OH - and the best food on earth. Period. In Houston, Dallas, and Austin you can find some of the best ethnic restaurants from all over the world. And fabulous Mexican food is within easy reach just about anywhere in Texas.

I love the Atlantic seaboard - especially the mid Atlantic states. North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, the whole Chesapeake region. I think Annapolis, Maryland on a rainy autumn day is one of the most romantic places on earth.

Then there's Oregon and Washington state. Wow, that coastline is AMAZING. The rocks, the whales, the crashing waves, even the rain and fog add positively to the experience. And further inland, the fertile hills and farmland are so green - it's amazing.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
No St. Louis? It's one of the most classic American cities!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:47 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Everywhere you go in the U.S. it's diverse and beautiful!

Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times
Sorry, I haven't gone to St. Louis, although I was close (Indianapolis). Some central areas are of my interest, but not before going to the west coast.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Sorry, I haven't gone to St. Louis, although I was close (Indianapolis). Some central areas are of my interest, but not before going to the west coast.
Indianapolis is nothing like St. Louis. St. Louis is much bigger, older and more historically and culturally significant.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I agree you should see the west coast and the Rocky mountain states too. California is like a whole different US, just very different there. Other areas you have not mentioned seeing but really are must see areas are the Mississippi valley and the western Great Lakes area. I know you said the central areas are on hold until you see the west, but if you havent seen the big muddy or visited a Lake Michigan beach you have missed out on seeing a very important part of this nation. The Mississippi is so important to this nations history, and the bluffs along the river are quite scenic. Lots of interesting river towns to explore. Michigan and Wisconsin are undiscoved tourism gems, the lakes and woods are the best in the lower 48. The Great Lakes are one of North Americas geologic wonders and they are truly a must see. Ive been to 46 of the 50 states, never seen Alaska Hawaii, Oregon and Washington. My goal is to see all 50, and then with Puerto Rican statehood on the horizon that needs to be seen as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.