U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Tulsa's a smale scale Portland?
Yes 12 10.00%
No 108 90.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:21 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Everybody I've ever known who has ever lived in Tulsa said she loved it. She moved there from Pueblo, where she was always sick, and got healthy immediately in the clean Tulsa fresh air. I've spent a couple of days there myself, and it seems like a very nice, liveable city, with decent, relaxed people. I think I'd like it better than Portland. Oklahoma is a beautiful state, and it is a very short drive from Tulsa to unspoiled mountainous countryside in one direction and open range old West in another.
Clean air? You have to be kidding me. Tulsa has numerous refineries, coal plants, gas plants, industries, highways, etc. They have numerous air quality alert days during the warmer months of the year. The roads and infrastructure in Tulsa are a complete mess and I should know as I have a family member who lives there. Taxes are low there because the emphasis is not on education for the most part.

I prefer Portland. It has more of the things that I like but in a much more human-scaled and pedestrian friendly environment. I don't like bigger cities, but Portland has plenty of woodsy places to choose from that are close to the city. It also has more Canadian and European influences to its built environment and culture that Tulsa generally lacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,751,711 times
Portland spelled backwards is Ndaltrop.

Tulsa spelled backwards is... well, you know.

No similarity whatsoever.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,271,682 times
I used to live in Tulsa and I can say I did like it, the people were very friendly. The city was somewhat sprawled out and it has a better than average freeway system for a city its size. The only thing I didn't like about Tulsa is that the city shuts down early and its pretty quiet overall. I kinda miss the place. Never been to Portland so I can't compare them.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,516,121 times
I've never been to Tulsa but as a native Portlander I could never picture ANYONE comparing Portland to anywhere in Oklahoma. Oklahoma is so conservative, Portland is so liberal.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,048,482 times
Tulsa and Portland are complete opposites in so many ways. Portland is twentysomething paradise while young people who don't marry at 21 are trying to get out of Tulsa. Portland is liberal, tolerant, and has a vibrant LGBT community while Tulsa is conservative and religious. Portland most of all is looked on very positively by most of the country especially twentysomethings while Tulsa is looked on very negatively.

That's not to say Tulsa isn't a fine town for those who live there, and in fact it isn't totally void of hipsters, but it is nothing like Portland, not even close. Tulsa is generally used in the same sentence as Wichita, OKC, Little Rock, and Springfiled MO. Portland is used with Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin.

Dream of the 90s - Portlandia on IFC - YouTube

Tulsa: Portraits of an Oil Town - YouTube

Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
All I know after living in Portland for a number of years, and only visiting Tulsa a few times thru the years. Everyday is Halloween in Portland while everyday is Oklahoma in Tulsa. To me they are very different places.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 AM

22,149 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Tulsa did have a fairly large independent music scene for a while. Otherwise, I can't see much similarity. The PNW and Portland in particular are some of the most irreligious areas of the US and Tulsa is not. One is substantially more progressive/liberal than the other. I wouldn't mind if Tulsa did become more like a smaller scale Portland though.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,852,435 times
I take offense at Portland being compared to Tulsa lol.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:19 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,048,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I take offense at Portland being compared to Tulsa lol.
I agree. Portland is so far above and beyond Tulsa you can't really compare them. If you are in your twenties, Portland is your heaven and Tulsa is your hades.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM

9,443 posts, read 10,194,349 times
I'm not sure I could even compare the Cowboy culture of Oklahoma to the Cowboy culture of Eastern Oregon. They seem a little different from each other also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.