U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 PM

6,207 posts, read 6,364,366 times

Advertisements

What states advertise tourism in your state the most on TV? Here in NJ, I constantly see the same old Visit California TV commercial, that showcase celebrities surfing, hiking, eating. I must admit, they are working. I like to do things in the water, see nature, and eat.

I actually went to California like 2 years ago, and took a wilderness survival course there. I figure I could do all the activities at once. The school is located in Tehachapi, and Kern County has some beautiful scenery and the FOOD IS MAGNIFICENT.

The only thing is California is so huge. I could not do everything I wanted to do unless I stayed a whole month. They should advertise small parts of it on TV. Like do ads for Palm Springs, Kern County, Sonoma Counties all separately. I think they would get more bang for their fees.

And here is the link to that schools if anyone is interested:
Home

So what states do you see tourism ads for a lot in your home state? I really dont see any for Texas, or Florida, or Alaska in NJ. I wonder why. Does anyone see ads for NJ? I am thinking PA and NY might because of the proximity to NYC and Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Prior to election season I was seeing a fair number of Pure Michigan commercials though think they're nationally televised versus regionally. TV advertising is too expensive for most state tourism boards and tend to see more print advertising as a result.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,336,084 times
Michigan, South Carolina, and strangely, Arkansas.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Prior to election season I was seeing a fair number of Pure Michigan commercials though think they're nationally televised versus regionally. TV advertising is too expensive for most state tourism boards and tend to see more print advertising as a result.

Very true- Dont think anything but the election is being advertised right now (it at least seems)

I love the back to back

This dude is an idiot

followed by the other dude saying this dude is an idiot

It plays at all levels so I guess we just have to choose the lessor idiot right up from the extreme local to the extreme national - these adds turn me off to everyone

On topic - Here in the Philly market it seems NJ, NY, VA, and FL have the most adds (not sure what order, may depend on the time of the year)

the Do AC NJ campaign seemed pretty visible for a while

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM

6,207 posts, read 6,364,366 times
What is Michigan or Arkansas showing to attract people?

For me I would not really go to Michigan as the only thing I can see them offering is see the great lakes. I can however do that in Upstate NY and Niagara falls. As for the upper peninsula or northern Michigan wilderness, I can probably see the same fauna and flora in French Canada or New England. Not saying anything is wrong with Michigan, I am sure it is a nice state and can offer someone something from further south.

Now Arkansas has the Ozarks. What is the Ozarks like? Is it a spectacular range? Univ of Arkansas is called the Razorbacks, so I assume the feral pig population is huge. Is there a huge hunting industry in Arkansas that caters to outsiders?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is Michigan or Arkansas showing to attract people?

For me I would not really go to Michigan as the only thing I can see them offering is see the great lakes. I can however do that in Upstate NY and Niagara falls. As for the upper peninsula or northern Michigan wilderness, I can probably see the same fauna and flora in French Canada or New England. Not saying anything is wrong with Michigan, I am sure it is a nice state and can offer someone something from further south.

Now Arkansas has the Ozarks. What is the Ozarks like? Is it a spectacular range? Univ of Arkansas is called the Razorbacks, so I assume the feral pig population is huge. Is there a huge hunting industry in Arkansas that caters to outsiders?
Chicago gets bombarded with Michigan ads on tv. Just YouTube "Pure Michigan" and you will see what it's all about. They are actually really effective ads.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Michigan immediately comes to mind, I can't recall other states that advertise although I know others do.

Here in the Bay Area I actually see tv and billboard ads for San Diego more than anywhere else.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM

225 posts, read 300,396 times
Nevada - Las Vegas "everything that happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"

Oddly enough, Hawaii as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:56 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,745,842 times
Here in SF I regularly see ads for Oregon and Hawaii, as well as Las Vegas and San Diego.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,503,272 times
South Dakoooo-ohta

Thats the typed out jingle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or