U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:20 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is Michigan or Arkansas showing to attract people?

For me I would not really go to Michigan as the only thing I can see them offering is see the great lakes. I can however do that in Upstate NY and Niagara falls. As for the upper peninsula or northern Michigan wilderness, I can probably see the same fauna and flora in French Canada or New England. Not saying anything is wrong with Michigan, I am sure it is a nice state and can offer someone something from further south.

Now Arkansas has the Ozarks. What is the Ozarks like? Is it a spectacular range? Univ of Arkansas is called the Razorbacks, so I assume the feral pig population is huge. Is there a huge hunting industry in Arkansas that caters to outsiders?

Arkansas Parks and Tourism Couples TV Ad - YouTube

Pure Michigan Ad - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,503 times
I like this ad for Georgia as well, but I may not be impartial. Life here is like a Disney movie of course! Excepting that we have lost the Thrashers

Georgia Tourism Video - YouTube

Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
South Dakota(most annoying ad ever) Michigan California and Montana.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM

983 posts, read 1,428,914 times
When I lived in South Dakota, they advertised North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana a lot.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,959,899 times
I don't think any state tourism department advertises like this anymore. Florida's "When You Need It Bad, We've Got It Good" campaign of the 1970s was arguably the BEST of all time.

When You Need It Bad We've Got It Good (1970s) - YouTube

FYI -- The "I Love New York" campaign was created by a guy from Savannah, GA.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:15 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,018,212 times
Here in the UK California has a lot of adverts even though not that many Brits visit California compared to Florida. We do see the occasional advert for Florida but it is actually quite rare apart from the Disney resorts of course. And a couple of years ago there was an advert for Montana I believe.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times
I'd put Virginia at the top of the list by a considerable margin. It has a large number if attractions, and benefits from its close proximity to Washington. The strong military presence guarantees a lot of short-term visits nand/or residents. And the tourism-promotion agencies. private as well as public, are active and well-finanaced.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 AM

7,225 posts, read 8,235,579 times
I live in North Carolina, and I think every 3rd commercial here that isn't car dealership related is something for visiting Myrtle Beach.

I used to see a lot of Alabama ads as well as the occasional "Virginia is for lovers" ad.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
For me I would not really go to Michigan as the only thing I can see them offering is see the great lakes. I can however do that in Upstate NY and Niagara falls. As for the upper peninsula or northern Michigan wilderness, I can probably see the same fauna and flora in French Canada or New England. Not saying anything is wrong with Michigan, I am sure it is a nice state and can offer someone something from further south.
Actually I used to think the same thing. These commercials made me think twice and I went one summer several years ago to a beach town on Lake Michigan called Saugatuck. I've been back every summer since. If one has a pulse these commercials do really influence one to visit. Here's a few, all are narrated by Michigan native son Tim Allen.

Pure Michigan Commercial: "Lost and Found" - YouTube

Pure Michigan Commercial: "Back Yard" - YouTube

Pure Michigan - "Trailhead" - YouTube

Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 AM

4,165 posts, read 4,617,184 times
Here in Indianapolis we got our share of Michigan ads, we also get a lot of Ohio ads as well. In fact, I feel like we get more Ohio ads than Michigan ads here.

I used to live about 5 miles south of the Michigan state line in Indiana. I've been to many parts of Michigan and it is a beautiful state. Tourism is a huge industry there. From the forested hills of the UP to Isle Royale National Park in the middle of Lake Superior to the quaint villages along the Lake Michigan shore, it is very pretty up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or