U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Tulsa's a smale scale Portland?
Yes 12 10.00%
No 108 90.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So you think that Tulsa and Portland are alike? Well okay then.
I ddn't say anything about Portland. I was replying to a poster who said apples and oranges were not alike.

I bet, though, if I took your blindfold off in a Best Buy store and asked you if you thought you were in Tulsa or Portland, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju 88 View Post
I didn't say anything about Portland. I was replying to a poster who said apples and oranges were not alike.

I bet, though, if I took your blindfold off in a Best Buy store and asked you if you thought you were in Tulsa or Portland, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I am that poster. I was making the analogy between apples and oranges and Portland and Tulsa. Sheesh. This is a common expression. It is not literally about apples and oranges. Have you never heard this expression before? It isn't a debate about semantics it's about the differences or similarities between two cities.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,731,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I ddn't say anything about Portland. I was replying to a poster who said apples and oranges were not alike.

Yes I would. I'd see a hipster and his bisexual lover and Obama/Biden 2012 bumper stickers on every Prius in the parking lot at the Best Buy in Portland. In Tulsa, I'd see big gas guzzling monster trucks with birther stickers an everyone there would live 10 miles out into the burbs.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:33 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Yes I would. I'd see a hipster and his bisexual lover and Obama/Biden 2012 bumper stickers on every Prius in the parking lot at the Best Buy in Portland. In Tulsa, I'd see big gas guzzling monster trucks with birther stickers an everyone there would live 10 miles out into the burbs.
This.

Portland is the cool, trendy teenager while Tulsa is the backward, old fashioned parent.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am that poster. I was making the analogy between apples and oranges and Portland and Tulsa. Sheesh. This is a common expression. It is not literally about apples and oranges. Have you never heard this expression before? It isn't a debate about semantics it's about the differences or similarities between two cities.
Yes, I've heard the expression before. It is the universal confession of argumentative failure by a person who has been soundly defeated, trotted out whenever there is a need to sound clever while dismissing any argument that contradicts one's own unsustainable viewpoint.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Average price of gas today for a Prius in Portland = $3.90. For a pickup truck in Tulsa - $3.12. Point for Tulsa.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,043,716 times
Quote:
Average price of gas today for a Prius in Portland = $3.90. For a pickup truck in Tulsa - $3.12. Point for Tulsa.
Portland has higher gas prices but it's pretty easy to live there without a car. I have several friends from college who packed up and moved to Portland after graduation and they mostly ride bikes to get around. Portland has many walkable neighborhoods as well. In Tulsa, there are few if any truly walkable neighborhoods and owning a car is pretty much a requirement because of the lack of public transportation. Plus, I think a 40 mpg car at 3.90/gal still has the edge over a 9 mpg monster pickup truck at 3.19/gal.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,731,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Portland has higher gas prices but it's pretty easy to live there without a car. I have several friends from college who packed up and moved to Portland after graduation and they mostly ride bikes to get around. Portland has many walkable neighborhoods as well. In Tulsa, there are few if any truly walkable neighborhoods and owning a car is pretty much a requirement because of the lack of public transportation. Plus, I think a 40 mpg car at 3.90/gal still has the edge over a 9 mpg monster pickup truck at 3.19/gal.
Point for Portland.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,614,876 times
Quote:

Trick question, because you'd have to go to the suburbs to even find a Best Buy store in Portland...okay, there's one near the airport.

Quote:

We don't allow the mythical Prius-driving hipsters to venture out of the "Pale of Settlement" in Portland from roughly NE/SE 60th to the western and southern borders of downtown near the West Hills. If you made it out to a Best Buy in a Portland suburb you'd see a very unremarkable slice of middle class folks with a small mix of Asian and Hispanic families.

As far as Tulsa goes--I hear they have great Art Deco buildings downtown--though I've never been there and it's pretty far off the radar for me to really visit, so I can't judge it by any means.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM

269 posts, read 349,327 times
I think the sense of arts & culture is quite similar in both Tulsa and Portland, but that's really about it. Tulsa is much more traditional in many of its popular views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.