U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
 
396 posts, read 910,995 times
Reputation: 403

Advertisements

I was born near the KY/TN border in 1980 and was not raised to say it nor was I ever chided by any adults for not saying it. One shows respect by one's actions, not by some hollow pleasantry tacked onto the end of a sentence and said out of habit. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,006 posts, read 32,864,305 times
Reputation: 27539
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Besides Florida, I haven't been to the south-are kids down there still taught to say it, or is it becoming less and less common? What areas is it the most common in?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 PM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I was born near the KY/TN border in 1980 and was not raised to say it nor was I ever chided by any adults for not saying it. One shows respect by one's actions, not by some hollow pleasantry tacked onto the end of a sentence and said out of habit. Just my 2 cents.
yeah, no adult ever got on to me for not saying it either. I always associated it with strict parents. I picked it up eventually and now I say it, but I know plenty of people who never say it. And I agree that it doesn't automatically make a person more respectful. It's a cultural thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 AM
 
568 posts, read 850,491 times
Reputation: 1107
I'm 27 and use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Lincoln, NE (via SW Virginia)
1,644 posts, read 1,797,380 times
Reputation: 1053
It's alive and well in Virginia where I grew up...the southern part of it anyway. Once you get into Yankee-hell (NOVA) it may be another story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,082 posts, read 2,903,482 times
Reputation: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yeah, no adult ever got on to me for not saying it either. I always associated it with strict parents. I picked it up eventually and now I say it, but I know plenty of people who never say it. And I agree that it doesn't automatically make a person more respectful. It's a cultural thing.
No adult ever got onto me for saying it but my parents taught me to say it. When I was a kid we went to Nashville when the amusement park was open there during an event about NASCAR and my parents actually got complimented when I used "sir". This would have been in the mid 90's. Not sure if it is more expected in Southeast Missouri or not but I never had that happen anywhere else really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
No adult ever got onto me for saying it but my parents taught me to say it. When I was a kid we went to Nashville when the amusement park was open there during an event about NASCAR and my parents actually got complimented when I used "sir". This would have been in the mid 90's. Not sure if it is more expected in Southeast Missouri or not but I never had that happen anywhere else really.
It probably has to do with rural vs urban. In urban areas in the South it's not as common or expected because there are a lot of transplants. I grew up near a military base and many of the kids weren't from the South, so they didn't say it. Yeah, you'd expect military kids to say it, but they usually didn't. I always associated it with strict, very Christian families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 02:01 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Reputation: 5742
I was raised/taught early to use such terms when addressing adults, especially with strangers...along with "please" and "thank you" and "you're welcome."

In fact, so ingrained is the habit, that I still naturally do it today, especially with older folks.

And I taught my own children (now grown with kids of their own), to do the same. And for my son -- when he was just a little boy -- to shake a man's hand firmly, and look in him in the eye, and say something like "nice to meet you, sir". And my daughter to say the same, sans the actual handshake.

*shrug* Some might call it "outdated" or "stuffy"...but lots of us in Texas/South just consider it "Good Manners"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2012, 02:07 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
Hell naw. That yes sir, yes ma'am sh*t only exists in VA and further south. Country people in Maryland do it but that's it.
LOL Bet you all's interactions with one another are something to be a source of pride and used as an example for the next generation, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM
 
Location: North Texas
24,006 posts, read 32,864,305 times
Reputation: 27539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I was raised/taught early to use such terms when addressing adults, especially with strangers...along with "please" and "thank you" and "you're welcome."

In fact, so ingrained is the habit, that I still naturally do it today, especially with older folks.

And I taught my own children (now grown with kids of their own), to do the same. And for my son -- when he was just a little boy -- to shake a man's hand firmly, and look in him in the eye, and say something like "nice to meet you, sir". And my daughter to say the same, sans the actual handshake.

*shrug* Some might call it "outdated" or "stuffy"...but lots of us in Texas/South just consider it "Good Manners"
I was raised to use ma'am/sir, to say "please" and "thank you" and to hold doors open for people, and to always respect my elders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top