U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,091,105 times

Advertisements

And how did it work out for you?

Was just pondering this because hubby and I just got back from yet another trip where we say, oooh, wouldn't it be nice to live there?

Of course hubby and I both know, and most people know, being on vacation and day to day living is very different.
However, I'm sure some people have fallen in love with a place while on a holiday and decided to move there.

If you are one of them, are you happy you did it? Is it vastly different from what you dreamed it would be? Worth the day to day frustrations because the pay off is worth it?
Any unexpected perils like sever allergies to the environment, natural disasters you didn't think about etc.?

In our case it's pretty remote we'd actually make a move with my hubby's job being secure and friends and some family near by... we've actually thought of looking into a job transfer to Boston or even Belgium! LOL! (pretty convenient to seeing the sights of Europe) but Southern California makes one lazy and thinking about shoveling snow... well...

Anyway, would love to hear your stories!
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 AM

606 posts, read 825,014 times
Redwoods...but....in a place I will never tell about.
Shhhh, must keep secret from The Masses!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
My wife and I jut happened to be passing through Madison, Florida, while on a lengthy road trip. We got up in the morning, liked the area, saw a sign for apartments for rent, and went and paid the deposit and moved in. We stayed there two years. We did the same thing a few years later in Salem, Missouri.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
Redwoods...but....in a place I will never tell about.
Shhhh, must keep secret from The Masses!
Oooooh, I love the Redwoods! Are you completely satisfied with the daily life as compared to being there on vacation?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My wife and I jut happened to be passing through Madison, Florida, while on a lengthy road trip. We got up in the morning, liked the area, saw a sign for apartments for rent, and went and paid the deposit and moved in. We stayed there two years. We did the same thing a few years later in Salem, Missouri.
I get the wander lust going sometimes and would love to live in different places in the U.S.
May I ask what you and your wife do for a living that you can do this?
Or are you retired? Independently wealthy?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM

606 posts, read 825,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Oooooh, I love the Redwoods! Are you completely satisfied with the daily life as compared to being there on vacation?

Wellll...it's not for everyone. The rain, pretty much is all year long, ...the 'culture': Don't see that slowing down anytime soon. But the scenic beauty is the best! Though, rather hard to enjoy if you're sliding down a 30 foot embankment of slick mud with sharp redwood stumps at the bottom! trust me.

Still, asked my wife, if I ever die, take as long as you want, but spread my ashes in the redwoods of N. California.
If that says anything to you.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,362,060 times
I decided to move to Alaska on my fourth day here. I was visiting from Florida for a conference and staying another couple of weeks to see the sights. I'd never seen anything like it, and I knew I wanted to get to know this place more than I could on vacations. I made another trip in late winter and moved up three months later. I've lived here two and a half years now. No unexpected perils, just occasional frustration, mostly due to the relative isolation. There are personal and professional challenges, and I do think about moving back down south fairly often, but there's still something about this place that keeps me here. I don't know if I'll stay here forever, but I'm glad I took the chance.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I decided to move to Alaska on my fourth day here. I was visiting from Florida for a conference and staying another couple of weeks to see the sights. I'd never seen anything like it, and I knew I wanted to get to know this place more than I could on vacations. I made another trip in late winter and moved up three months later. I've lived here two and a half years now. No unexpected perils, just occasional frustration, mostly due to the relative isolation. There are personal and professional challenges, and I do think about moving back down south fairly often, but there's still something about this place that keeps me here. I don't know if I'll stay here forever, but I'm glad I took the chance.
From Florida to Alaska! Wow!!!

I wish I could live in different regions for a few years just for the experience, but alas... reality.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:14 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,291,017 times
When I was in school I visited Washington, DC and really liked the place. I visited several more times and at graduation I moved there. Worked out well. I lived there five years and really enjoyed it.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 PM

39,339 posts, read 18,832,001 times
We had been thinkiing of moving to Florida.....from Maine....due to the obvious. We took a vacation to the Ft Myers area and met an on-line friend of mine.....and that friendship proved to be "solid". She and her husband helped us explore the area and provided invaluable assistance in checking out the realities of life in Florida. We put our home on the market and bought a house in Ft Myers. (Of course that took a little while to accomplish. We moved down here at the end of July....(the hottest most humid time of year) and we absolutely love it! No regrets...it gets better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or