U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2017, 11:53 AM
 
5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Reputation: 4911

Advertisements

I don't associate the MCM homes with sidewalks. We might narrow it down considerably if anyone knows of MCM neighborhoods that include sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2017, 01:40 PM
 
21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Reputation: 19614
There are a ton in Florida despite the perception the bulk of the building boom here occurred in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Cities like Tampa, Clearwater, Sarasota, Winter Park and Fort Myers have some good selections that fit the OP's criteria.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...08_rect/12_zm/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...006_rect/9_zm/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/Winter-Park-FL_rb/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...53_rect/10_zm/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...82_rect/12_zm/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Reputation: 3625
Aren't the Palm Springs MCMs all very expensive? Phoenix has somewhat affordable MCMs, around 400k-700k. But they are in some of the most central parts of towns, around even more expensive homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,534 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Aren't the Palm Springs MCMs all very expensive? Phoenix has somewhat affordable MCMs, around 400k-700k. But they are in some of the most central parts of towns, around even more expensive homes.
Yes, but only in certain neighborhoods known for their celebrity (past) presence. Many mid-century Hollywood stars had homes, some as vacation homes, in some of these neighborhoods. Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra and Liberace all had homes in Palm Springs at one time. There are other mid-century neighborhoods that are still reasonably priced in Palm Springs. Lucille Ball and Bob Hope had homes down valley outside of PS. There are countless others.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 04-08-2017 at 11:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, but only in certain neighborhoods known for their celebrity (past) presence. Many mid-century Hollywood stars had homes, some as vacation homes, in some of these neighborhoods. Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra and Liberace all had homes in Palm Springs at one time. There are other mid-century neighborhoods that are still reasonably priced in Palm Springs.
I love mid-century moderns. Always wanted to own one one day.

Though I try to remember that reasonably priced is a much different price in California than elsewhere, even in the inland areas. "Reasonable" needs a clearer definition.

Phoenix has many, many mid-centuries but they aren't always modern, that's the trade-off. Phoenix mostly has 50-70s ranch homes OP also mentioned, mixed in with the MCMs. The mid-century ranches are everywhere. Most MCMs were designed by two architects, Ralph Haver and Al Beadle, though there is also Frank Lloyd Wright and a few others that designed a few.

Ralph Haver designed most of the MCM single-family homes, whereas Al Beadle mainly focused on condos and town homes. One of Beadle's most well-known works are the Beadle Boxes, they are some really cool lofts in the Camelback East neighborhood.

MCM Enclaves in Phoenix by Ralph Haver:
- Starlite Vista
- Marlen Grove
- Mayfair Manor
- Northwood Homes
- Town & Country Manor
- Town & Country Paradise
- Town & Country Scottsdale (also commonly known as 72nd & Oak)
- Windermere

MCM Enclaves in Phoenix by Al Beadle:
- Bridgewood North
- Camelback Place
- Executive Towers
- Paradise Gardens
- The Boardwalk
- Three Fountains

Here is the cheapest MCM I can find here in Phoenix, a 2 bedroom at $264k, very white but in good condition albeit smaller. You can get them more reasonably if they aren't attached to famous architects, which most are not. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3.../7819220_zpid/

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 04-08-2017 at 11:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2017, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,534 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
A good question about Palm Springs. Up until recently, Palm Springs was very affordable either with single family, condos, or apartments. The end of the recession has brought prices back up.

Define affordable in California? Well, it was certainly more affordable than the rest of Riverside County to the west, and greatly more affordable than LA County. I actively scouted condos in late 2014 in PS and found some decent 1-BR condos in good condition at 120K or less. Try that today, no such luck. And even then, you couldn't find anything similar in Riverside Co. to the west under 200K. Single family homes have also increased in the past two years. Thinking back, I should have bought in PS, but hindsight is of course 20/20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
A good question about Palm Springs. Up until recently, Palm Springs was very affordable either with single family, condos, or apartments. The end of the recession has brought prices back up.

Define affordable in California? Well, it was certainly more affordable than the rest of Riverside County to the west, and greatly more affordable than LA County. I actively scouted condos in late 2014 in PS and found some decent 1-BR condos in good condition at 120K or less. Try that today, no such luck. And even then, you couldn't find anything similar in Riverside Co. to the west under 200K. Single family homes have also increased in the past two years. Thinking back, I should have bought in PS, but hindsight is of course 20/20.
See and it's really easy to buy under 200k here in Phoenix. I mean it won't be a MCM but it may be a small mid-century ranch (again, they're everywhere) and not in the best area of town but it's no southside Chicago. Average home prices right now are around 250-300k here in Phoenix.

I expected Palm Springs to be a bit more affordable than LA but then again the Californian desert is arguably the least desirable area out of that entire state. Palm Springs doesn't have the jobs or affordability as Phoenix at the end of the day. I also would never live in California for a million of reasons, though California has it's positives.

It sounds like in PS you couldn't get a SFH until at least 500k, or am I wrong?

Here is a 2 bedroom Ralph Haver mid-century modern condo in the Town & Country Manor community, built right next to the Biltmore, a popular area for high-end shopping and jobs, priced at $175k and in fairly good condition. Seems like a nice place if you ask me: 5226 N 20th St Unit B6, Phoenix, AZ 85016 - realtor.com®

It's just baffling sometimes how much more expensive California is, as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,534 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
See and it's really easy to buy under 200k here in Phoenix. I mean it won't be a MCM but it may be a small mid-century ranch (again, they're everywhere) and not in the best area of town but it's no southside Chicago. Average home prices right now are around 250-300k here in Phoenix.

I expected Palm Springs to be a bit more affordable than LA but then again the Californian desert is arguably the least desirable area out of that entire state. Palm Springs doesn't have the jobs or affordability as Phoenix at the end of the day. I also would never live in California for a million of reasons, though California has it's positives.

It sounds like in PS you couldn't get a SFH until at least 500k, or am I wrong?

Here is a 2 bedroom Ralph Haver mid-century modern condo in the Town & Country Manor community, built right next to the Biltmore, a popular area for high-end shopping and jobs, priced at $175k and in fairly good condition. Seems like a nice place if you ask me: 5226 N 20th St Unit B6, Phoenix, AZ 85016 - realtor.com®

It's just baffling sometimes how much more expensive California is, as a whole.
Agreed for the most part. But PS is not the least desirable area in the entire state. The weather is markedly better during the winter, and even in early summer where CA coastal areas suffer from marine morning cloudiness. "The June Gloom" as the weathercasters love to say. Yes, too hot in the summer, but again, many celebs spent their winters here, not their summers.

PS is not a big job center, for sure. However, the gay culture seems to be strong there, and loves the area and that creates many tourist/hospitality/restaurant opportunities. Not sure if that is a longterm answer, but for now it seems to be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Agreed for the most part. But PS is not the least desirable area in the entire state. The weather is markedly better during the winter, and even in early summer where CA coastal areas suffer from marine morning cloudiness. "The June Gloom" as the weathercasters love to say. Yes, too hot in the summer, but again, many celebs spent their winters here, not their summers.

PS is not a big job center, for sure. However, the gay culture seems to be strong there, and loves the area and that creates many tourist/hospitality/restaurant opportunities. Not sure if that is a longterm answer, but for now it seems to be working.
Maybe the Central Valley is less desirable. Though the desert falls towards the end on the options in California. California desert has taller mountains which is a pro, but isn't nearly as lush. Weather between the two is practically the same with negligible differences.

Cloudy weather is nice sometimes lol but not always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,534 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Reputation: 4115
There is certainly a divide in the valley. You start with Palm Springs, which has become a very middle class gay-mecca, but still with a significant family population, and some still very small, but upscale neighborhoods. Moving east, you run into Cathedral City, then Palm Desert, and eventually Indio. As you move into Palm Desert the more upscale it becomes, but then into Indio is a different world. The whole valley is a story of three different populations. PS is middle class, gay, and still the center of the valley. Palm Desert is upper middle class to outright wealthy, and then Indio is lower middle class to downright poor. An interesting population diversity in the Coachella Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top