U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Tulsa's a smale scale Portland?
Yes 12 10.00%
No 108 90.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM

9,466 posts, read 12,307,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How do we make Tulsa more vibrant and exciting? It looks like it has some great potential walkable neighborhoods. Y'all want mass transit or something?
People in Tulsa have been fighting for 15 to 20 years for Commuter , Light Rail and Street Cars , but there's more in Tulsa against it than for it , as simple as that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
People in Tulsa have been fighting for 15 to 20 years for Commuter , Light Rail and Street Cars , but there's more in Tulsa against it than for it , as simple as that....
There are many in Portland and the suburbs who have fought it too. Some successfully. The problem is that when a light rail goes into service, bus service is cut back or eliminated altogether and those who do not live on light rail lines and depended upon those bus lines are stranded. Also, fares are always increased. Many of us have petitioned for our bus service to remain but to no avail.

Light rail service has been a mixed blessing. On the whole, it has not been the best solution for all of Portland's public transportation needs.

The street car lines have not been a very big success. They mostly carry tourists from one event to another in the downtown area.

Tulsa, if they are ever going to implenment these services would do well to take a good look at these and learn what to do and what not to do.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont 22 View Post
Not to mention, lots of different ethnicities. Even if most of them are white (30% of them aren't), it's not like Romanians, English, Irish, Russians, Italians, Ashkenazi Jews etc are all one homogeneous mold. And then like I said you have Mexican, Chinese, Vietnamese, Black, etc. I'd say Portland is more multicultural than Cleveland or somewhere like that.
Well here's the breakdown according to wikipedia:

The census reported the city as 76.1% White (444,254 people), 7.1% Asian (41,448), 6.3% Black or African American (36,778), 1.0% Native American (5,838), 0.5% Pacific Islander (2,919), 4.7% belonging to two or more racial groups (24,437) and 5.0% from other races (28,987).[137] 9.4% were Hispanic or Latino, of any race (54,840). Whites not of Hispanic origin made up 72.2% of the total population.

We have a Russian speaking community and many people are of Irish and British descent who can trace their families back for generations. There is a population of Ashkenazi Jews and there are a few Sephardic Jews as well. You will also find small populations of Germans, Poles, Greeks and Italians as well. It isn't like your larger cities but there are certainly representations of these groups in Portland.

We have maybe one or two churches where the different ethnicities can be found or even some old ethnic restaurants still run by families run by people who immigrated from the old countries or their children. Of course nothing like the larger cities but they do exist. I don't know what Tulsa has but this is pretty much what Portland consists of.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 AM

742 posts, read 720,431 times
Tulsa is 57.9% White (227,021 people), 15.6% Black (61,230), 14.1% Hispanic (55,266), 5% Native American (19,473), 2.3% Asian (8,926), 0.07% Pacific Islander (278), 4.9% are two or more races (19,239), and 0.1% belonging to other races (473).

Old 11-17-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There are many in Portland and the suburbs who have fought it too. Some successfully. The problem is that when a light rail goes into service, bus service is cut back or eliminated altogether and those who do not live on light rail lines and depended upon those bus lines are stranded. Also, fares are always increased. Many of us have petitioned for our bus service to remain but to no avail.

Light rail service has been a mixed blessing. On the whole, it has not been the best solution for all of Portland's public transportation needs.

The street car lines have not been a very big success. They mostly carry tourists from one event to another in the downtown area.

Tulsa, if they are ever going to implenment these services would do well to take a good look at these and learn what to do and what not to do.
Urban Rail is only good for high " traffic and or high density area's of a city " and Tulsa OK need to do a ( computer program assisted ) study of it's actual metro bus usage figures and build a combine system of (BRT) which is bus..rapid,,transit..bus'es with platforms raised above street level pretty much like rail transit and ( also retain those bus routes with heavy usage with bus stops every two or three blocks )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_rapid_transit

http://www.embarq.org/en/node/28

http://www.metro.net/projects/wilshire/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZl1N6bTp_M

Last edited by Howest2008; 11-17-2012 at 01:39 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,905 times
Default Tulsa Liberal

We love Tulsa. It has the largest Unitarian church in the world and a second one to boot. I heard it has the second largest gay and lesbian center also. The arts district is growing. There is also a Wholefoods. If you are liberal you could do worse.

Also the city is beautiful. It is a true gem. No driving hassles and we think the weather is good - except for that heat wave this summer.

All of that for a great deal. Beautiful homes in beautiful neighborhoods with good schools in certain areas and outstanding magnet schools.

Our neighborhood is nice- not one of the gorgeous oil money hoods, but nice - and I can walk to everything. You can find walkable neighborhoods if you plan.

We made our choice by searching on line and a scouting trip. We are very happy with our choice.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiMom View Post
We love Tulsa. It has the largest Unitarian church in the world and a second one to boot. I heard it has the second largest gay and lesbian center also. The arts district is growing. There is also a Wholefoods. If you are liberal you could do worse.

Also the city is beautiful. It is a true gem. No driving hassles and we think the weather is good - except for that heat wave this summer.

All of that for a great deal. Beautiful homes in beautiful neighborhoods with good schools in certain areas and outstanding magnet schools.

Our neighborhood is nice- not one of the gorgeous oil money hoods, but nice - and I can walk to everything. You can find walkable neighborhoods if you plan.

We made our choice by searching on line and a scouting trip. We are very happy with our choice.

I guess that's the reason why we have this thread " Is Tulsa A Smaller Scale Portland " there are highlights within the city proper of Tulsa Oklahoma that are truly World Class.....
Gilcrease Museum
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1024&bih=595

Philbrook Museum

Tulsa BOK Center

Cain's Ballroom

River Park Tulsa Oklahoma
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...4&qs=SC&sk=AS3

Woodward Park/Tulsa Garden Center
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...0-23&sp=-1&sk=

Last But Certainly Not Last Or Least Is The Mabee Center

Last edited by Howest2008; 11-18-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Urban Rail is only good for high " traffic and or high density area's of a city " and Tulsa OK need to do a ( computer program assisted ) study of it's actual metro bus usage figures and build a combine system of (BRT) which is bus..rapid,,transit..bus'es with platforms raised above street level pretty much like rail transit and ( also retain those bus routes with heavy usage with bus stops every two or three blocks )

Bus rapid transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bus Rapid Transit | EMBARQ

Wilshire Bus Rapid Transit Project

Making Things Happen with Bus Rapid Transit, Part I - YouTube
Sounds like Tulsa is doing it right. I don't know why people get so enamoured of lightrail. It's not the answer for every city. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it is the answer to every city's commuter situations.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Sounds like Tulsa is doing it right. I don't know why people get so enamoured of lightrail. It's not the answer for every city. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it is the answer to every city's commuter situations.
Light rail is very might the trendy thing right now. I agree that its not the answer for every cities especially low-density ones like Tulsa, but it is the trendiest and bodes well with the young hipster crowd.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Light rail is very might the trendy thing right now. I agree that its not the answer for every cities especially low-density ones like Tulsa, but it is the trendiest and bodes well with the young hipster crowd.
I think that " Rail Transit " does two things for a city ( any city ) first off " it's a sure fire way to relieve " ( urban traffic jams ) . but secondly and more importantly it's the best way to build up Corporate and Residential Urban Density within a city..Urban Project follow Rail Transit Like A Sheep Follows A Shepherd, Tulsa is trying theirs best to get ( off the top of my head a 6 miles Phase 1 Light Rail Project..from the BOK Center Brady Theater Blue Dome Entertainment District to the West Bank of the River Park Area.....if the Local Tulsa People Don't Stop Them...

Tulsa Planning and Development-Interview 2 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.