U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM

87,011 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I was 13 and at camp in North Carolina, and a girl asked me if I took an airboat to school. Cajuns are awesome, but you won't find them here.
When my kids went to college out of state from Colorado, people asked them if they skied to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
The default language in Miami is English, not Spanish. Certainly Spanish is spoken by many and can often be used but it's not the default language.
People think that you can't survive in Miami without speaking Spanish. That's completely false. Afte 11 years here, I still don't speak Spanish and I get by just fine. That said, I would say that it's harder (but not impossible) to get by in Miami with only speaking Spanish. There are more "doors closed" to non-English speakers than there are to non-Spanish speakers.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What GraniteStater said..... Seriously, that isn't anything when you consider the equipment available up here to clear snow and plenty of popular areas get snow within those ranges.
Try to rationalize it all you want, but that's still a ridiculous amount of snow to have to deal with. You have no idea what a miserable life you have, do you? It's really not your fault; I know plenty of people just like you from the Northeast who never realized how horrible their lives were in upstate NY, etc. until they moved down South and experienced winter without snow.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM

6,836 posts, read 12,856,900 times
one stereotype of new york city that is false is that new yorkers never leave their city.

this is in fact is very false, and is actually a very contradicting statement.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,795,233 times
I'll take a stab:

The Seattle Freeze. Yes, it may come as a shock to people from the Midwest (like myself) that you simply cannot make lifelong friends out in Seattle just by dropping random conversation with strangers; that you largely do not know your neighbors; that people in general aren't up for random conversation.

But you just have to focus on what matters. Like finding friends that like doing what you like doing. Joining a club is a great way to get started out here. Or having kids. Or if you click, at work. I was shocked here that there are a TON of people who met their significant others at work. Back in the Midwest, that's a taboo, to the point that it could very well limit your career if you "dip in the company ink." Here it seems standard operating procedure.

But by no means are people here "cold." By and large, random strangers will help you. Just don't expect buddy-buddy suddenly.

So I dispute there being a "freeze" and more like people are more introverted. And it's a cultural difference.

All Chicago politicians are corrupt. False. By a mile. Many recently have been trying very hard to break the decades of corruption that have greased the wheels of politics. The Feds have been breaking rings. Unfortunately it would appear the mayor's office is the root of it. But to say ALL Chicago politicians are corrupt is a stretch.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,165,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Try to rationalize it all you want, but that's still a ridiculous amount of snow to have to deal with. You have no idea what a miserable life you have, do you? It's really not your fault; I know plenty of people just like you from the Northeast who never realized how horrible their lives were in upstate NY, etc. until they moved down South and experienced winter without snow.
LOL!! I moved down South... made it 2 years before fleeing back North away from the bugs, heat, humidity, and attitudes like yours.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,856,900 times
Quote:
its post like this that ruin these threads. i mean you would of thought it snowed everyday in the northeastern region.

Do you know their are people from the caribbean who dream of living in america because of the snow????

anywho some people despise the constant bugs, sprawl, boring , no urban lifestyle of the south.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,905,266 times
Quote:
What a huge crock. I moved from Upstate NY to NC in the mid 90s and happily moved back to Upstate NY 5 years ago, knowing full well the differences in climate. It is you who is in delusion if you think that snow makes everyone miserable and that we all would prefer a southern summer to a northern winter. Snow is very rarely a huge problem as I have a garage and the streets are cleared quickly and efficiently.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,046,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Minneapolis isn't as cold and isolated as most people believe it is. The key difference is the 3 coldest winter months, when it's about 10 degrees cooler than most of the rest of the Northern cities......that's it.
I've heard Minneapolis has actually become quite a favorite city for young professionals and it has a huge hipster scene with the walkable neighborhoods, trendy art galleries, cafes, etc that go with that. I always had the idea of Minneapolis as a corporate chain store city dominated by the Mall of America.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I've heard Minneapolis has actually become quite a favorite city for young professionals and it has a huge hipster scene with the walkable neighborhoods, trendy art galleries, cafes, etc that go with that. I always had the idea of Minneapolis as a corporate chain store city dominated by the Mall of America.
The city itself isn't very commercialized at all, especially compared to most Midwestern cities. You will have a very hard time finding fast food chains or chains in general within the city limits in most neighborhoods (most, not all). That being said, it's not a hipster and botique paradise either -- maybe a happy medium....IDK. Also, although the neighborhoods are in fact walkable, they are still suburban'esque in many ways, especially beyond the turn-of-the-century housing stock. People from the coasts seem to complain that there are SFH's across the freeway from downtown -- as if there should be miles of brownstones and rowhomes instead. It's just not like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.