U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,952,423 times

Advertisements

I don't know how Chicago ever made it on any 'best cities' list. My view of Chicago is that downtown Chicago and the far out suburbs like Arlington heights are nice. Anything in between is so much run down and impoverished that I can't describe the feeling I had anything other than a cultural shock. It looks like most of the buildings have not seen any paint or maintenance since the 1920's.

It really made me realize how rich and developed Western Europe is and how lucky I am to originate from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,628,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I don't know how Chicago ever made it on any 'best cities' list. My view of Chicago is that downtown Chicago and the far out suburbs like Arlington heights are nice. Anything in between is so much run down and impoverished that I can't describe the feeling I had anything other than a cultural shock. It looks like most of the buildings have not seen any paint or maintenance since the 1920's.

It really made me realize how rich and developed Western Europe is and how lucky I am to originate from there.
Lol, apparently you only went to the poor parts, becuase Chicago's northside is very wealthy and beautiful. Why don't you REALLY explore the city before making such ignorant comments.

Then again you like place like Arlington Heights, which makes me question your credibility.

Take a look, most people think Chicago is one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S. and it is not only downtown: Most Beautiful Major American City

Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,388,767 times
Quote:

Have you even visited Chicago? It certainly doesn't sound like you have.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:11 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,577,997 times
Quote:

+10000
Without the Loop Chicago would be worse than Detroit.
Also lol @ the Chicagoans getting all defensive cause reality was spoken.
Oh god forbid we cant ever critize Chicago. Rahm Emanuel will smite us.........

Old 11-19-2012, 06:22 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,171,615 times
Quote:

Chicago has roughly the same poverty rate as New York, Houston or Los Angeles. You're from the Netherlands, huh? Did you smoke some of that good stuff before posting?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,388,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
+10000
I guess Chicagoans just need to suck it up and accept the fact that their city will never be the cosmopolitan utopia known as Indianapolis which hosted the Super Bowl.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:48 PM

639 posts, read 941,365 times
Quote:
+10000
Not the most accurate statement at all. Chicago is the third most powerful city in America with a diversified economy, how is it anything like Detroit?

Saying you wish Chicago becomes as depressed as Detroit? Why would an American from one city bash another American city and hope they go for the worst?

BTW I've been to Indianapolis and hated it. There is no cool natural scenery there unlike Chicago or west coast cities. I'd rather live in Buffalo, Cleveland, or even Detroit before Indianapolis.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 11-19-2012 at 07:57 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,576,544 times
Quote:
+10000
So without the 1 sq mile office district, Chicago would be "worse" than Detroit? Right off the bat you fall into one of these categories:

1. High school kid who is trying to get a reaction
2. You've never been to Chicago
3. Your just a complete idiot

I read today in the WSJ that a condo sold in River North (not in the loop) for $15M in 3 days. Chicago has an international influence only a few cities in this country can touch.
Your idiotic comments says more about you than Chicago.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,576,544 times
Quote:
I live in my parents basement.
Fixed it for you....

Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,628,035 times
Hey this is for Broadrippleguy and drro, good way to make you shut up:

Chicago - NEIGHBORHOODS! - SkyscraperCity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or