U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 PM

17,305 posts, read 19,585,657 times

Advertisements

Washington, D.C. - most people who live in this area don't even discuss national politics 99% of the time. In the same way, a degree in political science or government will get you hardly anywhere career-wise in this city.

By contast, engineers, lawyers, scientists, and health-care professionals do well (make high salaries) in the DC area.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-03-2012 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,326,666 times
Minneapolis isn't as cold and isolated as most people believe it is. The key difference is the 3 coldest winter months, when it's about 10 degrees cooler than most of the rest of the Northern cities......that's it.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM

372 posts, read 360,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'd agree with Pittsburgh. It's probably got more in common with Portland or Seattle these days than it does with Toledo or Cleveland or any other traditional rust belt city.
What does Pittsburgh have in common with Seattle or Portland? Pittsburgh has more in common with Detroit and St. Louis than it does with those two. Don't sugarcoat things.

Pittsburgh is rust belt. Don't even try to put Cleveland down. I have spoken quite highly of Pittsburgh, but leave it to some Pittsburgh resident to bash Cleveland. I would take Cleveland's offerings over Pittsburgh's any day.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Not all of Baltimore is a crime-ridden cesspool. There are multi-million dollar homes, in very affluent neighborhoods that aren't just in the downtown area.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,170,148 times
When I tell people in other countries that I'm from Chicago they often say, "Bang, bang, Al Capone!" What the hell? That was almost 100 years ago.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When I tell people in other countries that I'm from Chicago they often say, "Bang, bang, Al Capone!" What the hell? That was almost 100 years ago.
Same here and I haven't lived in Chicago for 34 years and I still hear this when I tell people I am originally form there. And Chicago is called the "Windy City" because of a loud mouth politician not because of the wind that blows off the lake.

I find people in Cleveland and Minneapolis very friendly although I have often heard otherwise. Having spent time in these cities, I have to say I have always been treated well by the people I have met there. And I mean not only as a tourist, I have traveled on city buses and trains and just chatted with residents about their cities.

I am going to get flack for this, but I disagree with many who believe that Portland OR where I live now is the ultimate in liberal, trendy and hipsterism. Yes, we have these things and yes they are in the forefront since they get a lot of publicity but no, they do not constitute the entire population of the city as many believe. In my opinion, Portland is no more liberal than any other city that has a liberal leaning.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 AM

4,175 posts, read 4,628,154 times
Indianapolis used to be a city with a downtown that was deserted after 5PM and even earned the nickname Naptown. But over the last 2 decades downtown has been transformed into a very vibrant urban core with a lot of shopping, restaurants, and bars. It's certainly not a 24 hour town, but it no longer shuts down at 5PM.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,856,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

Well, the original might be long gone but there are many people made in his image in the city to this day. Just look at their politics.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,707,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
What does Pittsburgh have in common with Seattle or Portland? Pittsburgh has more in common with Detroit and St. Louis than it does with those two. Don't sugarcoat things.

Pittsburgh is rust belt. Don't even try to put Cleveland down. I have spoken quite highly of Pittsburgh, but leave it to some Pittsburgh resident to bash Cleveland. I would take Cleveland's offerings over Pittsburgh's any day.
Interesting you interpret that as a bash when there was nothing at all negative said about Cleveland.

You're welcome to take your town's offerings over mine (and for the record, I'm not a Pittsburgh native and worked for a Cleveland company for several years).

But since you asked:
- more VC investment than Cleveland
- more technology businesses and patents than Cleveland
- more of those precious third-wave coffeehouses Portland and Seattle are famous for
- soon to be home of the official 'badge' of hipsterdom, an Ace Hotel (the sixth in US and only one not on a coast - others in Seattle, Portland, Palm Springs, NYC and LA)

Not to mention it's getting younger and population growth is now on the upswing for past two years after decades of continuous decline.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 AM

56,741 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Snowfall in terms of cities like Buffalo and Syracuse is based on the metro area and varies greatly. In the Buffalo area, snowfall is higher south of the city, while north of the city into Niagara County averages about 50-70 inches. In the Syracuse area, Oswego County is gets more snow and the snowbelt ends around Brewerton/Route 31 near Cicero. As you go further south, the snowfall average decreases, with towns south of Syracuse averaging around 70-90 inches, give or take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.