U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times

Advertisements

84% of vehicles in Illinois actually use the open road tolling and don't have to stop at all. The lanes of traffic continue on with transponders hanging above the road that read a small box in your car to deduct the toll (it's all hooked up to bank accounts). People who actually need to pay in cash (about 15%) have to exit off to the right, pay the toll and then merge back into the mainstream of traffic.

For those who do stop it's all green arrows and red X's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 616 times
Speaking of toll plaza lane status indicators, does anyone have any idea as to what the light dot bars above these toll booths might mean? The photo was taken in 1932 at the Staten Island toll booth of the then recently completed Bayonne Bridge. I lived in Bayonne, NJ in the 1950s, and the indicators were still in use then, and no one knew what they meant then (well, neither my parents nor my friends).

(Some have suggested a clock of some sort, with one indicating the hour, and the other the minute, but shadows indicate photo was taken mid-to late afternoon.)

I suppose they were hi-tech in 1932, but sure are strange.
Attached Thumbnails
Toll plaza lane status indicators - red and green ball lights vs red X and green down arrow symbols-bayonnebridge1932.jpg  

Old 10-04-2015, 01:14 PM

32,398 posts, read 59,890,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The problem with ball lights isn't necessarily due to color blindness in some people, it is due to ambiguity of the meaning of the lights. A red ball light on a tollbooth doesn't indicate stop, it indicates the lane is closed. At the same time, unless you have an electronic toll collection transponder, a green ball light doesn't indicate go, as you have to stop if you are paying cash.
I'd rather go with the color blindness theory than think that people are stupid enough to not understand what a red light or a green light means at a toll booth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.