U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will be the next state to raise maximum speed limit to 80 mph?
Arizona 12 13.33%
Colorado 4 4.44%
Idaho 0 0%
Kansas 4 4.44%
Louisiana 0 0%
Maine 1 1.11%
Montana 21 23.33%
Nebraska 4 4.44%
Nevada 7 7.78%
New Mexico 9 10.00%
North Dakota 4 4.44%
Oklahoma 7 7.78%
South Dakota 3 3.33%
Wyoming 5 5.56%
Other (specify) 9 10.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:15 PM

5,552 posts, read 6,980,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averill View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Before 1974 Tennessee was the only state east of the Mississippi with aspeed limit higher than 70. On rural limited access highways it was 75(65night) for cars and 65(55 night) for trucks. I know Indiana and Ill. were 70. Ithink the Ohio Turnpike was 70(65 night), with other interstates being 65.Maine was 70. Most other New England states plus PA were 65(trucks 55). NJ wasinteresting. Most expressways were 60 with the Garden State Parkway at 65 southof Asbury Park. The Atlantic City Expressway was 70. Most of the southernstates except Tenn. were 70. Almost all of them had lower night speeds. Stateslike Florida and Georgia had multiple speeds on a road for different vehicleswith lower night speed. Nevada and Montana had no rural speed limits on any of theirrural highways. I don't even know if they placed any kind of sign. After theend of the 55 Montana did place a night speed limit sign on their highways,however. I was around 10 years old when I saw these. I think I'm right on mostof them. But I'm human. Also, Quebec, Ontario and Manitoba had pre metricspeeds of 70 MPH. Route 99 from Surrey to the tunnel had a stretch of about 10miles where the Maximum was 75mph. This is that section in the Frasier Valleythat is as straight as a stick. This was lowered to 60 MPH in 1976, however.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Averill Hecht[/SIZE]

The Ohio Turnpike speed limit used to be 75mph for all vehicles 24 hours per day.

The speed limit in Ontario used to be 120 km/hr (74mph).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,570,412 times
Not sure why California hasn't done it yet. Everybody goes that fast anyway...traffic permitting of course

Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,830,197 times
Sorry, if this was already brought up, but Montana at one time had no daytime speed limit. None. However, you could be pulled over under the reasonable and prudent law. Montana was also famous at one time for giving the cop a 5'er or 10, and be on your way. I'm thinking the 1960's and early 70's here, and again for a few years in the 90's. Somebody has more knowledge.

Last edited by pw72; 07-01-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Not sure why California hasn't done it yet. Everybody goes that fast anyway...traffic permitting of course
California has two issues with raising the speed limit. Maybe three. First, California, while does have some wide open spots, is generally dotted with areas of congestion from Sacramento south to the Bay Area, and then of course through the Central Valley into the heavy SoCal area.

Second, Californians have always loved speed. This is well-known. Keeping the limit at 70 allows for greater fines for those who exceed greatly.

Third, and this one is more of a grey area, but insurance costs in CA are already among the highest in the country. Raising the speed limit will increase the rates. Wait, that really isn't a problem for the insurance companies, but could be for residents.

If I was a California resident I would just be happy that most in the state know the rules, and know how to keep right. Try that in Washington, or Illinois, or Florida.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 PM

Utah is an interesting case. About five years ago they tested a short section in central-south Utah on I-15 at 80 MPH. Since then, they have opened up many more miles beyond the test area. I would be interested to know if fatalities and/or accidents have increased since these changes.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 PM

12,657 posts, read 10,501,376 times
Is this happening in less dense, less populated states with less traffic overall? I haven't heard of anywhere raising the speed limit to 80 and it sounds a little frightening to me! Raising the limit to 80, to me, translates to people pushing 80… if 80 now is considered speeding, what's speeding when 80 is legal?

I don't think this will ever happen in my region… to much traffic. I heard not too long ago, and I don't know how accurate it is but it does make sense, that NJ is a state with some of the fewest driving related deaths because of how much traffic we face daily… we tend to drive slower overall because of traffic. But, we have many fender benders because of people not paying attention in tight traffic. Based on this and my own personal knowledge of driving in my area, I doubt we will ever raise our speed limit to 80. That doesn't mean people don't already go that fast though…

Just found this link below, our numbers are pretty low compared to a lot of other states, and we are the most densely populated - a lot of people in a small area yet we do decent on traffic deaths. Raising the speed limit will not help our cause, I don't think. Interesting thread, as I said I didn't know this was occurring anywhere.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1104.pdf

Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,600,930 times
A very empty state with not many decent sized cities. So the Dakotas, Montana, and Wyoming.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:08 PM

494 posts, read 673,357 times
Was talk here in Michigan not long ago of moving it up from 70mph to either 75 or 80 on the rural sections of interstates/freeways aka limited access highways.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 PM

494 posts, read 673,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Is this happening in less dense, less populated states with less traffic overall? I haven't heard of anywhere raising the speed limit to 80 and it sounds a little frightening to me! Raising the limit to 80, to me, translates to people pushing 80… if 80 now is considered speeding, what's speeding when 80 is legal?

I don't think this will ever happen in my region… to much traffic. I heard not too long ago, and I don't know how accurate it is but it does make sense, that NJ is a state with some of the fewest driving related deaths because of how much traffic we face daily… we tend to drive slower overall because of traffic. But, we have many fender benders because of people not paying attention in tight traffic. Based on this and my own personal knowledge of driving in my area, I doubt we will ever raise our speed limit to 80. That doesn't mean people don't already go that fast though…

Just found this link below, our numbers are pretty low compared to a lot of other states, and we are the most densely populated - a lot of people in a small area yet we do decent on traffic deaths. Raising the speed limit will not help our cause, I don't think. Interesting thread, as I said I didn't know this was occurring anywhere.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s1104.pdf
Ever drive I-95 between from Wilmington to Philly? The average is 80 ( except during rush and far right lane ) which i did and still had people blowing past me. Ofcourse most slow down upon arriving at the airport in Philly which is a known ( by some ) hotspot for cops to nab speeders. Blew me away when some of them states raised it to 65mph which i thought would never happen.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 PM

5,552 posts, read 6,980,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Was talk here in Michigan not long ago of moving it up from 70mph to either 75 or 80 on the rural sections of interstates/freeways aka limited access highways.

Michigan's 70mph freeway speed limit is illegally underposted. State law requires speed limits be posted at 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds. The average speed on I-696 in Detroit is 85mph, well above 70. And that is in an urban setting. Michigan used to have many 2-lane roads posted at 65mph before the 55mph nonsense started in 1974.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or