U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,853,897 times

Advertisements

In the sense that it has the distinctive characteristics of its region most strongly developed? I would say:

West: Nevada - extremely libertarian, irreligious, legal gambling, high mobility/few native borns, very arid, mountainous

South: Mississippi - very conservative, evangelical, strong accents even among young people, highly rural, poor

Midwest: Iowa - traditional, entirely within the Corn Belt/prairie, neutral accent, continental climate

Northeast: Connecticut - a decent mix of Mid-Atlantic and New England socially, lots of Italians, Irish, Blacks, Jews, and Anglos, very urbanized, wealthy

So yeah, I'd consider Nevada, Mississippi, Iowa, and Connecticut the epitomes of their regions, if you're going by the Census-based 4 region model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,051,879 times
Northeast - New York
South - Georgia
Midwest - Indiana
Southwest - Arizona
Interior West - Colorado
West Coast - California

Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,778,608 times
I didn't know the south was poor.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,472,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Its not, and I disagree with the OP, Mississippi is not the epitome of the south. Georgia does a better job of representing the south as a whole than any other southern state. Georgia is both urban and rural, appalachian and deep south, old and new south. No other southern state can say all those things.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,051,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Its not, and I disagree with the OP, Mississippi is not the epitome of the south. Georgia does a better job of representing the south as a whole than any other southern state. Georgia is both urban and rural, appalachian and deep south, old and new south. No other southern state can say all those things.
Agreed. Georgia is a microcosm of the entire Southeast. Mississippi is to the South what Michigan is to the Midwest.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 PM

281 posts, read 588,737 times
If by epitome you mean butthole, then yes, Nevada is the epitome of the west.

If you mean which state best represents the region, then it's California.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
On average, it tends to have more poor areas than other parts of the country. The only areas poorer would be Native American reservations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I'm definitely in agreement here. Although I'd say NC also has all of those characteristics, those elements and they way they are contrasted are more pronounced and "stereotypical" in Georgia.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
NE is NJ IMHO

Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,347,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NE is NJ IMHO
as a representation of the Northeast from the Potomac to Maine? Disagree, Connecticut has more of those elements from each corner of the region. The OP was more on target being a microcosm of having both New England and Mid Atlantic characteristics.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
as a representation of the Northeast from the Potomac to Maine? Disagree, Connecticut has more of those elements from each corner of the region. The OP was more on target being a microcosm of having both New England and Mid Atlantic characteristics.

Maybe you are right as the region. I think I was thinking more the NE corrider of which to me it would be (meaning NJ) would also be basically the geographic center and heart of the region IMHO

Also NJ from a topography standpoint may better be the mircrocosm with beaches, cities, and mountains moreso than CT

CT at its north takes on too much New England feel and lack the lower Mid Atlantic feel.

Maybe though in thinking of the region there isnt a perfect match but both NJ and CT would have their flaws To that extent for the whole region NY state (or a PA though lacks beaches) would encomapass more with the rural mountainous regions etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or