U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times

Advertisements

Baton Rouge in the 90s was a bloodbath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,156,248 times
Columbus' economic makeup is still very much the same as the 90s. Still a mixed economy of insurance, banking, healthcare, research, government jobs, retail headquarters etc.

Columbus' main economic difference is that it lost the headquarters for Bank One, which then merged with Chase. Now Columbus' largest private employer is still Chase though (over 20,000 employees)

The biggest change, culturally, is the continued gentrification of the central city. This was just getting started in the early 90s and didn't really catch on to all parts of the central city until the late 90s and really the 2000s.

Also, downtown had a very small population, for living. And in the 2000s the condo/apartment boom started in downtown. Today that continues, but the condo part is died out and apartments are the choice for developers.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,866,255 times
Nashville was in a very transitional phase during the 90s. Although I wouldn't call them the glory days by any means, a lot of what was accomplished during the 90s laid the groundwork for the city's growth and urban revival that we are seeing today (a similar pattern to what a lot of major cities saw during that time).

The 90s started out with an absolute dud of a mayor in Bill Boner (yes, the name was very appropriate). His successor in the early 90s, Phil Bredesen, brought about some major civic changes that helped transform the city into the economic engine it is today.

Like a lot of cities, Nashville had urban decay problems that lingered from the 70s into the 80s. Residents were fleeing the central city. The idea of downtown living for the middle and upper middle classes was dismissed as crazy talk, as it was a somewhat dead and dangerous place after the sun went down and the office workers left for home. The old downtown retail stores slowly died away. Even in the early 90s, a small mall was developed in the middle of downtown, but it quickly died off primarily due to lack of support and not having a base of residents in the area. Older dilapidated (and sometimes not so dilapidated) urban buildings, some with architectural significance, were razed in favor of surface parking.

The mid 90s saw some of the worst violent crime in the city's history. In 1997, Nashville recorded 112 murders. During the 90s as a whole, the city reported 875 murders (an average of almost 88 per year). In contrast, during the 2000s, the numbers dropped to 740 total (74 per year) despite a healthy increase in population. In the last 5 years, that number has dropped a little lower, to about 68 per year (with 51 last year). The average murder rate was 16.2 in the 90s, as opposed to 12.4 in the 00s, and 11.0 in the last 5 years.

Some of the major changes brought in the 1990s included a new public library downtown (in the old retail/department store district), the construction of a new arena, and a new stadium near downtown, along with 2 new professional sports teams (NFL and NHL), bringing tens of thousands of residents from the city and suburbs downtown, and completely revitalizing the downtown entertainment district. The 90s also brought the first new residential structure downtown in several decades, and the tallest building (the "Batman Building"). There were also efforts to convert the upper floor space of many of downtown's historic commercial structures and warehouses into loft space, bringing new residents back downtown.

Today, a lot of that legwork accomplished in the 90s has revitalized the city center as a safer place, especially after dark (it's still not perfect -- but to see the difference between then and now is truly amazing). The revitalization of downtown has sparked interest in rehabbing the adjacent neighborhoods and renewing an interest in urban living. While the suburbs continue to grow and expand outwards, the city itself is rebuilding from the center outwards. Of course, not everything is rosy, as some of the city's outer neighborhoods have changed and gone downhill during this time, the population shift from the city center has stopped. The core area is no longer an area to avoid, but one with opportunity and a bright future.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,446,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In 1990, Raleigh was about half the size it is today. Since 1990, Raleigh's county (Wake) has more than doubled in population. The five tallest buildings in the city didn't exist in 1990 and its DT core was pretty much just the state government. While Raleigh has been a highly educated city for decades now, it has only become more so in the subsequent 22 years. It's also become more politically progressive, more densely populated and more International.
Raleigh's 4th tallest - Progress 1, has been around since the 70s. True though the other four are all recent.

It was a dead, empty downtown in the 90s. It has improved a lot as the politics of the city have changed, but it obviously still has a ways to go. I like to think of Durham and Raleigh as 'diamonds in the rough'. The potential is clearly there for them to turn into something pretty special, it's just going to take time and a concerted political effort.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,851,561 times
San Francisco, my city of birth was mostly the same except the building of the Giant's new stadium which opened in 1999 changed the downtown quite a bit.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Atlanta in the early 90's had an insane violent crime rate. Looking at FBI statistics going back to 1960, I have yet to find a city over 50,000 people that had as high a violent crime rate as Atlanta did in 1990 (the year I moved to GA). The only city that comes close is Miami during the 1980's drug wars. Though the crime rate is still above average, it is lightyears ahead of where it was in the early and mid 90's.
I don't know, New Orleans may contest.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
Matter of fact, New Orleans had the highest per capita murder rate in the US in 1994. About 450+ homicides in a city of 400,000.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,273,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Richmond VA was the murder capital with 59 murders per 100,000 residents in 1995. There was population loss and the retail district in downtown collapsed.

Things are much better now, with increases in residential population every year, tons of projects, the murder rate is a small fraction of what it used to be. Retail has even been returning in downtown, albeit very slowly.
Economic experts are saying that once the downtown population tips 20 thousand residents, then we should see a surge in retail (we are at a little over 15 thousand now).

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM

797 posts, read 1,159,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't know, New Orleans may contest.
Not totally.
Atlanta violent crime rate in 1990: 4,085 per 100,000
New Orleans violent crime rate in 1990: 2,259 per 100,000

Both of those violent crime rates were each cities highest rate from 1985 to 2010.
http://www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Cr...JurisLarge.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Matter of fact, New Orleans had the highest per capita murder rate in the US in 1994. About 450+ homicides in a city of 400,000.
424 murders with a population of 494,000 in 1994.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,144,623 times
I was born in 1987, so the oldest I ever was in the '90s was 12, so this story is going to be severely warped by the impressions of a kid. First, I'll say what I didn't know. I didn't know that Ed Rendell was elected as the city's first Jewish mayor (although, I knew who he was) and that he began the process of fixing the city's finances. I didn't really know that the city was going through revitalization at the time, especially the near northeast. Anyway, here's what I remember.

Both my parents worked in the early '90s, so my family would take me from our home in the suburbs and drop me off with my mom's parents in Northeast Philly. It was a little rowhouse with three bedrooms and a small kitchen. The carpet was brown and the couch was covered in plastic. There was also an unfinished basement that my grandfather slept in while we were there (us kids would take the master bedroom). My grandmother always made sure I'd say my prayers when I was in her home. Cars would zip by down the street all night long and their headlights would reflect through the blinds creating a square of light that would move around the bedroom. I remember thinking it had something to do with angels as a kid.

The neighborhood was nice. Both of my grandmother's neighbors were Jewish retirees. We'd sit outside on the steps talking. Everyone was very friendly. There were some signs my grandmother was going senile as she thought that the Black and Arab families that were moving into the neighborhood had "kidnapped" the old ladies who used to live in those homes. In hindsight, it was a sign of a changing neighborhood, but at the time, I just thought my grandmother was crazy.

My grandfather would always spoil me, even though he didn't have much money. We used to go to Roy Rodgers (back when it existed). He'd get a coffee, pour in a ton of sugar and cream, and give a little to us in the empty half-and-half containers. We also used to ride the bus to the Neshaminy Mall in Bensalem, but I guess that got to be too much of a pain (sometimes we'd just miss the bus and go back). Eventually, we started walking to the KB Toys at the Roosevelt Mall (Roosevelt and Cotman). My grandfather taught me to jaywalk using streets that are definitely not safe for an eight-year-old.

Overall, that neighborhood of Northeast Philly was pretty nice then. It was nicer then than the last time I was there (there was trash everywhere). That was a windy day, so that's partly to blame. One of my grandmother's neighbors still lives there. She says that the people who have moved in next to her (an East Asian family) is very nice, but that they don't speak much English. No one sits on the steps to talk anymore. I also went to my cousin's place a few times in South Philly and Northeast Philly (she moved a few times). One year was a block party, so the main entertainment was a fire hydrant. You could still open it up back then (do they still do that?). I also remember a big pot of meatballs for hoagies and everyone gathering to watch football.

I said that Northeast Philly has changed (more diverse, but less friendly). Other areas of the city have definitely become more vibrant. Center City and the surrounding areas have had so many more things to do with many restaurants opening. As a kid, I liked Center City, though, but I have a kid's perspective. I was one of those kids sent to camp. One camp was at the Atwater Kent museum, which was partly an educational experience about Philadelphia's history and partly a babysitting service (councilors would play games with us). I would walk from there to my dad's job at 4th and Market. Looking at the neighborhood now (Market East) and I can see that it's one of the last areas that needs to be revitalized, but as a kid, I looked right past it to Old City, which was nice then as it is now (I think). I spent a lot of time in museums, actually. I had another summer camp at the Academy of Fine Arts. I loved the Franklin Institute and Please touch Museum. I volunteered at the Academy of Natural Sciences when I was about 12 or so (so, very late '90s into the '00s).

I remember some other things I remember as a kid. I liked going into the Macy's at Christmas. I loved the lights at boathouse row (every time we drove back home to the suburbs, I always remember the twinkling lights of the city--not just on the Schuylkill, but all of the buildings). One Christmas we went on a tour of all the decorated houses in Fairmount (well, about as many as a kid could take). I remember those Elephant Keys from the Zoo. I went to South Street a couple times, but I remember my mom not liking it because of how much it changed from the fabric district she remembered as a kid. We also went to the Italian market a couple times, but almost always to buy a cake for party my cousins were having in South Philly. One year, I was in the Boscov's Thanksgiving Day Parade (as it was called at the time). I guess that was a good experience, but I mostly remember being cold and wet and thankful to get hot chocolate. I remember a large group of bikers riding down the street shouting, but also pissing everyone off because they ignored all traffic laws (they blocked the entire road and ran all red lights). Oh, and I guess I remember Phillies games the most of all. The Vet, as bad as it was, is something I kind of miss (but I much prefer Citizens Bank).

Sorry for the nostalgia trip. Since I can't really give an accurate broad view of what Philadelphia was like in the '90s from memory, I thought I'd instead say what I do remember. Broadly, from what I know, I'd say that Philly has come a long way. Center City was always nice and always had things to do, but it's become nicer and there are more things to do. The restaurant scene in particular has exploded. Philadelphia's nightlife has expanded. When I was a kid no one was talking about Northern Liberties and when they mentioned Kensington, it wasn't positively. Parts of West Philly have improved as well. I'm not sure if the Vietnamese community was strong on Washington in the '90s, but I've become aware of it. I did go into Chinatown a few times. North Philly has declined for the most part, although my mom says Temple is better than when she went there. I think the Northeast has declined in parts. Not to the point where it's not safe by any stretch, but the congeniality between long-time neighbors doesn't exist--or at least it doesn't in my grandmother's former block.

It's weird, my connections to Philadelphia should have faded as I moved away--first to Delaware in 2003 and then to a couple cities since graduating from the University of Delaware--but my connection has grown stronger, I think. Maybe I remember the twinkling lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or