Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Going back to the OPs question

Boston- The people are not cold and racist, like what is claimed on CD. The people might not strike a conversation with a stranger on the bus or the checkout line, but that doesn't mean their cold. In fact, most people I know who are from Boston are kind, friendly, and pretty outgoing. As for being racist, people must be joking. Sure the people may have a more "preppy, white-bred" vibe but that doesn't equate to racist. Many of the people and college students in Boston are so liberal minded, they would be horrid about the fact that people would think they're racist.

NYC- New Yorkers are not rude. Aloof and rushed on the surface is a better term to describe New Yorkers because of the "rat-race" lifestyle. Once you talk or get to know many New Yorkers they're quite friendly. I actually found downstate New Yorkers to be a lot more extroverted, outgoing, and more willing to meet new people than their fello
w Upstate New Yorkers.
I haven't had many good experiences with people from Boston, but then again, I rarely come across them.

I find most New Yorkers to be delightful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 PM

630 posts, read 994,814 times
Philly! It's not even close to even being a smaller version of NY. It's downtown is not even large. It's mid size for the size of this city. It's more of a historical city than a cosmopolitan city as its people usually point out.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I haven't had many good experiences with people from Boston, but then again, I rarely come across them.
There are definitely those who live up to the Boston stereotype, but from what I've observed it's not the majority.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 AM

146 posts, read 190,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
one stereotype of new york city that is false is that new yorkers never leave their city.

this is in fact is very false, and is actually a very contradicting statement.
Wow I never heard that one. But It does seem like when they do relocate out of NYC their always back visiting often.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 AM

94 posts, read 160,210 times
Seattle, WA doesn't have pouring rain for 9 months straight per year. It's the drizzling type of rain most of the time. I didn't have to use an umbrella.

Little Rock, AR is not the most dominant Redneck city there is. You must be thinking Jackson, MS or Oklahoma City, OK. Little Rock is mini Memphis but excellent economy with 40% being African-American, some Hispanics, and mostly white collar workers working for government, education, finances, and insurance. There are also a few manufacturing industries for blue collar workers. I was impressed during my 4 years of living there.

Denver, CO actually has cold and dry winters. The closer you are to the Rockies, you can get snow.

Indianapolis, IN is not Naptown with everything in Downtown being closed by 5 PM.

Columbus, OH is not a Cowtown. Most cities in the Midwestern have agricultural lands outside the city limits anyway.

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (Twin Cities) is not in the Rust Belt.

Nashville, Chattanooga, & Knoxville, TN are not the Hillbilly Cities. Hillbillies actually live in more isolated, rural communities near or on mountains, such as Crossville, Cookeville, Crab Orchard, Townsend, Pittman Center, and Newport, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:52 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
-soon to be home of the official 'badge' of hipsterdom, an Ace Hotel (the sixth in US and only one not on a coast - others in Seattle, Portland, Palm Springs, NYC and LA)
Hipsters sleep in hotels? I thought they slept in backstreets with a needle stuck on their arm? Or is that bohemians? I always get those too lots mixed.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
The stereotype for San Francisco, the Nanny State City, is that they are so full of themselves that they like to smell their own farts and their most common physical ailment comes from patting themselves on the back. I have never been to San Francisco so I'm unqualified to weigh in on the stereotype. For all I know it was started by some jealous people in Los Angeles with no bridge to jump off of.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
Indianapolis, IN is not Naptown with everything in Downtown being closed by 5 PM.
NAPtown is a cooler way of saying IndiaNAPolis. Depending on who you ask, of course. Is the "everything in Downtown being closed by 5 PM" sentiment a common stereotype? I definitely agree with you. This one is false!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Hipsters sleep in hotels? I thought they slept in backstreets with a needle stuck on their arm? Or is that bohemians? I always get those too lots mixed.
Hipsters try hard to not try. For Bohemians it comes more naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.