U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,807,303 times

Advertisements

Does Buffalo receive more snowfall than what is average for the entire country? The answer to that should put the debate to rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:18 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,169,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I don't know what I'm talking about? I think some of you have your heads buried in the snow. "Not a lot of snow!" LMAO!

From THIS VERY SITE: Top 101 snowiest US cities! Seven (7) of the Top 10 are in upstate NY! Including Buffalo!

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html
Seriously? That is a list of cities with a population over 50,000. There are hundreds of smaller cities that get more snow than the top city on that list. Some 2 or 3 times as much. Just because you are a wimp when it comes to snow doesn't make it FACT that 50+ inches of snow is a lot. 100" isn't a lot really, anything 170+ gets to be quite a bit, but doesn't make life miserable as you claim. You don't seem to have a good grasp on the realities of snowfall and how it works. Snow falls, but doesn't all stay all winter; it melts, compacts and doesn't just keep piling up all winter. A winter that you get 100 inches, you may never have more than 24" on the ground at any one time. Roads are plowed and clear 99% of the time and the 1% they are not isn't that big of a deal.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,097,261 times
Cincinnati isnt that conservative

Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 PM

639 posts, read 939,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Generalize much?!

I live in Savannah, Ga. Of the things you "despise" about the South, we are guilty of one BUGS! And the last time I checked, the places you "claim" to be from had bugs too.

Bottom line: Heavy snowfall is a burden on the NE and makes life unpleasant and difficult for many, many people. Again, you can try and rationalize and minimalize it all you want but that does nothing to change the fact that THOUSANDS of people move South every year to escape it.

The topic of this thread is "overwhelming stereotypes that are FALSE", and trying to say Buffalo does NOT get a lot of snow is indeed a lie. Buffalo gets a ton of snow by any measure. The stereotype is true and I was simply pointing that out.
People are miserable in the Northeast because of the snow and can't live a pleasant life? Please, stop with the trolling. Some people like the change in seasons and beat the snow by being active and doing winter sports.

BTW, the west is far superior to the south, both weather and lifestyle. California, Colorado, Arizona, Washington, Oregon >>>>>> anywhere in the Southeast.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM

11,175 posts, read 22,381,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I'll take a stab:
All Chicago politicians are corrupt. False. By a mile. Many recently have been trying very hard to break the decades of corruption that have greased the wheels of politics. The Feds have been breaking rings. Unfortunately it would appear the mayor's office is the root of it. But to say ALL Chicago politicians are corrupt is a stretch.
I've noticed that as well. The city has a strong history of corruption back in the day. Today it's by far the favorite past time of the media here to uncover ANY corruption they can possibly find. There are overly stupid things people do that they get caught for, but for the most part the machine and the hard core corruption has been stomped out by extremely hungry feds, state officials and the media. They throw huge BREAKING NEWS stories here about crazy corruption, and then it turns out it's a local official who was collecting $2 to $3 per employee for the right to wear jeans to work instead of the normal dress code. The money went towards picnics, staff events or local charities. I mean maybe it wasn't the best, but I've heard of these type of random office things going on in other cities/states and it's not OUTRAGEOUS CORRUPTION like it's branded in Chicago. There is certainly corruption here, but overall it's not much worse than many other areas, it's just very media driven and "legendary".

Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
So many people think Chicago has those friendly, mid-western types of people. Chicago has the rudest people I have encountered in any city in America, and I travel quite a lot.
The reason why people think that Chicago has those friendly people is because they have encountered those friendly people when they traveled or lived there. I hear that time and time again when I tell people that I am from that city.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times
Here's a US snow cover map from January 2011 that shows Atlanta with more snow than Buffalo so I take back everything I said.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,155,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The reason why people think that Chicago has those friendly people is because they have encountered those friendly people when they traveled or lived there. I hear that time and time again when I tell people that I am from that city.
I must have bad luck then. Some of the most arrogant, pompous, demanding people I have met are from that city. And what drives me crazy is that people who are from Chicago seem to think that they are the nicest people around. At least New Yorkers admit that their behavior is stand offish and comes off rude to others. Chicagoans just seem completely oblivious to it.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
When I used to live in San Diego and was visiting elsewhere a lot of people would ask me if I surfed. I've never touched a surf board in my life and very people I knew surfed. Yeah it's big there but the vast majority of people don't surf in SD.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I must have bad luck then. Some of the most arrogant, pompous, demanding people I have met are from that city. And what drives me crazy is that people who are from Chicago seem to think that they are the nicest people around. At least New Yorkers admit that their behavior is stand offish and comes off rude to others. Chicagoans just seem completely oblivious to it.
Did you meet them in the city? Maybe the mean ones left because they didn't fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.