U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 10,118 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So as the title said, I'm looking for a place I can live during christmas and summer (and possibly during march).
So it will be a short term. And during shorter vacations than summer, I will look for somewhere I can rent a room on a weekly basis.

My family's not here anymore (but I'm a green card holder, so absolutely legal to stay here and work here), originally from NY (the city). And now going to school in a New England area. Dorm closes during the vacations, and I needed place to go. I am personally not in favor of getting invited another house, because it feels pretty uncomfortable. Since my budget is tight, I was thinking of getting a temp job and work and rent a small studio or 1 BR. I looked up some cheap towns, and most of them were south. I'm not planning to go back to NYC, because as you know, I won't be able to afford it. I got used to rural environment, so both rural and suburban are okay. But (as I'm from NYC), I don't have a driver license, nor have I a car... This is the biggest problem now. I need to go somewhere commutable.

I'm gay, as the title shows, and I've been openly gay for a few years, and I've never had a problem where I live and go to school. But whenever I got a temp job, I didn't see any reason why I would talk about my sexual preference. And I will keep the same attitude. So, I do not mind it's openly gay friendly or not. It's gonna be for short time, so I really don't need to come out and be gay. I will even go to TX if I need to (although I heard Austin is rather gay-friendly). It's temporary, and I don't mind. But even if it's not the most friendly place, I don't want to risk my safety or job status in case I'm outted by someone else by any chance. I grew up in a very homophobic place before I moved to NYC, so I know what it is to be in a homophobic place.

And temp. jobs... Since I don't have any experience, and most jobs don't take temp job for two weeks or three.. I'm even thinking of working in a factory or warehouse, if they are the only places that hire workers temporarily (not even seasonal, but temporary). And in case there is no rents I can get during those two and three weeks vacation, staying in a bigger town would be better, since there probably would be a cheap dormitory style youth hostels (or hostels). The city I came up with so far is Memphis, TN, and I'm still thinking of New England area, but New England seems def more expensive than South.

Do you guys have any idea what towns might be a good move? I've only lived around New England, so I don't know anywhere below New York City well... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,524,928 times
New Hampshire might work for you

Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,781,078 times
I've heard Columbus, OH is quite gay-friendly, and relatively cheap. Don't know about the job situation though.

You might also look into upstate New York.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 PM

56,982 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I've heard Columbus, OH is quite gay-friendly, and relatively cheap. Don't know about the job situation though.

You might also look into upstate New York.
Yeah, I was thinking of Ithaca as a possibility.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:20 AM

21,258 posts, read 30,535,410 times
Consider Ann Arbor, Michigan. It's a very liberal college town (University of Michigan) with a lot going on and the ability to sublet an apartment cheaply while many UM students are back at home while you're there over break. Ann Arbor has a very low unemployment rate as well (just 5.0%).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Arbor,_Michigan

Last edited by kyle19125; 11-10-2012 at 05:28 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,713,882 times
Atlanta, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or