U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,422 posts, read 16,984,320 times
Reputation: 9513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
its post like this that ruin these threads. i mean you would of thought it snowed everyday in the northeastern region.

Do you know their are people from the caribbean who dream of living in america because of the snow????

anywho some people despise the constant bugs, sprawl, boring , no urban lifestyle of the south.
Generalize much?!

I live in Savannah, Ga. Of the things you "despise" about the South, we are guilty of one BUGS! And the last time I checked, the places you "claim" to be from had bugs too.

Bottom line: Heavy snowfall is a burden on the NE and makes life unpleasant and difficult for many, many people. Again, you can try and rationalize and minimalize it all you want but that does nothing to change the fact that THOUSANDS of people move South every year to escape it.

The topic of this thread is "overwhelming stereotypes that are FALSE", and trying to say Buffalo does NOT get a lot of snow is indeed a lie. Buffalo gets a ton of snow by any measure. The stereotype is true and I was simply pointing that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM
 
215 posts, read 303,555 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Generalize much?!

I live in Savannah, Ga. Of the things you "despise" about the South, we are guilty of one BUGS! And the last time I checked, the places you "claim" to be from had bugs too.

Bottom line: Heavy snowfall is a burden on the NE and makes life unpleasant and difficult for many, many people. Again, you can try and rationalize and minimalize it all you want but that does nothing to change the fact that THOUSANDS of people move South every year to escape it.

The topic of this thread is "overwhelming stereotypes that are FALSE", and trying to say Buffalo does NOT get a lot of snow is indeed a lie. Buffalo gets a ton of snow by any measure. The stereotype is true and I was simply pointing that out.
I live in Buffalo, and have for all my life, and I definitely think the snow thing is overrated here. It pretty much started with the Blizzard of 77, and now when there is a major snowstorm it tends to make the news, leaving a bad impression. Some winters are rough, and some are mild. It barely snowed here last winter, and I can think of many other winters in my lifetime where it hardly snowed or the weather was mild. As for living a miserable life, well I personally prefer four seasons. Last season there was no snow for Christmas and that was a huge disappointment for me. I also have some friends and family who moved south(the Carolinas), and then moved back up here. I have visited down south, a number of times, one time in August and I can safely say that hot weather like that makes me far more miserable than snow/cold does. Some people like warm weather, some like cold, some like four seasons, there is no right or wrong on a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,184,022 times
Reputation: 16839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

The topic of this thread is "overwhelming stereotypes that are FALSE", and trying to say Buffalo does NOT get a lot of snow is indeed a lie. Buffalo gets a ton of snow by any measure. The stereotype is true and I was simply pointing that out.
That is a false stereotype though. Maybe YOU think that amount of snow is a lot, but it isn't. Not compared to areas that really get a lot of snow. Argue all you want, it doesn't make your stand correct, just makes you look like a fool who doesn't know what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 08:03 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,911,428 times
Reputation: 4239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That is a false stereotype though. Maybe YOU think that amount of snow is a lot, but it isn't. Not compared to areas that really get a lot of snow. Argue all you want, it doesn't make your stand correct, just makes you look like a fool who doesn't know what they are talking about.
Amen; how can you say that "life is miserable" for everyone? How can any individual know what the entire population of a region which in total has about 50 million people feels. Yes, a lot of people, especially retirees, move south for milder winters. But to say "people in the northeast don't realize how miserable their lives are because of snow and they know no different" is probably one of the top 10 most absurd things I've ever read on CD....which is really saying something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,422 posts, read 16,984,320 times
Reputation: 9513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That is a false stereotype though. Maybe YOU think that amount of snow is a lot, but it isn't. Not compared to areas that really get a lot of snow. Argue all you want, it doesn't make your stand correct, just makes you look like a fool who doesn't know what they are talking about.
I don't know what I'm talking about? I think some of you have your heads buried in the snow. "Not a lot of snow!" LMAO!

From THIS VERY SITE: Top 101 snowiest US cities! Seven (7) of the Top 10 are in upstate NY! Including Buffalo!

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Detroit
983 posts, read 1,430,735 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I don't know what I'm talking about? I think some of you have your heads buried in the snow. "Not a lot of snow!" LMAO!

From THIS VERY SITE: Top 101 snowiest US cities! Seven (7) of the Top 10 are in upstate NY! Including Buffalo!

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html
Nobody cares about the "not a lot of snow" part. They care because you seem to think that snow makes everyone miserable and we are oblivious to it. What you are saying is exactly like people saying "people in the south are always miserable because it gets hot and they don't know the difference."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,911,428 times
Reputation: 4239
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Nobody cares about the "not a lot of snow" part. They care because you seem to think that snow makes everyone miserable and we are oblivious to it. What you are saying is exactly like people saying "people in the south are always miserable because it gets hot and they don't know the difference."
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,801,371 times
Reputation: 4125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I don't know what I'm talking about? I think some of you have your heads buried in the snow. "Not a lot of snow!" LMAO!

From THIS VERY SITE: Top 101 snowiest US cities! Seven (7) of the Top 10 are in upstate NY! Including Buffalo!

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

*shrugs*

I think snow is pretty, and fun to play in. I miss snow. I live in an area that gets very little due to the ocean's effects. Though thankfully I don't have to drive far to find it!

To each their own I say. And apparently enough people in upstate NY think it's pleasant enough to live there, and do so. And the weight of millions who CHOOSE to live in colder climates is more than any silly little argument you base on anecdotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,945,654 times
Reputation: 3574
Philadelphia's stereotype is that it is dirty and crime ridden.

Dirty: sure some of the ghettos are dirty, but the majority of the city is not. Some areas that are being gentrified are gritty but most areas in the city are very clean. Most visitors comment on being surprised at how clean it is.

Crime Ridden: Sure there are certain parts of the city that are crime ridden (specifically Central North Philadelphia, Central West Philadelphia, Kingsessing, Point Breeze, Kensington and Frankford), but not all of the city is. There are plenty safe areas of the city that see virtually no crime and more than 50% of the crime in the city occurs in North Philadelphia. Excluding North Philadelphia from the city, Philadelphia is safer than both Boston and San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,159,182 times
Reputation: 3308
So many people think Chicago has those friendly, mid-western types of people. Chicago has the rudest people I have encountered in any city in America, and I travel quite a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top