U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,942,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago has roughly the same poverty rate as New York, Houston or Los Angeles. You're from the Netherlands, huh? Did you smoke some of that good stuff before posting?
I guess we have different standards. From the point of view of a Western European, the whole of Chicago except downtown is one big ghetto. Just because you are living there and Chicago apparently looks normal to you could mean you might want to broaden your view on the world by travelling to more developed parts of the world. And yeah, you would probably need to get a passport to do so.

By 'North Chicago' I guess you mean the area reached by the northbound road from downtown alongside the lake until you reach the big houses at the lake? That area looked pretty run down according to my standards as well. Big but poorly build and poorly maintained houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 AM

786 posts, read 1,602,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I guess we have different standards. From the point of view of a Western European, the whole of Chicago except downtown is one big ghetto. Just because you are living there and Chicago apparently looks normal to you could mean you might want to broaden your view on the world by travelling to more developed parts of the world. And yeah, you would probably need to get a passport to do so.

By 'North Chicago' I guess you mean the area reached by the northbound road from downtown alongside the lake until you reach the big houses at the lake? That area looked pretty run down according to my standards as well. Big but poorly build and poorly maintained houses.
You can think Chicago looks like one big ghetto, but it doesn't change the fact that it's one of the most important cities in the world with a GDP higher than any city we have in Europe. London and Paris may have a better global reputation, but reputation doesn't mean everything.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,619,863 times
Quote:

Did you even look at the link I provided? Anyway, as they say ant fix stupid so not arguing with you anymore.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,942,675 times
No, I didn't read your link but it would not change what I saw, the most run down and impoverished place I ever been. I don't care about lies, damned lies and statistics that attempt to show otherwise. But hey, if you are into gang culture and urban decay, Chicago may be the place for you. I am not arguing with that.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:16 AM

4,268 posts, read 5,473,848 times
^ hyperbole much?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,567,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Not the most accurate statement at all. Chicago is the third most powerful city in America with a diversified economy, how is it anything like Detroit?

Saying you wish Chicago becomes as depressed as Detroit? Why would an American from one city bash another American city and hope they go for the worst?

BTW I've been to Indianapolis and hated it. There is no cool natural scenery there unlike Chicago or west coast cities. I'd rather live in Buffalo, Cleveland, or even Detroit before Indianapolis.
Chicago is flatter than Indianapolis #1
and #2 where do you think the CME is? The CBOE and all that stuff that makes Chicago *World Class*
its in the loop
If you think Chicago would be world class without the CME well in 10-20 years well see about that

Also nice attempt at getting me fired up cause you would rather live in Detroit than Indianapolis.
Makes it so obivious that your trying to intagonize me.
Next time dont make it so obivious lol.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM

10,553 posts, read 13,109,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
+10000
Without the Loop Chicago would be worse than Detroit.
Also lol @ the Chicagoans getting all defensive cause reality was spoken.
Oh god forbid we cant ever critize Chicago. Rahm Emanuel will smite us.........
When was the last time you were in Logan Square or Andersonville?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
No, I didn't read your link but it would not change what I saw, the most run down and impoverished place I ever been. I don't care about lies, damned lies and statistics that attempt to show otherwise. But hey, if you are into gang culture and urban decay, Chicago may be the place for you. I am not arguing with that.
What's wrong, scared you might be proved wrong? Sounds like a chicken to me, haha.

Take a look at that link the pics are very pretty, I am sure you will be fine.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 AM

10,553 posts, read 13,109,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
1. High school kid who is trying to get a reaction
2. You've never been to Chicago
3. Your just a complete idiot
Number three is the most important and correct. He is a HS kid living in South Bend with some strange obsession/hatred of Chicago and an even stranger obsession/love of Indianapolis.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM

So I think anyone who is in doubts should take a look a this awesome thread:

Chicago - NEIGHBORHOODS! - SkyscraperCity

From what I have seen it has Nothside, Southside and Northwest neighborhoods in it and no downtown. It really makes people like drro and Broadrippleguy look foolish. Talk about putting you tail between your legs!

Yeah Chicago is nothing but one big ghetto outside of downtowwn, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or