U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 PM

17,427 posts, read 21,267,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Minneapolis isn't as cold and isolated as most people believe it is.
I lived in Minneapolis for 21 years. A 6-7 hour drive to both Milwaukee/Chicago, a 6 hour drive to Des Moines, a 9-10 hour drive north to Winnipeg. If that isn't isolated, what is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,706,454 times
Quote:
I read the parameters, but still......I wouldn't peg Pittsburgh ahead of the other cities listed in regards to economic prosperity moving forward, but that's not to say I don't think or understand that Pittsburgh is reviving and doing very well.
I can appreciate skepticism. There are some things that need to go Pgh's way. But there's some serious game-changing technology coming out of here, often spurred by CMU. If the development and manufacturing of those products stays here, we're golden. If it goes offshore, not so much. And should PNC ever get bought out, things could get ugly quick. But the fact that more young people are now staying here after graduating and city population growth is actually net positive for first time since the 50s is a great indicator that momentum already achieved is about to take a big leap forward.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Salt Lake City has to rank high in this category. Fiction such as "it's all Mormon" (actually less than 50% and decreasing annually) and that it's dry or hard to buy alcohol (there are hundreds of restaurant, bars/microbreweries and other venues where one can imbibe) as well as state-run liquor stores (just like many other states, PA and VA for example). It also has a sizable LGBT community and has had a Democratic mayor in office continuously since 1976 for those that think it's conservative and "non-progressive".

Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,325,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I lived in Minneapolis for 21 years. A 6-7 hour drive to both Milwaukee/Chicago, a 6 hour drive to Des Moines, a 9-10 hour drive north to Winnipeg. If that isn't isolated, what is?
Says the guy from Vegas....in the middle of nowhere!

BTW, I have no idea why it takes you 6 hours to get to Des Moines, considering I got to KC in 6.5. You need to try driving the speed limit next time (or above)! Same with Winnepeg -- most people say it takes about 7 hours. You're right about Milwaukee/Chicago though, although I've gotten to Chicago is 6 hours, downtown to downtown. Madison is 4 hours away (3.5 for me) and although a lot of people could care less LaCrosse and Duluth/Lake Superior are 2.5 hours away, and Rochester, St. Cloud and Eau Claire are 1-1.5 hours away (how exciting, right?).

Minneapolis isn't close to any of these cities but there's a lot inbetween, especially East, and it doesn't feel isolated whatsoever in that direction. I also think being close (enough) to an Alpha World City makes it feel less isolated too, which is more than I can say for Denver or Seattle (Vegas is close to LA).

Now I have a small child and we can't usually afford to fly, so even having the OPTION to drive to places where we have family or friends (Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Madison, St. Louis, Columbus, etc.) is a HUGE benefit, even if that drive can be as long as 12 hours (Minneapolis to Cleveland is 12 WITHOUT a baby!). I simply cannot drive to San Francisco to visit my parents though, and I hate that!

The point wasn't that Minneapolis isn't somewhat isolated, but its relative isolation is definitely overblown at times (probably by people like you)!

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 11-09-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,325,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Salt Lake City has to rank high in this category. Fiction such as "it's all Mormon" (actually less than 50% and decreasing annually) and that it's dry or hard to buy alcohol (there are hundreds of restaurant, bars/microbreweries and other venues where one can imbibe) as well as state-run liquor stores (just like many other states, PA and VA for example). It also has a sizable LGBT community and has had a Democratic mayor in office continuously since 1976 for those that think it's conservative and "non-progressive".
Before SLC became as popular as it is today though, the metro was "overwhelmingly" Mormon. When we visited to go skiing one winter in the mid-late 90's my dad had to purchase a "drinking license" just to have a beer with dinner. I don't know if that still exist in SLC but if it does I'd say that the Mormon culture is still very prevalent there!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Before SLC became as popular as it is today though, the metro was "overwhelmingly" Mormon. When we visited to go skiing one winter in the mid-late 90's my dad had to purchase a "drinking license" just to have a beer with dinner. I don't know if that still exist in SLC but if it does I'd say that the Mormon culture is still very prevalent there!
Yet another outdated stereotype from 20 years ago. The point is it has changed drastically since the 1996 Winter Olympics.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 AM

18,652 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Yet another outdated stereotype from 20 years ago. The point is it has changed drastically since the 1996 Winter Olympics.
2002 Winter Olympics.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 AM

21,971 posts, read 22,145,963 times
Quote:
Make that the 2002 Olympics and your post will be 100% accurate. The liquor laws in Utah are completely different than they once were. I'm involved with Utah tourism and I can't even begin to tell you how pleasantly surprised most visitors to Salt Lake City are. People come here expecting nothing and are blown away by the beauty and cleanliness of the city, the friendliness of the locals, and the huge variety of things there are to do here.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM

24,006 posts, read 32,857,886 times
Dallas.

1.) Southern niceness and hospitality is a myth here. People here are pretty rude.
2.) Anything you've seen on the TV show 'Dallas' is BS.
3.) Horses and cowboys and country music and boots and stuff like that. You hardly saw that even 30 years ago.
4.) Conservatism. Both the city and county of Dallas are blue.
5.) Strong job market. Only relative to some other places, and Texas's unemployment rate, while below the national average, is still nothing to brag about. Most of the new jobs here are low-wage and are filled by immigrants, legal and illegal alike.
6.) Low cost of living. Compared to the west coast or New York, maybe, but that $150k median house value you keep reading about is a myth. You have to go about 20-30 miles outside of Dallas to begin to find houses that cheap in neighborhoods you'd want to live in.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
2002 Winter Olympics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Make that the 2002 Olympics and your post will be 100% accurate.
I knew that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.